Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You just said it in a nutshell right there.

I'm not saying the social interaction is a bad thing for your photography. Whatever keeps you motivated, but if the competing thing is really "all" that's going on in your club then maybe it's time to find another, better one. Photo clubs should be supportive, not destructive. Not everyone in them is a pro and they shouldn't be expected to be.
I guess its not all thats going on, but it feels like thats it, sometimes. There are comps for electronic, colour, b&w, nature. And it just seems like everyone is working for the comps and not much else. I can't go there. Sadly, I have heard that all the other camera clubs in my area have nearly the same core membership so the comp mentality isnt going to be different anywhere.

I don't think theres anything deliberately destructive, the Prez et al are always encouraging people to enter comps all over (including all over the world)... thats what excites them, and they are really good at a) doing the photography b) doing the photoshopping and c) winning medals and comps, everywhere. They try to give us the same skillset through the tutes, but the photograph aspect is becoming less and less...or rather has become a subset of computer graphic skills.

I'm bailing out because competition is not my bag. I joined the club in the hope that I would learn more actual photography, rather than photo manipulation. I'd like to be reminded of the basics every so often, but they seem to be past all that. Anyway, its wasnt hard to make the decision, the club meetings are held a long way from home and on a cold and miserable night I stay home in any case

06-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I had Noah give it a try; he didn't quite have the hand strength to wield both at once

(maybe I should have taken the grips off first)
At a boy!
Nothing spells PRO like stereoscopic camera yielding.
I'd try it with our K-5's but I don't think I could live through the stress of allowing one of our children holding anything of value in your home
06-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
At a boy!
Nothing spells PRO like stereoscopic camera yielding.
I'd try it with our K-5's but I don't think I could live through the stress of allowing one of our children holding anything of value in your home
Well, that was my original reason for purchasing the K200D; he kept asking to use my K-5 and I was getting a little nervous that he might eventually drop it
06-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote

A little constructive criticism isn't always bad. From someone qualified to give it it can help a lot, but more often it's a case of too many non-qualified people having an "opinion" and of course everyone always thinks they're always right. It's too easy to get to doubting yourself all the time when people who who don't even know you feel free nitpick at your work. Everybody online (or in some clubs) thinks they're entitled to rip you apart just because they don't "like" something you do. Because it doesn't particularly appeal to them it's not supposed to have any merit at all.
Meant to remark on this as well. Constructive criticism is excellent and I like getting it. The problem is that on comp nights there's still only a couple of hours and the judge has to get through hundreds of photographs. There are always 4 categories on the go, and you can enter two in each... I don't.. but multiply that by at least 70 active members and you have the makings of "impossible to get noticed": there just isnt time to speak to each one. So as a newbie B grader, you often get ignored. Thats just as bad IMO. I'm not robinson crusoe there, either. Lots of others are suffering the same fate. I also hate that Pentax is regarded as "less", which I need to get over.

06-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I hear you on the hating Pentax being regarded as less. I'm a member of other forums and it can tend to be all about the canikon crowd. But I'm starting to care less about brands and more about the actual quality of the shot and from what I can see (I don't claim not be biased lol) my Pentax shots are as good as theirs and in some cases, better. I try to remember that it's not about the brands, it's about the wielder of the camera
06-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Hallo Kyteflyer, I was 6 years old when I got a beautiful red kyte, which took me some time to learn how to fly. In my heart I stll fly that kyte. I fly around when going out with my k5. My 3 sons are sort of grown now and if anything raising them (all 3 of them really autistic) grew a profound dislike inside me of all forms of competions, all forms of "this is as it should be" forms of criticism. And so on. There have been times all I wanted was to fly a kite with my boys, send up little notes along the rope to the wind to tell the universe how much we love just to be. All my highly clumsy photography is about this feeling. People should play more, be more imaginative and more forgiving and not so imposing. So often I'd like to ask why this picture, what made you want it, do you have an answer. I ask myself that question a lot. If I can answer it and if I can refind my answer in my pic, I am happy. The tool for this venture? A k5 and, since recently, an e-pl2 (oly). Photography, so to say, as a bandage for my wounds, and not as a, so to say, a victim doll to be beaten apart. Photography as my new old-age kyte.
06-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I hear you on the hating Pentax being regarded as less. I'm a member of other forums and it can tend to be all about the canikon crowd. But I'm starting to care less about brands and more about the actual quality of the shot and from what I can see (I don't claim not be biased lol) my Pentax shots are as good as theirs and in some cases, better. I try to remember that it's not about the brands, it's about the wielder of the camera
The thing is, its not me caring about the brands. I dont look at theirs and wish I had one. I don't hide in corners in case someone notices I am a Pentaxian. I am out and proud, so to speak. Its them. THEY are the ones who need to realise that Pentax cameras are not just inexpensive, they are also very very good. THEY are the ones who need to get over their pomposity. The only thing *I* need to do is ignore them

We...we're fine!
06-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
Photography, so to say, as a bandage for my wounds, and not as a, so to say, a victim doll to be beaten apart. Photography as my new old-age kyte.
we all have different reasons for photographing things, and yours are just as valid as anyone elses. I still fly my kites when I can, though its a rare event these days

06-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I want but don't have a K5 yet (can't justify the expense at the moment) but I've had a lot of camera bodies over the last 40 years. Some I liked more than others, but as long as the bodies were functioning, none of the differences have really determined whether I liked photography or not, or whether I liked my photos.

I've read the posts and really don't have much of an impression as to what is going on other than that I doubt that it is the camera.
06-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

I've read the posts and really don't have much of an impression as to what is going on other than that I doubt that it is the camera.
I thought I had made that pretty clear in my first post. I *know* its not the camera.
06-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I thought I had made that pretty clear in my first post. I *know* its not the camera.
I'm sorry, but that was not clear to me. I was probably thrown off by the last two paragraphs of that post:

QuoteQuote:
I know... I'm rambling... just needed to put it out there. I guess putting this all in writing also crystallises my thinking a bit more. The only decision now is to decide whether to get another k-r or wait to see if theres going to be another K-something later this year.

Anyone else facing this quandary?
For purposes of discussion, what is the quandary, then?
06-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Sadly, I have heard that all the other camera clubs in my area have nearly the same core membership so the comp mentality isnt going to be different anywhere.
Find 2 people you really get on with at your club and just organise to do the things the 3 of you enjoy... You said (in an earlier post) that you enjoy the photowalks... Do them! Most clubs round my neck of the woods have a sort of diary of events/talks/workshops... Just go to the ones you have an interest in and skip the rest and do a photowalk with the 2 buddies instead...
06-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm sorry, but that was not clear to me. I was probably thrown off by the last two paragraphs of that post:

For purposes of discussion, what is the quandary, then?
The indecision. I often become indecisive if things arent working out the way I want. Like I said, theres nothing wrong with the camera, its me. I did better with both the K200 and the K-r. The K-5 is a wonderful camera in the right hands. I just wasnt sure those were mine.

Dont see the confusion, to be honest.
06-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Find 2 people you really get on with at your club and just organise to do the things the 3 of you enjoy... You said (in an earlier post) that you enjoy the photowalks... Do them! Most clubs round my neck of the woods have a sort of diary of events/talks/workshops... Just go to the ones you have an interest in and skip the rest and do a photowalk with the 2 buddies instead...
Thanks Dave. I joined the club because of friends already in it, and we already do photowalks, which is really nice. I'll continue with that, and have already taken my leave of the club.

I'm also taking the advice given here and in other places and by friends, to just take the camera and one lens and just go do it. So the K-5 isnt going up for sale yet, and I will not be buying anything new (unless, of course, pentax release a mirrorless with an aps-c sensor <g>). Going to go out and shoot. I've got the 43 stuck on the cam so off I go. Will I post anything? not until I am satisfied with my stuff.