Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crisis of conscience? Something...

Like many of you, I was busting a gut to get a hold of something "better" than my K200D. I eventually came to the K-5 by way of the K-x, K-r and selling the K200D.

For whatever reason, I have simply never adapted to using it properly. I have tried and tried to be as happy with it (especially considering I paid over $1600AU for it) but I am not. I sold the K-x a year ago... no issues with that, it wasn't right for me. I sold the K200D shortly after acquiring the K-5. I sold the K-r before getting the K-5.

When I look at my photographs, I am seeing a general deterioration in quality. It is not the camera, I'm certain of that. I just think its more than I need, more than I want. I was caught up in the excitement of wanting the next best thing and there it was. Now, I wish I had been a bit more circumspect.

I was definitely doing a LOT better with both the K200 and the K-r. These days when I go out with the K-5 I have been coming home, reviewing everything in iPhoto, and deleting. I should have said "if" I go out with the K-5 because more often than not, I leave it at home.

I don't have anyone to answer to as far as my spending is concerned but I'm thinking here I let myself down. The K-r was enough camera for me. I love my limited lenses, and I am seriously considering selling the K-5 with its 2 WR lenses (I'll never sell the limiteds) and buying another K-r.

I'm never going pro (gawd, I'm an old lady!) and phtography has only been a hobby for me for the last 30 years, my days of doing weddings, promo shots etc are well over.

I know... I'm rambling... just needed to put it out there. I guess putting this all in writing also crystallises my thinking a bit more. The only decision now is to decide whether to get another k-r or wait to see if theres going to be another K-something later this year.

Anyone else facing this quandary?

06-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It hasn't happened to me, but I understand how it could happen to someone. Today I PP-ed a dozen of pics taken with my K200D (sold) almost three years ago. I love my K-x and the images it produces, but I was surprised by the vividness of those three year old pics. They seem so... "alive" K200d is a truly exceptional camera. The features, the weathersealing, the top lcd, and the sensor... I prefer the K-x for the smaller size and weight, but K200d's images @ISO 100-200 can't be produced by my current camera.
06-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't say I'm having the same crisis. Aside from using a camera for product shots, I've never made a single nickel from taking photos. I am firmly happy with the K5 however and don't regret for one second going from the K7 to the K5 (and didn't regret going from the 10 to the 20 and from the 20 to the 7). If you are unhappy with it though, then perhaps it Isn't the camera for you. Unload it and get something you're more happy with. Sucks to spend that much money and be dissatisfied.

06-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I sometimes wonder if its the CCD? Does that have an effect on the images? My K200 shots were way ahead of anything I have produced since having it. The K-r went close and I would get another because I do like the live view for framing up when its on a tripod. Also.. its light. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

06-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
... If you are unhappy with it though, then perhaps it Isn't the camera for you. Unload it and get something you're more happy with. Sucks to spend that much money and be dissatisfied.

Sigh... what a bloody waste though, eh? There I was thinking I would have the best of both worlds ( I do really like having 2 edials, I love TAv mode, and I love that top LCD screen) but ... its not enough, if I dont first think of the K-5 when I am heading out, and instead take the G11 and GRD3.

OR maybe I just have way too many cameras
06-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I'm not a big fan of the kit lenses. I do think the K5 is too much camera for them, if there can be such a thing. Try hanging one of the limiteds on the camera and see where that gets you.

I used the 43 all last month for the Single in May game and this month, it's the FA77..

Pentax K5 - a set on Flickr

All lenses are ID'd in the file names.

(after 4+ years, I would be absolutely LOST without 2 e-dials).

06-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd love to have a K5, but it's way out of reach financially for me at the moment. I'm not sure why you'd have a deterioration in the quality? Is it the colour? Is it grainy? OOF?

I see you're from Newcastle, I grew up there

06-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote

That makes 3 of us (assumimg the OP did as well and the assumption that I've ever grown up).
06-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #9

Kyteflyer I do know exactly how you feel. It's hard to put into words though. I took a similar path, my first Pentax was the K-x. I liked it but didn't love it, sold it and bought a K200d, then a K-7. My K200 is up for sale. I do love the K200d, the slow clunky beast makes wonderful vibrant images in good light. My favorite photos are from this camera.

Perhaps you have found that the joy of taking photos is not directly related to having the latest and greatest camera. This is a mature and honest approach and you should not feel sorry for it. If you can't have fun with the K-5 then don't feel bad about selling it.

You can send it to me if you want, I'll give you my K200d in return :-)

Greg.
06-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Personally I'm not a big fan of the kit lenses. I do think the K5 is too much camera for them, if there can be such a thing. Try hanging one of the limiteds on the camera and see where that gets you.
I don't really use the WR lenses, they are just for if I want to go out in storms. The 43 lives on the camera, with the 15 if I am in the mood for something wide.

I'd love to have a K5, but it's way out of reach financially for me at the moment. I'm not sure why you'd have a deterioration in the quality? Is it the colour? Is it grainy? OOF?

Its me, not the camera. Settings, lack of motivation to learn differently...not sure.
Yeah Newcastle

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
That makes 3 of us (assumimg the OP did as well and the assumption that I've ever grown up).
Grew up in Wagga, actually. Only been in Newie (off and on) since the late 70s
06-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by InlawBiker Quote

Greg.
LOL! Dream on, Greg
06-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote

Its me, not the camera. Settings, lack of motivation to learn differently...not sure.
Yeah Newcastle

Grew up in Wagga, actually. Only been in Newie (off and on) since the late 70s
Ah ok, well then sit on it for a while (the decision, not the camera lol) and then decide whether you want to look at selling it, or keep trying with it.

I lived in Newcastle from the mid 70's (born then lol) and lived there until I was 15. My Mum and Dad lived and grew up there as well, they're around your age I think
06-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah ok, well then sit on it for a while (the decision, not the camera lol) and then decide whether you want to look at selling it, or keep trying with it.

I lived in Newcastle from the mid 70's (born then lol) and lived there until I was 15. My Mum and Dad lived and grew up there as well, they're around your age I think
lol. yeah.. I'm OLD!

Newcastle is a nice town. I came in from Sydney, went back for a while but have been here constantly now for 23 years. Getting a mortgage helped too. Newie got a death grip on me (or was it hunter health. a bit of both, really)
06-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nope, sorry. Can't say I'm unhappy with my recent "upgrade" at all. I really liked my *ist while it lasted, but my K-x still beats it hands down. I honestly can't ever imagine trading this camera in. The K-x is a terrific camera. I'd rather keep it as a second body even when I can finally afford a K-5 or the later equivalent thereof.

I know the K-r is supposedly a bit better, but actually I like the K-x better. I've finally seen a K-r and I didn't think it was quite so elegant actually. It's a bit boxy compared to a K-x and I think I actually prefer the K-x to the K-r. So is the K-5 but for that kind of "upgrade" I guess I'd have to deal with it.

Probably I will upgrade at some point a few years down the road as I am going pro but I'm in no great hurry now that I have the K-x. It's more than enough camera for me for now from what I can tell. I'm very comfortable with it.

That's what it's all about really. If you're not comfortable with the camera you're using after a decent interval of using it then swap it out. If a K200D is "your" camera then get another and use it. Maybe you just don't need the bells and whistles of a K5. So what? What brand you use, what camera, it's all about finding yourself the tool that fits YOU best.

We've all felt the lure of a new and supposedly better toy, and okay, maybe technically the K-5 is the superior camera for most. But maybe it's just not the best camera for you and that's perfectly okay. If everybody liked the same thing all the time there wouldn't be as many cameras digital or non digital out there. But there are and (gasp) some people they're still shooting with film cameras that are decades old because they like it and it works for them.

The camera is a tool. You're the PERSON making your pictures. The camera isn't the big deal in terms of your photography, YOU are.

06-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by InlawBiker Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
LOL! Dream on, Greg
Ok, I'll send you a pair of K200D bodies (both with grips) for that K-5. Final offer