Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PC interface for configuring settings?

Is there a PC utility that will allow configuration of the camera's settings via a web or other interface and save them to camera, as also on the PC as a profile?

11-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Is there a PC utility that will allow configuration of the camera's settings via a web or other interface and save them to camera, as also on the PC as a profile?
Some of the setting yes, Pentax's own free Remote Assist application.
11-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Has anyone used Pentax Remote Assistant on GX-10?
11-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Has anyone used Pentax Remote Assistant on GX-10?
No but I do not believe it is supported.

11-14-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is on my wish list. I believe N&%$n has such a feature.

One of the things I really want, is to have the ability to change the file name prefix.

Using adobe color space, the file name is always _IGP####.

what do you do when the odometer rolls over at 10K, and how do you distinguish between cameras.

why not allow the first 4 characters to be what ever you want, for example istd and k10d so I can tell shots from my 2 cameras apart.

I store all files by origonal file name and do not rename them when I download.
11-14-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I totally agree Lowell and it is a real pain when 2 shots from different cameras or the counter has rolled over happen and the numbers are the same.
11-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I store all files by origonal file name and do not rename them when I download.
Well, uh, there's your problem.

I use jhead as part of the script I run to copy the files from my SD cards (it also makes automatic backups). (Jhead doesn't work on RAW, of course, so you'd have to use exiftool or something for that.) First I extract the cameramodel into the variable $cameramodel (using awk) and then
run "jhead -autorot -nf%Y%m%d-$cameramodel-%f" on each file. This preserves the original filename (%f), and prepends the date and camera model.

11-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

I use jhead as part of the script I run to copy the files from my SD cards (it also makes automatic backups). (Jhead doesn't work on RAW, of course, so you'd have to use exiftool or something for that.) First I extract the cameramodel into the variable $cameramodel (using awk) and then
run "jhead -autorot -nf%Y%m%d-$cameramodel-%f" on each file. This preserves the original filename (%f), and prepends the date and camera model.
I understand I could do that but WHY should I have to?
11-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What would really be nice, would be to uncripple the KAF2 mount to allow M and K lenses to meter wide open.
11-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

I just use Vista's built in image importer and rename all of the files at time of transfer from the SD card. If downloading multiple cards, it's as easy as making a new folder or tagging them with either Pentax or N* to keep them separate. Using Pentax's PEF support patch for Vista, it's no worry at all.
11-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I understand I could do that but WHY should I have to?
I suppose if the formatting allowed was flexible enough (ie, able to include the full date, not limited to old-DOS 8.3 filenames, able to have enough digits to avoid roll-over) it wouldn't be necessary.

But in the meantime, since the camera doesn't do it, I think it makes sense to rename them to something rational as soon as possible.