Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K100D: Second Life

My old Pentax K100D begins its second life today, after sitting and gathering dust since 2008. I sent it out on "extended loan" to my favorite dancing girl, accompanied by the gift of a book on beginning SLR photography. I passed them to her today when we gathered at an old folks home to put on a show for the residents. As soon as she got a few minutes break between her appearances on stage she ran back to the dressing room and brought it out to try her hand at a few shots of the others dancing.

Pentax K-5
Tamron 17-50/2.8
National PE-320S

Some of you who may have ventured into the Takumar Club thread may recognize this young lady:

Pentax K-5
S-M-C Takumar 35/2

She is fifteen now, and has been dancing since she was about four years old and now does it with the same effortless grace with which birds fly. She is the only one who has shown an interest in using a camera and I sometimes take a spare along or let her use mine for a few minutes during rehearsals and she shows great promise for being able to spot shots.

06-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a very cool story.
06-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a K20D for a backup for myself and nobody in my family shows the slightest interest in using a camera. And I couldn't see just letting the K100D sit around gathering dust when there is a young person who will appreciate it and get some use out of it. I call it an "extended loan", but so long as she is getting some good out of it she is welcome to keep it. I have no need for it. I also gave her an old manual focus Sigma 35-70/2.8-4 that I have no use for. The K100D has a split-screen focus screen installed and she already knows how to use it.
06-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Even better. And nice point about the old manual lens. When I sold my K20D (GX20) to a mate, I specifically threw in a 50mm manual lens as a learning tool for him (Primarily because I know how much my manual focusing skills suck)

06-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Technique comes later. She was having too much fun for me to spoil it with kibitzing.
06-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Good story to read and as usual beautiful images to go with it.
- my *ist DL2 and several lenses are on permanent loan to my son for all the same reasons. Lenses are the Sigma kit it came with when bought a K 55 1.8 lens, and a tokina 70-200. He has added a bit more gear to it including a Pentax strobe.
-I am just pleased he has shown an interest.
06-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The gift of Pentax! Can't go wrong with that.

I gave my little sister my K110d, DA18-50 and DA 50-200 last year... I'd rather see her use it than just have it sitting on a shelf here.

Pat
06-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
The gift of Pentax! Can't go wrong with that.
So true I recently gave my son a K200D and a DA35/2.4 start taking pictures with and he's been doing really well with it so far.

06-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Nice move, Mike! I hope she may join PF and share some pictures!

The only camera my daughters show interest in is my Auto 110... but the film is $9 a roll! Plus it is my own new toy, so hard to share. :-)
06-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My old Pentax K100D begins its second life today, after sitting and gathering dust since 2008. I sent it out on "extended loan" to my favorite dancing girl, accompanied by the gift of a book on beginning SLR photography...
Lucky girl. The K100D remains a great camera. I remember when everyone was swooning over the latest DA lens, you would post dazzling K100D+M42 images. You could really make that old glass dance. In fact, some of your shots inspired me to explore older lens combinations. A ton of fun.

I see you are now using a K-5. Great move... Bet your old glass likes it, too.

Cheers...
06-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Touching account, Mike.
She's just experienced the inheritance factor of Pentax.
Nice shots too.
Thanks for sharing.
06-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #12

I'm selling my K100d to my best friend, with a $50 best friend discount lol. I hope she enjoys it.
06-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have a K20D for a backup for myself and nobody in my family shows the slightest interest in using a camera. And I couldn't see just letting the K100D sit around gathering dust when there is a young person who will appreciate it and get some use out of it. I call it an "extended loan", but so long as she is getting some good out of it she is welcome to keep it. I have no need for it. I also gave her an old manual focus Sigma 35-70/2.8-4 that I have no use for. The K100D has a split-screen focus screen installed and she already knows how to use it.
Very cool Mike. I'll bet that was very rewarding.

I sometimes wish I still had my K100D, it was a great little camera, small but solid, fun to shoot, and it gave me fantastic results.
06-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the very nice comments. I'd multiquote and make specific replies, but I am on my iPhone at the moment.

It was indeed very gratifying to see how pleased she was to receive the camera. I pointed out that it was a few years old and hence technologically slightly behind the times, but that it was the same camera I used when I first shot their dance recital. She has photos from that, so no further elaboration on the K100D's potential was necessary.

It also gratifies me greatly when I hear my Takumar shots encouraged someone else to give M42 lenses a try. Those are the only times I know any of my photos had any meaningful merit beyond amusing myself. I don't think my photos themselves are inspiring; I specialize in the mundane. But if the way the lenses rendered a scene inspires someone else to want to try them I am just as tickled as a proud parent whose child got picked for the lead in the kindergaten's Christmas play.
06-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Cool story Mike! I hope she enjoys it enough to venture even farther. I myself have handed down the K100d to my younger brother. Before him I have lent it to two friends for several months, one of them is the person who assured me when I bought the K100D that "The brand doesnt really matter" She hasn't bought her own DSLR yet, still a film shooter.

And just last week I bought another k100d from a local member here for the wife to use She love the colours from that camera. I do agree with her and think that the k100d colors is the best one can get without going full frame or K-5 class sensor.