Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Would you trade a K-x for a K20?

Been offered a K20d body for 200... Bargain.

But to get it I'd have to sell my K-x....

I like the view finder in the K20 infinately more than the K-x (now use an OM-53-magifyer which imo improves things somewhat) and 2 control wheels would be good... WR and build quality on the K20 is a plus too...

What differences am I looking at in terms of image quality though? Low light?

Pros and Cons please...

06-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it works better for you, sure, do it. But me personally, probably not. I like my K-x too much to go backwards...
06-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
If it works better for you, sure, do it. But me personally, probably not. I like my K-x too much to go backwards...
its really only backwards if you need really high ISO, otherwise, the K20d whips the Kx's butt. Better build, weather sealed, dual controls, better brighter viewfinder, larger buffer, top LCD, PC-sync socket, battery grip ready,...

In my opinion, the K20d is a much better camera, but if you need the high ISO that the K-x brings (and don't need all the rest of the stuff listed above) then the K-x is the right camera.
06-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I would only if I didn't intend to shoot at ISO1600 or above. So for me that means I'd hang onto my K-x ...... and save for a K-5.

06-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

There are other factors such as weight if you're going to be carrying the camera all day, and the difference in batteries.

Depending on what you want to do with the camera it might make sense or not.

Paul
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

K20D has intervalometer, grip option, and focus points, adjustable program line for P (not sure about K-x).
06-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I wouldn't trade it bargain or not. Got a usable camera already right? Maybe save money towards the K-5
06-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #8

It depends on what you're doing right? I traded a K-x for a K-7. I'm still not sure it was a good idea. I loved the K-x but once I tried cameras with bigger viewfinders, external controls, top LCD, WR... etc I got hooked.

But now I use the K-7 and I sometimes miss the simplicity and awesome high ISO ability of the K-x. But it feels like a real camera and is a lot more fun to use.

You can make a case for either one but part of me thinks I shoulda just kept the K-x.

06-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Much good advice above. I chose the K20D as my first dSLR 3 years ago because 1) it supported the lenses I wanted, 2) it got fewer user complaints than anything else in its class, 3) it has pro camera controls and build, and 4) I didn't want to be driven to 'upgrade' anytime soon.

I haven't used a Kx but from what I read, its main features are 5) great high-ISO capability, and 6) small size and weight. Of course the Kx also does video, and has more built-in image tweaks. To over-generalize: the K20D is more for work and the Kx is more for fun.

If you need tethering, WR, pro controls, etc, get the K20D. If you don't need those but DO need high ISO and video and compactness, keep the Kx.
06-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I bought a K-x for my niece last summer and had a chance to play around with it a bit. For some people the smaller size and lighter weight might be a plus but I found the smaller size a hindrance for my hands and found myself gripping the hand grip tighter than I would on the K20D, with Pentax A 70-210/4.0 mounted. Using the menu to navigate through features was also somewhat annoying. To be fair, if the K-x was my first camera I probably would have adapted to it quite happily but at this point, I would not trade the K20D for a K-x or K-r for that matter.

Thanks,
06-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also had a K20D and K-x together for some time.
Pros and cons are pretty simple: K-x is faster, more responsive and better in high ISO, but K20D is more robust, firm in the hand, customisable, a dream to use and a more professional setup (along with the other advantages listed above). You'd have to decide for yourself whether you want to trade the K-x in for a K20D. Both are great and capable cameras.
06-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
its really only backwards if you need really high ISO, otherwise, the K20d whips the Kx's butt. Better build, weather sealed, dual controls, better brighter viewfinder, larger buffer, top LCD, PC-sync socket, battery grip ready,...

In my opinion, the K20d is a much better camera, but if you need the high ISO that the K-x brings (and don't need all the rest of the stuff listed above) then the K-x is the right camera.
Battery life is better and don't forget tethering!!! I have a cheap netbook that runs XP and I tether all the time.

Additionally, When I got my K-5 I found myself with 3 bodies: K-x, K20D, K-5. I gave my K-x to my daughter because I found the K20D image quality to be far better. Low light being the exception.

Bottom line, if you can live without video and low ISO shooting I would go with the K20D.
06-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I wont. K-x is for IQ, K20D for controls which does not show up in final image quality for me.
06-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I would only if I didn't intend to shoot at ISO1600 or above. So for me that means I'd hang onto my K-x ...... and save for a K-5.
+1. K20d controls are much better, but K-x is stellar when the lights go down. Another way to look at it:

The K20d is for things that don't move and are in good light. Or in the rain.
The K-x is for things that move and/or in poor light.
06-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
Forum Member

I would do that and considered it myself. K20D have a different characteristics from the image and I actually prefer it over Kx.

But of course this is alright if you are not intending to upgrade to the K5 just yet.

I've decided to sell the KX, buy a ricoh GRD3 with this money and get the K5 as well