Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
experienced a shutter failure of any kind on a PENTAX DSLR camera?
Not on Pentax, but yes on Nikon's, but fair play to Nikon it was mainly due to dust, but when you work in the Middle East it's not really a choice, most things come with dust or more dust. The word dust actually means sand

All this was back in the film days and let me tell you it scratched the hell out of the film once it got in the film gate or carriers, no easy clone out in Photoshop in those days.

This is one of the reasons I switched to Pentax and their LX's, as they were dust sealed and I'm still with Pentax many years on and still happy.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-15-2011 at 02:09 PM.
08-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Shutters are rated for a certain number of actuations, but that doesn't mean they will break exactly at 100,000. I would think that with digital cameras being electronic devices, you would be much more likely to have some type of electronics failure than a broken shutter (although I have never gotten past 30,000 or so clicks on any of my cameras -- at 10,000 photos a year, it would take 10 years).
08-16-2011, 04:21 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Does anyone know where the claim of "tested to 100,000 actuations" came from? I see this in a lot of reviews, but I'm not sure if it is documented on the Pentax site.

Thanks
08-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimmy_Dean0 Quote
Does anyone know where the claim of "tested to 100,000 actuations" came from? I see this in a lot of reviews, but I'm not sure if it is documented on the Pentax site.

Thanks

Jimmy,

I can't speak to the K-x, but I've recently been researching the K-7 and I also saw a reference to "100,000" in a review. I then checked the Pentax website for info on the K-7 but couldn't find any mention of shutter life expectancy.

You could try emailing your question to Pentax Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site.
I once had a (vintage) lens question for them, and they answered me quickly.

I think Rondec has it right: 100,000 is just a ballpark figure and something else will likely break before the shutter does.

Tim

08-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the shutter block on my K-x is causing an issue after only 8000 - 9000 actuations, but I am past the 2 year warranty period. I'm disappointed with Pentax's response so far - $270 to repair this issue - $40 for the part, and $180 to install it - plus misc and taxes.

I'm going to try sending a letter to Pentax to pleade my case . Maybe they can offer some coverage - after all, I have bought quite a bit of kit from them (the K-x, AF 540FGZ, their new 18-135 WR lens, and a new K-5 last Friday) and I am a big promoter of Pentax. Several friends have purchased Pentax as a direct result of my advice.
08-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimmy_Dean0 Quote
I'm going to try sending a letter to Pentax to pleade my case .
That's probably your best bet. It's a shame about your camera, but I suppose there's no such thing as a foolproof (or inexpensive to repair) DSLR.

In the future, whichever brand you buy, maybe you should see if you can get an extended warranty. Good luck.
08-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Thanks. I hope they'll help me out. Henry's offers an extended warranty, so I may go back and get that for the new K-5.

We have a photo club at our office, and several of the folks here have asked me to bring in the K-5 to check it out. You never know, we may convert some Canikon users . The K-5 is just amazing
08-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not seen many here who have had failures so I thought I should report one

My K10D failed with the symptom that the bottom of the frame had a dark band that got larger as shutter speed increased. Essentially a single curtain failure above sync speed

Ps tax replaced the shutter mirror and lens mount. This makes me think the camera got dropped but incant recall doing it

Died at about 10.5k cost $325 to repair which i went for , and got te camera back cleaner than it was since I opened the box

Done 5k since with no issue

08-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
In addition to the above questions:
  • Does the 1/6000s maximum shutter speed of the K-x and K-r imply higher precision in the shutter assembly? Does this imply higher reliability and longer shutter life?
  • When PENTAX said that the K-x shutter assembly (which the K-r inherited) "passed a demanding action test of more than 100,000 shutter releases", what did PENTAX mean in terms of shutter life and MTBF?
--DragonLord
The maximum physical shutter speed is 1/180/sec. The higher shutter speeds are from the trigger time of the second curtain. No matter what the shutter speed above 1/180, the curtains can only travel at 1/180 of a second. It's all software settings based on the market level of the camera.

The MTBF is 100,000 actuations. It's an average number based on their testing (or, more likely, what the manufacturer of the shutter mechanism has rated the shutter at). It's not a precise number, it is the expected life of the shutter. Some will fail sooner than that, some after.
08-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I think the 100.000 claim is based upon warrenty time (mostly two years) and having an acceptable number of failures before that number is reached. So when you expect that only 5 % of the camera's in two years will reach 100.000 and you accept a failure rate of 5 % then the number of failures we will see in this forum is very low. Quality of used materials should be taken such figures in account. Only one out of 400 will fail. Selling a product to users who have more actuations (like Nikon and Canon sportsphotographers) would likely lead to more expensive materials to use.

My K-5 black is now at 41.800.
08-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Thanks to everyone who replied. So if the MTBF is 100,000 actuations, on average, I'd have to think that a failure at less than 10,000 is not common, and could probably be considered premature. Honestly, my old film SLR went 30 odd years without an issue, and was still working perfectly when I sold it this spring. To have a mechanical failure in my shiny new DSLR in such a short time is very disappointing. I bought the camera to use it and enjoy it. And i have really enjoyed using the K-x up to now - enough that I bought a K-5 last week. I hope I have not made a mistake with that.
08-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
Forum Member

Only with my istDS

I have owned or currently own the istDS, K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5, K-r, K2000

My istDS shutter assembly failed at about 50K . I sent into the repair center and then it was good as new. Quite disappointed that it lasted only 50K actuations though. But I think the newer Pentax DSLRs are designed for a longer life though. My K2000 currently has about 110,000 shutter actuations and still going strong and it's just an entry-level model so I'll bet the K-r and other recent models have a similar or better longevity.

I sold my K10D, K20D, and K-7 bodies long before they even hit 50K so I didn't give them a chance to show their longevity potential.
08-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I've no experience personally with shutter failure or repair cost. However, I spoke with a pro at local sports event with old Nikon D2H's and he stated he just wanted to keep shooting with those bodies and rebuild the shutters at about $300 a pop. I didn't ask how long the shutters lasted. I don't know why he used such old technology, the bodies looked like enormous tanks and are about 4 MP, I think.
08-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Pentax wants $270.00 to repair my K-x - $59.00 parts, $180.00 labour, plus taxes. Since I have less than 10,000 actuations I e-mailed them and asked them to cover it under warranty - I consider this a premature failure. They offered to cut the labour by 50%, which is generous, but I am still very disappointed. The shutter should not have failed with less than 10,000 actuations. This should be a warranty repair in my book.
08-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Even more disappointing, I reached out to Ned Bunnell, the President of Pentax Imaging, to get his input. I sent e-mail, and a couple of Tweets, directly to Ned, but I did not get any response, not even an acknowledgement. That is disturbing to me. Someone in his position may not have time to acknowledge my concern personally, but he should have someone who responds to these messages on his behalf, even if it is to say "Sorry, this is the best we can do".

Very, very disappointing in my book, and a missed opportunity to strengthen my position as a Pentax Promoter.