Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We just had a shutter curtain go out on our 1DsMII at work. Shooting with it fine and suddenly it starts shutting down and giving us error 99. Opened it up and lifted the mirror to find a bent and jammed shutter curtain that must have scraped along the sensor on its way up (or down). First time I've seen a mechanical part just give out without reason

08-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Ouch - scraped the sensor too - sounds expensive
08-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same symptoms. Bad circuit board

Yes, I had these exact same symptoms with my K10D. The first couple times it happened, it returned to normal like you experienced. Eventually it was permanently clicking wildly. It was a bad circuit board or something like that. C.R.I.S. had to replace the board. Good as new after that though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
... That said, I had a hair-rising experience this Saturday. I was shooting with my K200D that has had 36.000+ shutter actuations. I was shooting macro with a cordless radio release attached and suddenly, after some 50 exposures the camera went truly mad: It started all by itself clicking wildly (as in continuous Hi shooting mode) with no way of stopping it: Remote relase out: No effect. Turned camera off: No effect. Took lens off: No effect. Camera continued cliking wildly. Only after I removed the batteries while the camera was still cliking did this stop. I then reloaded the batteries (Eneloops) and got the message: Battery depleted. Turned the camera on and off a few times and at last got a full charge indication again. The pictures that I had recorded were all there and nothing had been written to the card, while it was cliking wildly.

Now, three days after, my K200D works completely as normal -I event haven't had to recharge batteries yet.

Anybody here having had similar experiences?
08-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
Camera average shutter life

Found this database in the internet

Camera Shutter Life Database

08-31-2011, 05:00 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sa_lontoc Quote

Very interesting link! Hopefully some of the people here will add their data, to flesh out the Pentax statistics.

Too bad it hasn't been updated in awhile for newer camera models.
08-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Well, still no word from Ned Bunnell, or anyone at Pentax. Very disappointing. Pentax service is doing the repair, not under warranty. I hope this is not an indication of Pentax's dedication to customer service and customer satisfaction. Exceptional customer service starts with dedication, and real commitment from the top down - I hope you are listening Ned!

If senior management does not live and breath customer service, and customer satisfaction, no one else in the organization will either. I am in support, and have been for 15 years. Our senior management is 100% committed to customer service/satisfaction. If a customer Tweets about bad service, or posts on Facebook, or sends e-mail to executive staff, all the alarms go off. Managers are calling/contacting the customer and we bend over backwards to ensure the customer is happy. Happy customers talk to their friends about their great experience, unhappy customers tell the world - through Facebook, Twitter, blogs, YouTube etc. The power of the Internet, and social media can spread the news like wildfire.

<end rant> :-)
08-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sa_lontoc Quote

Thanks for posting the link. The data available for the K-x is a little sparse to be relevant, but it's a relatively new camera. The good news is the other Pentax cameras seem to be fairly reliable. So odds seem to be good that my issue is an anomaly - I hope so :-)
09-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Has anyone on this forum experienced a shutter failure of any kind on a PENTAX DSLR camera? Did the camera return any error messages, or did it just fail to take pictures or take bad pictures? How many shutter cycles did the camera have? What happened afterwards? If the camera was repaired, how much did it cost?

--DragonLord
1) Yes (*ist DL)
2) Yes, the camera would let you focus but after taking the picture an error code would display
3) Around 5000, but that's due to the previous owner trying to clean it with a Q-tip on low-batteries
4,5 ) I got a plastic cam that was broken from Pentax for around $20 and installed it myself. Pentax quote was $400 (according to the x-owner).

I'm looking for a parts K-X if you choose to go that route

Last edited by photocanadian; 09-01-2011 at 10:17 AM.
09-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #39

Slightly happy it's not just me

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
A digital camera is like most other electro-mechanical apparaturs - full of wear and tear parts, one of which will eventually break down someday. Usually without warning (ever experienced a hard disk crash or a power supply failure on your PC?).

Shutter failure would be the least of my concerns.

That said, I had a hair-rising experience this Saturday. I was shooting with my K200D that has had 36.000+ shutter actuations. I was shooting macro with a cordless radio release attached and suddenly, after some 50 exposures the camera went truly mad: It started all by itself clicking wildly (as in continuous Hi shooting mode) with no way of stopping it: Remote relase out: No effect. Turned camera off: No effect. Took lens off: No effect. Camera continued cliking wildly. Only after I removed the batteries while the camera was still cliking did this stop.

I then reloaded the batteries (Eneloops) and got the message: Battery depleted. Turned the camera on and off a few times and at last got a full charge indication again. The pictures that I had recorded were all there and nothing had been written to the card, while it was cliking wildly.

Now, three days after, my K200D works completely as normal -I event haven't had to recharge batteries yet.

Anybody here having had similar experiences?
Hi everyone, I'm sure you can tell I'm new to the forum. I have been searching a long time to find someone describe a problem they have had similar to mine and now I found it. I have the K100D and have had similar issues as what Stone G described. This doesn't happen often, I would say 3 times a year at the most. I've had my camera since 2006 and every now and then, no matter what button I push, slide, or dial I turn my shutter will go off on it's own. It never actually takes a picture, nothing never get's written to the memory card. It won't continuously go off like with Stone G, it's only when buttons are pressed, slid, or dials turned, but the shutter will not stop even if the camera is off. If I were to push buttons when it's off or take the lens off, the shutter will go off. It doesn't stop until the batteries are taken out. I normally have to put a different lens on to make it stop. I don't think this happens with just one lens, I think I've had it happen with all of them. I don't have many just 4 but normally use 3, the 4th isn't very good. I haven't taken nearly as many shots as compared to all of you so I'm not so sure that would have caused the issue but I wouldn't rule it out. This happens very randomly and there is no way I could pin point how it happened each time. I could be picking up the camera for the first time for the day, using it off and on all day, or have been shooting constantly for a couple hours. It doesn't matter one bit. I've never been able to get my camera cleaned so I wouldn't be surprised if that's causing it but that's an expense I just can't afford. Any ideas on what I might be able to do? I'm still reading through things here, so I apologize in advance if the answer is somewhere I haven't checked yet.