Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Auto ISO

I am looking for opinions on the reliability of auto ISO. I would use the 200-800 setting. I believe the ability to use exposure comp. would be lost in this mode. Are there any other downsides to it?

11-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dwssas Quote
I am looking for opinions on the reliability of auto ISO. I would use the 200-800 setting. I believe the ability to use exposure comp. would be lost in this mode. Are there any other downsides to it?
On the K100D, you mean?

The AutoISO is part of the same exposure calculation as shutter speed and aperture, so it's as accurate as the rest of the camera's programmed exposure. (Which is to say, good enough in normal use.)

In my experience, it does a good job of balancing all three variables to keep shutter speed decent and still give you a reasonably low ISO. In fact, good enough that I had no qualms about putting it to 200-1600 (with the viewfinder warning at 1600). Better to get an ISO 1600 shot that works than a too-blurry ISO 800 one.

You don't really "lose" the ability to use exposure compensation, but rather, when you activate any EV + or -, the AutoISO is disabled and you're stuck into 200. (The K10D doesn't have this, er, "feature".)
11-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should do some test shots with respect to auto ISO because it does some undesireable things with specifically flash photography.

In low light, auto ISO will strive for the best ISO/Shutter and Fstop first, and not consider a flash is attached, the result is a flash at maximum ISO, when you probably wanted minimum ISO.

I am not sure if there is, any where a good set of curves and explanation of how auto ISO and auto exposure really work
11-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I guess there is no magic setting. I will stay with setting my own.

11-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had mine set on 200-1600 for about a week, then moved it back to 800. I figure that if I know I'm going to be shooting in a low-light situation, I want to make the conscious decision to up the ISO and put it right back down when I'm done.