Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100D default settings

Hi,

I was wondering what settings you use for Contrast,Saturation,and Sharpness? I use the default settings but a usually set my EV at +.3 to make the images brighter. Am I going about it the wrong way because sometimes the sky in the background is washed out when shooting outdoor images.

Thanks an advance for your input. Carl

11-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've gone back and forth with these - and ended up pretty much at the default settings for jpeg.

Certain lenses need EV compensation (the 16-45). For a given site, I'll check the histogram and set the compensation accordingly.

For the conditions you mention, reducing contrast helps. For other conditions I've sometimes reduced saturation.

And if you really really want that shot, shoot in RAW. Or look into split ND filters.
11-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're using bright mode (which I recommend), I suggest turning saturation down a notch to avoid unnatural reds.
11-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Some review sites have been critical of Pentax's default "Bright" tone setting for being overly saturated -

For example dpReview.com under 11. Features (about 1/2 way down the page) -

"Color saturation adjustment
Saturation adjustment allows you to control the strength of color in the final image. It's quite amazing that Pentax could ignore something we pointed out over a year ago when we reviewed the *ist DS, that the default saturation level is way too high. In my opinion the '0' setting should be mapped to '+2' and the '-2' setting would be just right as a default. The K100D's -2 setting (in the Bright tone) has about as much saturation as a +1 setting on any other digital SLR. (Default Bright tone used here). "

(also near top of that page)
"Image parameters
.....the Bright option can lead to over saturated color (especially reds)."

and under Conclusion - Cons -
"Over-saturated default image tone ('Bright'), can lead to channel clipping "

I tend to agree with this view, and have my K100D setting for "Natural" tone.

Samples taken within minutes of each other - so basically the same conditions

K100D Bright Tone

although on first sight looks kind of attractive - it is way over-saturated - almost like the overtly saturated old Kodachrome 25 -
dramatic but almost artifical looking. Look toward the right edge just below half way down - that's supposed to be a tarmac road - notice how "red" it is?

K100D Natural Tone -

even though it's better, the Natural tone is still a bit too warm and a bit over-saturated for me -
eg: the tarmac road is still somewhat pink/red, and there is a definite pink tone to the pampas grass heads too.

compare the tone with my
Canon PowerShot S80 compact camera (default tone/saturation) -

this is much closer to the live scene, and more realistic to me.

Of course tone and saturation are all personal preferences - so YMMV

Last edited by UnknownVT; 11-14-2007 at 04:32 PM.
11-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I pretty much use the default setting except for +2 on the sharpness...
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I pretty much use the default setting except for +2 on the sharpness...
Can you please clarify which one? - since your sig line indicates you own the K110D, K100D(Super) and the K10D.

dpReview in their review had this to say in 11. Features - about the K10D

"Image parameters
Just like other Pentax digital SLR's the K10D has two 'image tone' options of Natural and Bright which define the base color and tone. Unlike the 'consumer orientated' K100D/K110D the K10D uses the Natural setting as its default rather than the more highly saturated Bright. In addition to these 'baseline' image tone selections you can of course change contrast, saturation and sharpness with a range of seven levels for each."

So the default tones for the K110D/K100D(Super) is Bright,
but the default for the K10D is Natural.
11-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Can you please clarify which one? - since your sig line indicates you own the K110D, K100D(Super) and the K10D.

dpReview in their review had this to say in 11. Features - about the K10D

"Image parameters
Just like other Pentax digital SLR's the K10D has two 'image tone' options of Natural and Bright which define the base color and tone. Unlike the 'consumer orientated' K100D/K110D the K10D uses the Natural setting as its default rather than the more highly saturated Bright. In addition to these 'baseline' image tone selections you can of course change contrast, saturation and sharpness with a range of seven levels for each."

So the default tones for the K110D/K100D(Super) is Bright,
but the default for the K10D is Natural.
I use the bright settings and +2 on all three of my pentax cameras..I am very happy with the results..