Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-7 image in semi-finals in Canon's Project Imagin8ion

Not sure if this should be in the K-7 forum or not. IOf it doesn't belong here, please feel free to move it.

Yup, it is true. An HDR image that I submitted to the Imagin8ion contest is 1 of 30 selected as a semi-finialist in the "Goal" category for the fairly large competition. It was taken with my trusty Pentax K-7 last year. I cannot imagine that I would win but still pretty cool to have an image make it that far out of probably thousands.

The object of the contest is to inspire a short film by Ron Howard and his daughter. The contest is sponsored by Canon and will be shot on Canon DLSRs. I believe that part of winning is a slew of Canon products. To be honest I haven't even read the prize packages. I am more excited that out non-profit group might get some cool attention.

The image is of a theatre that our group is desperately trying to get restored.

During the HDR processing, the exif data has been wiped so no mention of Pentax on the actual image but at least I know how it was taken .

Just thought I'd share that the Pentax taken photo was chosen from a Canon group and is now in public voting.

Wish me luck!

EDIT: Adding vote to link after getting a moderator's permission

Link to vote is: http://www.youtube.com/imagination?x=us_hausswf_63825

Voting ends at 11:59PM today (Thursday, June 23rd)

Last edited by Trig; 06-23-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Added link to vote
06-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool! Thanks for sharing and good luck!
06-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

Good luck.

Can you share the image with us?
06-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might be fun to see the image but I'd hold off posting it publicly until the vote ends. Good luck and keep us updated. Or can anyone vote on this? if that's the case, guide us to the voting. I had a look at the images there and there's some amazing stuff.

06-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Cool, hope it comes the long way!
06-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all. I'll keep you all posted. As they say, to get this far is just cool all in its own.

I'd post the link to the voting but I don't want to spam these fine forums. If a moderator tells me otherwise, I will.

Thanks again!
06-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a moderator and I see no issue with you posting the link in this thread. We'll all try to help.
06-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm a moderator and I see no issue with you posting the link in this thread. We'll all try to help.
Cool!

The direct link to the vote is here: YouTube - ‪Imagination's Channel‬‏

Before you click it, the image is a heavily processed, tone mapped HDR image. Look at all the other images and choose what you think deserves the vote. I ask to refrain from a critique of the image as I know that this type of HDR is not everyone's cup of tea.

My image was taken with my Pentax K-7 in June 2010 using my Pentax Fisheye 10-17mm at 10mm.

Our non-profit group that is trying to raise funds to restore the theatre in the image is really excited about getting some nation wide coverage and that many people are viewing the image. We hope in some way it will bring more attention to the theatre.

I thank you for your support!

Again, nothing to sign up for. Just a click to vote and you are done.

06-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have voted for you and I have to say, even allowing for the HDR nay-sayers, that is one hell of an image - just goes to show that HDR can really lift a picture if it is done well

Good luck
06-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
Not sure if this should be in the K-7 forum or not. IOf it doesn't belong here, please feel free to move it.

Yup, it is true. An HDR image that I submitted to the Imagin8ion contest is 1 of 30 selected as a semi-finialist in the "Goal" category for the fairly large competition. It was taken with my trusty Pentax K-7 last year. I cannot imagine that I would win but still pretty cool to have an image make it that far out of probably thousands.

The object of the contest is to inspire a short film by Ron Howard and his daughter. The contest is sponsored by Canon and will be shot on Canon DLSRs. I believe that part of winning is a slew of Canon products. To be honest I haven't even read the prize packages. I am more excited that out non-profit group might get some cool attention.

The image is of a theatre that our group is desperately trying to get restored.

During the HDR processing, the exif data has been wiped so no mention of Pentax on the actual image but at least I know how it was taken .

Just thought I'd share that the Pentax taken photo was chosen from a Canon group and is now in public voting.

Wish me luck!

EDIT: Adding vote to link after getting a moderator's permission

Link to vote is: YouTube - ‪Imagination's Channel‬‏

Voting ends at 11:59PM today (Thursday, June 23rd)

aren't you suppose to get disqualified for that?
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

although I'm not the biggest fan of this type of HDR, I voted since this has more to do of a theme and for your cause. goodluck !
06-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

Could you give us more info on the location of the shot? This looks like an old theater but with the heavy PP, it is difficult to recognise the place.

Thanks in advance..
06-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
aren't you suppose to get disqualified for that?
If you mean disqualified from the contest for the contest for asking people to take a look at it and vote, nope. Suggesting people to vote for you is encouraged. You can even share a specific photo on facebook right from the voting page.

7 of the images with the highest number of votes will be chosen as finalist as well as 3 chosen by the same Canon judges so that not just the popular voted images get to the finals.

Thanks for voting! It will certainly help the groups cause.
06-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Could you give us more info on the location of the shot? This looks like an old theater but with the heavy PP, it is difficult to recognise the place.

Thanks in advance..
You would not know the place anyway because it has been closed shut since 1958. It is located in New Bedford, MA.

Some history taken from our group's website OrphInc

The HISTORY oF the ORPHEUM THEATRE

Although she’s lost a bit of her original luster from neglect, there are few buildings in the City of New Bedford, Massachusetts that have contributed more to the history and culture of the area than the Orpheum Theatre and French Sharpshooter’s Hall. She is the last bastion of a once proud neighborhood that was annihilated by urban renewal in 1960’s when buildings were bulldozed to make way for route 18, a new highway slicing through the city’s historic district.

The Orpheum opened on April 15th, 1912 at a very important time in American history. Little did the people know at the ”Grand Opening” that the Titanic would sink on that very same night. This was just before World War I, when the City’s mills were busy, the economy was good even though the whaling industry was slowly declining.

The Orpheum was constructed under the ownership of The French Sharpshooter’s Club of New Bedford. This esteemed group operated a ballroom and armored shooting range in the building for nearly fifty years. Le Club des Francs-Tireurs had many events such as dances, benefits, and shooting tournaments. The Club was instrumental in raising and training recruits for both World Wars. The theatre was leased from the Sharpshooter’s to the Orpheum Circuit of Boston.

The Orpheum not only presented stage shows, but they were great innovators in the motion picture industry. They would show movies, then named photoplays, in between acts. As the popularity for Vaudeville waned in the 1920’s, the motion picture industry was there to take it’s place and keep crowds packing in. The Orpheum Circuit had many mergers over the years and eventually became Radio-Keith-Orpheum, the RKO famous for films like “King Kong” and “Citizen Kane”. There were over 400 Orpheum linked theaters nationally. The oldest Orpheum Theater still operating is now called the Palace Theatre in Los Angeles. It opened on June 6th, 1911. New Bedford’s Orpheum opened one year later, and appears to be the second oldest in the country.

The New Bedford Orpheum’s location in the neighborhood was central to the community. Water Street was completely lined with shops and stores that were integral to the adjoining neighborhoods. There was a busy trolley that ushered the residents from their homes to the mills, or the many other destinations. The theatre was a place many came to hear the latest events on the newsreels, or to catch up on the latest gossip.
06-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
If you mean disqualified from the contest for the contest for asking people to take a look at it and vote, nope. Suggesting people to vote for you is encouraged. You can even share a specific photo on facebook right from the voting page.

7 of the images with the highest number of votes will be chosen as finalist as well as 3 chosen by the same Canon judges so that not just the popular voted images get to the finals.

Thanks for voting! It will certainly help the groups cause.
I meant for not using a Canon.