Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New electronic design that supports UHS-I and is at least twice the speed of the K-5 in working true the amount of data when shooting in Hi-speed with RAW/Jpg.

07-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I don't have any expectations more than K-5 if they fix the K-5 issues like stain issue, AF crap, other QC issues etc. One thing though, 50 ISO would be nice..
I'm with you. Fix the K5, label it a K3, and I will buy it.

Maybe add just one essential: a flip screen. That's no frill. I have been using a Canon with one for a month, and now I don't know how I got along without it.
07-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
It's broken? Mine seems to be working great; although there was this one time...
07-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote

Maybe add just one essential: a flip screen. That's no frill. I have been using a Canon with one for a month, and now I don't know how I got along without it.
Well I'm not too proud to change my opinion, but I don't get this? I don't use the LCD screen on my K7 now (particularly since Pentax has a pretty good viewfinder). I use a hand held light meter, shoot in manual and look at the images by tethering and/or removing the SD card and inserting it into my computer (with 24" screen).

Can someone elaborate on how an articulating screen can improve my images? Are there 3 good reasons why R&D dollars should be spent on this?

07-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Well I'm not too proud to change my opinion, but I don't get this? I don't use the LCD screen on my K7 now (particularly since Pentax has a pretty good viewfinder). I use a hand held light meter, shoot in manual and look at the images by tethering and/or removing the SD card and inserting it into my computer (with 24" screen).

Can someone elaborate on how an articulating screen can improve my images? Are there 3 good reasons why R&D dollars should be spent on this?
For movie one uses the screen and flipping out of the sun or to another angle so you can see something would be nice.

You are actually saying that you would want a bigger screen on your camera. Maybe with some hassel a 4" widescreen would fit, but that is about it.

When the jpg's in RAW are of better quality then you have better judgement on the backscreen.

When I'm out shooting, not having a laptop in my hands for at least some hours then viewing and optimizing shooting on the screen would be nice.
07-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Well a future that I do like, but don't know to what extend it would be possible:

Fast fps shooting at limited resolution in jpg-only.

Like a video, only just a notch hi-er resolution;

6 megapixel still's at 2 * quality and anything between 30-60 fps would be great.
07-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Can someone elaborate on how an articulating screen can improve my images?
Not sure about 'improving' images however...

It would make shots taken at ground level (especially pointing upward) much easier to obtain...

My partner shoots with a Fuji HS10... She uses liveview most of the time (HS10 focuses MUCH quicker than my K-x in Liveview) but she finds it most useful for the macro shots she takes of flowers and bugs...
Its a set-up that works very well for her style of shooting...
07-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #53

Agree that ground level shooting is tough and an articulating live view screen would help. For these shots I reverse the tripod column and mount the camera upside down. It is tethered to a netbook so I don't need to bend down. I expect I would still do it that way even if the K3 had an articulating LCD.

IMO the only problem with this is the lack of a decent tethering solution. PKtether doesn't seem to support Live View, so I use a Roxio VCRtoDVD dongle and webcam software. I have also used video out to a portable DVD player. both the netbook or DVD player are lightweight enough to use in the field.

I'd still rather Pentax invest in the optics, AF, and a replacement for the AF360/540FGZ flash system.

07-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #54
Veteran Member

So we mainly want a fixed K-5, not just another camera with issues, if they make big changes of K7/K5 form factor in the next camera I'll be disappointed. Those body ergonomics of those so great it's beyond my imagination, except the missing SR button under my thumb, like K200. Also a 1/250 flash sync will be great treat, but I guess this is just a dream.
07-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also a 1/250 flash sync will be great treat, but I guess this is just a dream.
I'm of the opinion that Pentax should really make this (as a minimum) a reality in their next batch of new Ricoh-sponsored DSLR's...
Anything less than the competition in a new 'flagship' camera would be unwise... (IMHO)
07-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #56

Also a 1/250 flash sync will be great treat, but I guess this is just a dream.
Actually the K7, and I expect the K5 support High Speed Sync now, but only with an AF360 or AF540 and only when mounted on camera or using a ridiculously costly combination of F5P cord and Hot Shoe Adapter F (2 required I think). If this thread was "What is Pentax's worst competitive weakness" IMHO it is flash period.

And (I fogot) only in PTTL mode.

Last edited by sandilands; 07-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.
07-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I'd like it if they could make the camera smaller, to be honest.

I love taking out my film pentax (super program). It's so tiny. I realize that the DSLR needs to be a bit bigger, but if they could get the size down, that would make me really happy.

Otherwise, AF accuracy for low-dof would be nice, but perhaps a pipe dream.

*Good* video would also be nice. Something that can compete with the Canon bodies. 1080p. So many great manual focus lenses out there for Pentax... but no video feature worth really using.
09-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #58
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I just noticed that the Q uses 25 point AF. I wonder if that and some APSC variant of its sensor will go into the next K mount dslr
09-28-2011, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Faster AF, more AF points, smaller AF points, AF tracking including multi point integration.
Fix the niggling little design problems with the K5 (buttons really shouldn't fall off).
For something completely different, I'd like to see an end to the built in flash and a return of interchangeable prisms.
Higher sync speed would be nice, but not if shoehorning the revamped shutter into the camera necessitates making the body larger.
I like the K5 size and ergonomics, I'd like to see this chassi, or one very similar to it, stick around.
More megapixels are always nice, but not at the expense of dynamic range.
Bring back full K mount compatibility.
09-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #60
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
For something completely different, I'd like to see an end to the built in flash and a return of interchangeable prisms.
I’ve been saying this for years, but everyone has been saying I’m just behind the times and that such a desire is pointless today because of articulating LCD’s and such...