Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if it was mentioned, but a split prism focusing screen by default would be highly appreciated.

Combined with an option in the menus to choose which type of focusing screen is installed so different effects on metering can be compensated.

09-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Faster AF, more AF points, smaller AF points, AF tracking including multi point integration.
Fix the niggling little design problems with the K5 (buttons really shouldn't fall off).
For something completely different, I'd like to see an end to the built in flash and a return of interchangeable prisms.
Higher sync speed would be nice, but not if shoehorning the revamped shutter into the camera necessitates making the body larger.
I like the K5 size and ergonomics, I'd like to see this chassi, or one very similar to it, stick around.
More megapixels are always nice, but not at the expense of dynamic range.
Bring back full K mount compatibility.
I think these are all good starting points, couldn't agree more, although I doubt highly on the interchangeable prisms, but it would be nice to see pentax offer reasonably priced focusing screens, IMO.
Number of AF points is 'behind' by a good number at this point, and is likely to increase.
The several 'button type of problems' being resolved rank pretty high.
AF tracking we're seeing on a fair number of the newer cams.
I'm fine on the size as well.

I'd also like an 'intermediate' continuous shooting mode, basically a 'medium.' Should be software only, so 'almost free.'
I'd like to see the media door sealing/locking beefed up a bit, it feels pretty weak/easy to leak or break in comparison to the battery door. If it's going to be priced higher end, don't let crappy things like lens release buttons falling off, flimsy/non locking door for SD card, etc., take away from the overall feel of reliability and durability.
Allow additional button customizations, such as for the raw/fx and/or AF buttons - enable/disable sr, basically no reason to not allow most functions to be re-mapped.
Allow for a focus bracketing mode perhaps - this shouldn't be needed I suppose, but with shallow DOF, and sometimes non adjustable FF or BF with some lenses, this could be useful.
Allow AF etc. in video modes, deal with heat to allow for 30 minute+ video without overheat (may be the case already, I don't use video much, but have seen the claims about 5 minute or so liveview - should be solid enough to compare vs the usual competition and MFT cameras).

Mostly just take it, update it somewhat for current sensor, AF tech., some firmware updates, and make it 'no questions asked' dependable.
09-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #63
Pentaxian

In reading the list we could already get 1/250 sync with a better flash we need one with shorter burst time try an AF500. It supported 1/250 on the PZ1
I want true TTL flash for legacy lens flash support, the *istD had it
Dual slots would be good,
mechanical aperture linkage again for legacy glass
Lower minimumISO would also be good
09-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #64
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd love to see some smarter dust prevention thing implemented - some curtain or something. Really simple mechanical thing that closes the inside off, optionally.

09-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #65

KISS (Keep it small SMALL). Things like articulating LCD screens, dual memory cards, dual batteries, or anything that has anything to do with video, yada yada will just add bulk. We don't need them!

What we do need are improvements in the optical path:
Better low light AF. I have to shine a flashlight to focus at more than 5 feet at night.
Lower noise, sensor through to file storage.
Competitive lenses (an 18-270 walkabout, a 150-500, more f/1.4 primes)
I support séamuis' and Wheatfield's posts about prisms, but after using a friend's Sony alpha 33, maybe I'm just too old as well.

A few non optical needs:
1/250 sec flash sync - just to be competitive.
A reworked flash system to compete with the SB900.
Don't get totally rid of the built in flash, but make it a true wireless optical controller that doesn't front light the subject. It should also support wireless HSS and rear curtain sync. Needing two AF540s just to get rear curtain or HSS on one off camera flash is ludicrous.
Tethering! PK tether works, but come on Pentax, you can do better.
ISO 25 would be nice, but a set of ND filters works
09-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I'd love to see some smarter dust prevention thing implemented - some curtain or something. Really simple mechanical thing that closes the inside off, optionally.
It's there now, and called a shutter.

Remember, the shutter is closed for 99.9999% of the time regardless of whether a lens is attached or not.
09-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It's there now, and called a shutter.

Remember, the shutter is closed for 99.9999% of the time regardless of whether a lens is attached or not.
Why do we still get dust on the sensor then???
09-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
KISS (Keep it small SMALL). Things like articulating LCD screens, dual memory cards, dual batteries, or anything that has anything to do with video, yada yada will just add bulk. We don't need them!

What we do need are improvements in the optical path:
Better low light AF. I have to shine a flashlight to focus at more than 5 feet at night.
Lower noise, sensor through to file storage.
Competitive lenses (an 18-270 walkabout, a 150-500, more f/1.4 primes)
I support séamuis' and Wheatfield's posts about prisms, but after using a friend's Sony alpha 33, maybe I'm just too old as well.

A few non optical needs:
1/250 sec flash sync - just to be competitive.
A reworked flash system to compete with the SB900.
Don't get totally rid of the built in flash, but make it a true wireless optical controller that doesn't front light the subject. It should also support wireless HSS and rear curtain sync. Needing two AF540s just to get rear curtain or HSS on one off camera flash is ludicrous.
Tethering! PK tether works, but come on Pentax, you can do better.
ISO 25 would be nice, but a set of ND filters works
I posted earlier, 1/250 sync is as much a question of Flash design as camera design. Although I have not measured, my impression is that full flash output of my AF500FTZ seems to be shorter than my AF540FGZ based upon sample shots using my *istD with both. Note this is possible because the *istD supports TTL flash, but any way, the shots of moving objects seem sharper when using the AF500FTZ which makes me think the duration is shorter. Note also the FTZ worked at 1/250 with the PZ1. To go to 1/250 and also offer rear curtain sync at 1/250 will require a flash with higher light output (brighter) and shorter duration.

As for using the on board flash as a Master for off camera HSS, the *istD could do it, and I don't understand why pentax removed it from later models. In fact, as far as I am concerned, any new "pro/semi pro" camera should go back to the full flash functionality of the *istD. This means combined TTL and P-TTL capable, and all the off camera control using the on board flash that the *istD could do, including remote HSS.

As for the rest, dual cards is one possibility I would like, but do it using CF and SD not dual SD. As for size, this should not be a size driver, my *istD is smaller than my K10 or K5 yet has a CF card. What I would like, relitive to card access is a door that opened past 90 degrees to make my big fat fingers easily remove the card.

The other thing I would like, and listen up pentax, is a return to a full K mount with aperture coupling. This however should be combined with a maximum aperture setting to remove the errors induced by focusing screens, whoever exposure compensation would also work since the error would always be constant for that lens.

09-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #69
Pentaxian

A couple of other points that might or moght not have been raised.

what about focus bracketing, specifically for where people are doing stacked macros using HDR software, to get incredible sharpness out of macros. it should be possible to automate this, in the same way as HDR and put it in camera as well as PP.

I know DOF bracketing is also asked for and this is different than exposure bracketing in Tv mode, because you want to change both shutter and aperture to keep exposure constant but have differing DOF only.

I would like to see an optional pentax provided split image finder

I will not put anything in regarding lenses because they are irrelevent in a camera discussion, and I will not put anything in about different formats because the format will not change.
09-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #70
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Electronic front curtain shutters would be nice. Lowell thank you for pointing out that shutters exist.

I doubt that I'm alone in getting stuff on the sensor and also behind the focusing screen. So, as I said, some dead simple mechanical thing that shuts off the whole inside as soon as there's no lens on. Switch-offable, obviously, for cleaning and screen replacement. Would be consistent with Pentax' ideal of cameras that resist the elements.

As we're dreaming, I personally wouldn't say no to in-camera ND, GND and R-GND filters either . It'd be very sexy and unique if you could configure an optically perfect reverse GND filter in-cam, setting the degree of graduation and horizon line exactly as you needed for your shot. No need to faff around with singh-rays. Would make Pentaxes a pretty appealing buy for landscape types.
09-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Nass

the point I was making is that the issue is that any time you open the camera, no matter how hard you try, it is open to the air for a momennt, and that is when the majority of the dust gets in

the shutter does help clearly because it is closed most of the time, but that just means that 100% of the dust is floating around in side the mirror box already because except for lens cleaning, the shutter is never open when the mirror box is open. (i.,e. lens off)

I think it is an endless battle. perhaps better materials selection, such as something in the electrostatic series that does not have an afinity to dust.
09-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #72
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Lowell

I know exactly the point you're making. But the manner in which you made it comes across as rather condescending. Anyway, enough, I've said my piece.
09-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Lowell

I know exactly the point you're making. But the manner in which you made it comes across as rather condescending. Anyway, enough, I've said my piece.
sorry if you took it that way, maybe I shoudl have put a smile behind it.
10-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #74
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here are my $.02

1. The Audio input for an external mic. Place it away or on the front of the body so that if you pick up the camera by it's staps, you don't put force on the mini-plug cord.

2. Put some kind of little LED light on the front of the camera or put an interlock on the lens release button to the LED light so you can change lenses in the dark. Make the LED software controlled in terms of on/off and brightness.

3. Give me an easy way to unclip the camera staps from the body.

4. Put the GPS displays on the info button, so I don't have to go menu diving to see the position and use some of the GPS data like I can choose the level or blank or settings.

5. Give me an ability to use an external power supply or mini-USB power input / charge.

6. Give me a flash or accessory that uses the same batteries as to require one type of battery and charger for all my Pentax gear.

7. Give me more control over the video functions and ease of locking in the exposure.
10-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
6. Give me a flash or accessory that uses the same batteries as to require one type of battery and charger for all my Pentax gear.
This is very interesting. Make it a new and more powerfull battery then K-5 has. Flashes should run very well on such a batterypack.