Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1- Tethering. (WIFI would be the obvious way to go)

2- Expanded ISO - down to 25. ( Just why everybody wants the ability to take pictures of black cats in box, under a blanket, at night, with no moon, under a bridge, with a 400mm lens, escapes me????)

3 - Auto Depth of Field Bracketing ( the ability to shoot the same exposure but set 1 - 3 stops higher and lower aperature to affect depth of field) Plus, the choice between LV DoF preview or TTL DoF, old school ( I hate having to take my eye out of the viewfinder to look at the LV screen)

4 - A TOUCH SCREEN. Imagine being able to say in LV to point at what you want to be in focus and the camera follows. Quickly change menu settings without having to toggle thru endless pages, adust shutter, aperature and ISO ect ect.

5 - Dual SD card slots, setting to run as sep cards or as redundacy.

6- AF Focus in Movie Mode.

And not the camera but the Grip, either, be able to have 2 batteries, or 1 battery and storage space for more than just 1 sd card, plus maybe a slot for my little IR remote.

06-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #17
Forum Member

- Better AF
- Same kind of body/layout as K5
- AF and manual settings in video mode, 1080p 24fps h.264, not stupid mjpeg
- dual sd card slots if room allows for it, otherwise keep the size down
- 24mp sensor, iso 25 and even better high iso performance

That's pretty much it, I love the k5 but my kx is doing a great job for me so ill wait.
06-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
3 - Auto Depth of Field Bracketing ( the ability to shoot the same exposure but set 1 - 3 stops higher and lower aperature to affect depth of field) Plus, the choice between LV DoF preview or TTL DoF, old school ( I hate having to take my eye out of the viewfinder to look at the LV screen)
Isn't is same as doing Bracketing in Tv mode?

I would love the focus bracket though where camera focuses in back & front of focus point.
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
( Just why everybody wants the ability to take pictures of black cats in box, under a blanket, at night, with no moon, under a bridge, with a 400mm lens, escapes me????)
Mee too.

Manual exposure, audio control, and sensor crop digital zoom in movie mode and 24 fps video would be nice...
I wish the AF had more points and was definitely better at tracking, but what I do hope stays the same is the image quality, and build quality, and the ergonomics.

06-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I don't have a K5, but my inclination would be:

1. No quality control issues (sensor stain, for example)
2. No f/b focus issues, or need to manually compensate in any way for different lenses.
3. Articulating screen (only if possible without smaller screen size or weight/size increase)

Paul
06-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You can do an optical DOF preview already. On my K-7 you just tilt the on switch away from the lens while looking through the viewfinder.
06-26-2011, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Things I don't care about:

- Swivel screens. The build quality suffers and would add bulk to Pentax's compact bodies.
- Touch screens. Buttons are still the best option as you have muscle memory and tactile feedback.
- Video. But it's an welcome plus.

Things I would care about:

A compact body with KX/MX dimensions, a big old-school viewfinder, the usual WR/SR pack and make sure you don't have quality control issues. The AF system (from my K-x experience) is fine for me. Usual shooting modes, plus whatever video resolution is the current trend (1080p). Done, profit.

I wish Pentax did less and focused on what they do best. Compact and well built cameras to use with amazing quality primes. Marry this with WR and SR, and you have the best travel, all around camera. There's already plenty options for serious photographers who need FF, expensive long zooms and magical AF. I don't think it's wise for Pentax (or any company, really) to pursuit a crowded market when they can clearly pursuit a new venue and differentiate themselves instead of looking like a cheap ripoff. Not everyone is a wedding / sports photographer.

Makes me sad to know that's not going to happen, as the market is all about technobabble and trends, in lieu of subjective, but ever lasting aspects, like ergonomics or satisfaction while photographing. Of course I may be a different part of the demographics, as I'm a part time product designer, but still...

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 06-26-2011 at 02:35 AM.
06-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a bigger viewfinder, so it is easier to manual focus.
And I do not understand why everybody is talking about the AF, I have no problems with mine (the one on the K-7) AF-S or AF-C. It hardly ever misfires
06-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
You can do an optical DOF preview already. On my K-7 you just tilt the on switch away from the lens while looking through the viewfinder.
Odd,?????? when I do that on mine, I get a preview up on the screen, not see stopped down image thru the viewfinder..
06-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #25
Pentaxian

then there is something wrong with your settings, my K-7 also shows it through the viewfinder, and not on the screen
06-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #26

Odd,?????? when I do that on mine, I get a preview up on the screen, not see stopped down image thru the viewfinder..
You are in Digital Preview. You need to change the Menu option to Optical preview.

I'll echo the dual SD slots;
Video frame rate (24, 25, 30, 60 FPS);
APS-H size sensor, IF DA lenses work sufficiently well with it. Would like larger sensor, not necessarily FF. I've been wondering if H size sensor would fit in the existing Pentax k7/k5 body without major mods;
Selectable AF control (SDM & Screw Drive);
Ability to self calibrate level feature. Mine is perfect, or very close, but some have been off to varying degrees (pun intended?);
Different options for display. Maybe a few different layouts of the parameters on the LCD Screen, or the ability to add/subtract parameters;
More options in still FPS. Maybe 2, 3, 4, 5 & 7 FPS.
Larger buffer. Gotta believe this is easy to do. Why not double or quadruple the buffer memory. This seems to always be an issue for some, and since memory appears to be easy to expand on SD, micro SD, Flash and other media, why not load it up? I realize there may be constraints I'm unaware of...;

I'm sure there are more I'd personally like, but these are the first that come to mind...
06-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Camera menu, tab 3

Un-tick digital preview

On a k-7. Might be slightly different on other bodies.

EDIT Snydly can type quicker than me!
06-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #28
Forum Member

You can change setting to show "Optical Preview". It's in the user manual.
06-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #29

1. Articulating screen – wonderful for macro LV focus, candid street, and crowds/zoos
2. Improved control dials and shutter feel. They need to be more crisp and precise. Machined knurled metal and real bearings would be nice. For those of you that shoot (bullets, not just virtual film) I want the shutter release to feel like a precision trigger…a fine glass rod breaking.
3. Major changes to Menu. I want to be able to plug the camera into my computer (or not) and completely rearrange and/or hide (not just grey out) menu items and entire tabs. With the push of an external button I want to be able to toggle between my custom set up and seeing everything should I need to make a quick change to an item I may use, but rarely enough that I would not want it visible all the time. I can see no excuse for the sorry state of camera menu interfaces, other than fear of backlash/bitching from traditionalists. The cool thing about software is that you don’t have to take from one school of thought to give to another. Please keep all the mechanical buttons, but give me a graphic interface that can be totally customized….or left alone should you prefer.
4. In body GPS
5. Direct link to fleebay to support LBA.
6. Be green- increase durability/reparability of body and mechanical interfaces so I can use for 20+ years, but send to Pentax or local camera shop for latest greatest sensor or chipset installs as needed.
06-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like the K-3 to have several flaws and cost $2000. It'll be easier to resist that way.