Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

If Pentax make a K3 (or whatever...)

If Pentax make a K3 (or whatever it gets named...) What improvement/feature would you guys like to see?

Lets not bother with suggestions of Full-Frame... It's an issue frequently discussed and with the current lens line-up it's realistically unlikely to happen next time around...

I'm going to start with my two-penneth...

I'd like a faster flash-sync speed... Something at at least matches the 1/250th of current CaNikon DSLR's... If that requires a new shutter mechanism then I think Pentax should spend some money on R&D in that direction...

I'd also like 'Tethering' I currently shoot a K-x and it doesn't do this... If the K5 does then the K3(or whatever...) should keep this feature...

Your turn...

Cheers
Dave

06-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
look for PK tether on google, a man did a good tethering software.

I rather like some new lense instead of a btter k5
06-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
AF accuracy... particularly AF-C accuracy and low light AF. The current AF system is a shame on the otherwise fabulous K5. Let me put it this way, the K5's AF system is barely on par with Canikon's entry level bodies in real life shooting, despite having better specs on paper.
06-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
look for PK tether on google, a man did a good tethering software.
@ aurele... I have a question regarding this but want to try and keep this thread on topic... Please see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/149222-pk_tether.html... Thank you

@Mak5... Not heard this before but don't have a K5 or much experience shooting CaNikon either, so if you see it as an issue I see it as a valid improvement for Pentaxt to work on in their next DSLR release... Thank you

06-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MaK5 Quote
AF accuracy... particularly AF-C accuracy and low light AF. The current AF system is a shame on the otherwise fabulous K5. Let me put it this way, the K5's AF system is barely on par with Canikon's entry level bodies in real life shooting, despite having better specs on paper.
I do not know if focus accuracy is better in Canikon especially when most people don't select focus point while shooting which result in many focus errors. Yes, a T1i or D5000 can focus faster but they are not necessarily more accurate than my k-7 in AF-S mode. I agree AF-C is a different story.
06-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #6

Articulating LCD screen

I have debated this with myself for awhile. But, I think an articulating screen would be a nice touch. I have an old Canon G6 that has this feature. I found it really helped when doing macros or even holding it over head in a crowd. Just angle the screen downward to see what you a shooting and take the shot. Another thing that I liked about it was when you put it away you could rotate the screen so that it faced inward thus protecting the delicate LCD screen..

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Tim
06-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So far...

Faster flash sync
Supported tethering (if not already available)
Improved AF (particularly AF.C)
Articulated LCD (for both ease of use and protection)

I like lists...

Dave
06-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I do not know if focus accuracy is better in Canikon especially when most people don't select focus point while shooting which result in many focus errors. Yes, a T1i or D5000 can focus faster but they are not necessarily more accurate than my k-7 in AF-S mode. I agree AF-C is a different story.
I was comparing AF accuracy based on center point AF.

I've seen many people complain about K5's AF, but not K7's. K-5 suppose to have a slightly better AF system than K-7, but it's not so in real life shooting condition. Firmware 1.03 was suppose to fix low light AF issues, but clearly failed. At f/1.4-2.0 aperture in low light, K5 miss fires way too much.

06-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

Jedno: 35x24mm
06-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michu Quote
Jedno: 35x24mm
+1, for the sake of my FA31, I love the FF 30-ish equiv FL; and although I like the DA21 on APS-C, it's no FA31 that's for sure.
06-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Originally posted by Michu One: 35x24mm Original message in Polish Jedno: 35x24mm +1, for the sake of my FA31, I love the FF 30-ish equiv FL; and although I like the DA21 on APS-C, it's no FA31 that's for sure.
Just to point out that the original question was:
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
If Pentax make a K3 (or whatever it gets named...) What improvement/feature would you guys like to see? Lets not bother with suggestions of Full-Frame... It's an issue frequently discussed and with the current lens line-up it's realistically unlikely to happen next time around...
06-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kestrel1029 Quote
I have debated this with myself for awhile. But, I think an articulating screen would be a nice touch. I have an old Canon G6 that has this feature. I found it really helped when doing macros or even holding it over head in a crowd. Just angle the screen downward to see what you a shooting and take the shot. Another thing that I liked about it was when you put it away you could rotate the screen so that it faced inward thus protecting the delicate LCD screen..

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Tim
Yeah, I told myself the next body I buy will have it...well, the next one maybe. Love old Canon P&Ss!
06-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Pentaxian

oops, that'll teach me to only read the title
06-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Simple, stick with the same form-factor and make it tether.
06-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ummmm AF that works so I can finally upgrade from my k10!!!!!