Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Wait wait wait...Pentax Q vs K-r?

So let me get this straight...

The K-r has better image quality (An assumption since the Q has a smaller sensor)
The K-r has a faster frame rate
The K-r has a faster minimum shutter speed
The K-r has more lens options
The K-r has an optical viewfinder
and the K-r is cheaper?

Can anyone explain this?

PS I'm sorry if I'm overlooking any major details, I just quickly read the overview page.

06-23-2011, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noaslplease Quote

The K-r has better image quality (An assumption since the Q has a smaller sensor)
and the K-r is cheaper?

Can anyone explain this?

PS I'm sorry if I'm overlooking any major details, I just quickly read the overview page.
its not smaller
06-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It won't be cheaper. Sure the MSRP for the Q is $800 but just wait, it will go down into the $400-450 range if I don't miss my guess.
06-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #4

QuoteQuote:
It won't be cheaper. Sure the MSRP for the Q is $800 but just wait, it will go down into the $400-450 range if I don't miss my guess.

lol - you can also say the pentium 4 is dirt cheap now compared to when it was first released...your guess needs a timeline...

06-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The are going after a different market than DSLR , you cannot compare. Also this is true product mainly for Japan
06-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with bobmaxja. This camera is not for the North American nor for the European Market. The word is out that another Mirrorless system is coming out later on this summer to compete with the other guys and that it will be more in line with what the SLR folks in this forum have been waiting for.
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that I think I really get this camera. While I'm not in the need for another camera (nor can I afford one now either after doing a K5 upgrade), I find this one quite attractive. My daughter (a Canon 40D user) recent picked up a Lumix GF2 m4/3's camera to complement her gear and to have something lighter to take with her everywhere. Based on her experience with that I can say that having all the latest bells and whistles, small size, plus interchangeable lenses and excellent image quality is the closes to the best of many worlds combined. I intend to watch reviews of this camera closely. I'm not going to quibble about this or that feature or the lack of it for now. But really a 12mp camera that shoots RAW and fits in my hand is just too cool for words.

Can you imagine if this was water resistant too?

06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I agree with bobmaxja. This camera is not for the North American nor for the European Market. The word is out that another Mirrorless system is coming out later on this summer to compete with the other guys and that it will be more in line with what the SLR folks in this forum have been waiting for.
That's what I was thinking too. More of a novelty for the Asian market (and I am Asian American btw )

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
The are going after a different market than DSLR , you cannot compare. Also this is true product mainly for Japan
I wasn't comparing like whether we should buy one or another, but I was wondering if there was a good reason for anyone to pay the premium to buy this over something cheaper, say a K-r or K-x, or T3 or D3100.

And yes, it is ridiculously tiny.
06-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
And yes, it is ridiculously tiny.
You answered your own question. No one can say what the image quality is like. That's the only question that needs to be answered. I don't care what the forum "experts" say about sensor size and image quality.. I have in the past and continue to get quality images from my Optio W -series point and shoots (water proof -shock proof, small sensor. So, I don't listen much when people go on about sensor size.) If the image is comparable, then all your other points are moot. The frame rate is acceptable.. the lenses, I never carry more than 3 or 4 anyway..the viewfinder... doesn't seem to hurt me on my OptioW90....

To me , it's all about the IQ. If I can get comparable IQ from a smaller camera, eventually, I'm going for it. I know we have lots of knowledgeable speculators, but that's all they are speculators. IN the end, I'll listen to their opinions about as much as I do when I bought my Optio W90. Theory and purist attitudes can only be allowed to influence you so much. "Can I make this work for me?" is the only question I need answered. The Optio W90 works great for it's purpose, maybe this will too
06-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't care what the forum "experts" say about sensor size and image quality.. I have in the past and continue to get quality images from my Optio W -series point and shoots
You also may have a different threshold of what a "quality" image is. I can guarantee you that, barring a huge leap in sensor technology, no camera with a sensor that small is going to be remotely satisfying to me. In a few years, possibly, but not today.
06-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm with you Norm. FWIW if this was the ONLY compact system camera on the cards from Pentax, and Pentax hadn't used a great - for it's class - sensor, RAW support etc, I'd be annoyed too. But it looks like the sensor is actually pretty good for what it is... the ISO results posted earlier on Imaging Resource looked like they were up there with the very best compacts (if not M4/3 or APSC format cameras). So if you're getting great results from your W90, this little camera should provide excellent results. If this isn't enough for some people, hang on for the APSC version later in the year and please stop whining

The only thing that bugs me is the price, which really needs to be competitive with high-end compact cameras like the LX5. Hopefully it will drop to sane levels after a while.

It's a gorgeous little camera... well, in black it is anyway!
06-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #12

I just looked up this camera for on line reviews. I think for the price, the small senser will be the weak link. Just based that alone may put people off regardless of the image quality it may have. The size does appeal to me though. There are times where I that my Fuji A700 P&S because thaking a bulky D-slr is not really a desired item to have with you. Given the specs for the Pentax Q, I think it should give resasonable looking images in varing conditions well ahead of the Fuji I have now.

The other part of the design that I do not like is pop-up flash. It looks like it could break easily off when it is turned on. The price is another item I would have to see about. I think the price will come down rather quickly once it is brought out.

It would be nice to see Pentax at least look into the sensor sizing so at least from consumers point of view they feel they are not getting less of a camera then the other brands are offering. Either way it is great to see Pentax looking into the small camera market again with a camera that the modern day version of the older Auto 110.
06-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #13

I just saw an Overview on Pentax Q Compact System Camera - Hands-On Preview and first what my Ey saw was this Table

It seams that the Q is more serious as we all think. The Lens Shutter is not available even on 645 Lenses, but is on this two for Q!? Everybody who did studio photography with medium/big format Cameras and flashes know what lens Shutter means, high speed flash syncing (1/1000 or more).

Now I am going to read the compleet Overview. :-)

P.S.
Sorry for my bad English.
06-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noaslplease Quote

and the K-r is cheaper?

Can anyone explain this?

Maybe the AF will work so the IQ will prolly be better than the k-r
06-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
Maybe the AF will work so the IQ will prolly be better than the k-r
Not that there needs to be much accuracy anyways. (1/2.3 sensor)