Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shooting video on K-7?

I am trying to decide between a Canon 60D and a Pentax K-7. I like the metal body of the K-7 and most of the specs between the two are equitable. I would probably choose a K7 tomorrow if I knew a couple more things about it. Can someone give me their best teaching about shooting video on the K-7?

I noticed that although the K-7 has an mini hdmi out for 1080p, the specs on the video shooting never mention 1080p. I think that the comparative number is 1024? Is that just a result of some kind of proportioning as related to the formatting? Not a big thing, but it just seemed a little odd to me.

How does one focus while shooting video? I know that AF isn't an option, but are your scenes always fixed focus? I suppose that you could use MF, but how does that work? Wouldn't it be difficult to keep a steady shot even on a tripod? I have seen some K-7 vdeo demos and they look great. I am going to hunt for an online manual, but first hand knowledge is much more understandable.

Cheers

06-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you're serious about video, get the canon.

as for the k-7, it doesnt exactly support 1080p per se, but its close enough.
to focus, switch to manual focus mode and just turn the focus ring
keeping it steady can be hard at time, but not impossible, SR helps a bit with this too. Ever see those fancy redrock rigs pro filmakers use? you probably wont be getting super stable shots without one or something similar unless you have some super crazy steady hands. With that being said, handheld videos with dslr cameras in general don't really look that bad. Most videos you see on youtube and whatnot are most likely taken either handheld or on a tripod
06-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree with adpo here. If video is your focus, get the Canon.

The HDMI is just output to display what would be on the LCD screen. It doesn't have anything to do with the resolution of video files it can record.

The K-7's maximum resolution video format is an oddly sized resolution (1536 x 1024). It can do regular 720p though if using a standard size is necessary for a job.

Here is more info on video:
Pentax K-7 Camera Video - Full Review

The K-7 can auto-focus before the video starts, but when video is running you must use manual focus. With a lens that has quick-shift that's easy, but if it does not, you will be better off just focusing yourself before starting video recording.

Besides video oddities, my K-7 has been a real workhorse camera. I've probably put more actuations on it and taken it to more extreme weather conditions that any other camera body I've owned. Has not failed me yet. My newer K-5 is at CRIS being repaired as we speak... So I'm back to my workhorse K-7.
06-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

also, dont forget that a lot of the quality you're seeing in video demos are from the lenses as well, so be sure to budget for some nice glass if you havent already done so or own some. LBA is widespread on pentaxforums for a reason

06-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was just looking at one of my short vids.

Length 00:00:13 sec

Frame width - 1280

Frame Height - 720

Data rate - 44204kbps

Total bitrate - 44716kbps

Frame rate - 30 frames/second

File Size - 69.2MB

Crikey 13 seconds, and 70meg...... It does look sensational on 42in HD screen..
06-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i think i can get about 45 minutes or so max on my k-x using an 8gb card =\ so yeah, video is there, but if video is your thing, you're really much better off with the canon
06-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The k-7 gets close to full hd (about 1500x1000 is the top resolution) but it's not quite there. If you want more, get the K-5, but if you want an HDSLR, then Canon will do a much better job.
06-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

there are people using k-7 to make short film. u can search on youtube.
i once went to B&H listening a presentation. that studio use only k-7 and lens to make a 5min flim. and i remember that was great.
the film is called uncle jack. you would see 1080p choice on youtube that is acutally the studio upscaled to that.

yes it has limitation. but k-7 is enough to produce some great video.

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-24-2011 at 08:40 AM.
06-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

K7's biggest limitations are two-fold (1) It lacks ability to do settings manually and (2) It gets noisy in low light, sometimes very noisy. If video is a big factor, Canon cameras are going to be a lot easier to work with.

The K5 solves the noise issue, but does not allow for manual settings.
06-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just placed an order for a K-7...

Thanks to everyone that responded. After I originally posted I read the DP review and saw the BH demo video. It all pretty much convinced me that the K-7 can shoot damn decent video and without too much difficulty. Video is not a huge priority for me, and the K-7 seems like it will fit my needs.

I like the fact that the K-7 is metal and less expensive than the Canon. Also, even in the limited time that I have consulted this forum, I really like what I see posted. I didn't find the same from the Canon forums that I visited. I realize that Pentax is a bit of a cult or boutique when compared to the big two or three, but that is kind of cool.

Here's to hoping that everything is OK with my new K-7 when it arrives!
06-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

welcome to the cult, may the lords of LBA bless your purchase

all kidding aside, congrats on picking the K-7. IMO, its much more of the photographer's camera than the canon, i find canon to be much too gimmicky and video-oriented compared to pentax's offerings, which is why i went with my k-x in the first place (plus, $450 for a d90 sensor is awesome). the best part of all is that it feels like it belongs in my hands, that it belongs there to take pictures =) anywho, congrats on your purchase, im sure you wont regret it until you start getting those K-5 pangs every non-k-5-owner goes through
06-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter

They tried t talk you out of it!
06-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the pangs...

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
welcome to the cult, may the lords of LBA bless your purchase

all kidding aside, congrats on picking the K-7. IMO, its much more of the photographer's camera than the canon, i find canon to be much too gimmicky and video-oriented compared to pentax's offerings, which is why i went with my k-x in the first place (plus, $450 for a d90 sensor is awesome). the best part of all is that it feels like it belongs in my hands, that it belongs there to take pictures =) anywho, congrats on your purchase, im sure you wont regret it until you start getting those K-5 pangs every non-k-5-owner goes through
...even before the K-7 arrived. I just exchanged it for a K-5 sight unseen. Can't wait until I receive it. What started out as a want for a K-r morphed into a purchase of a K-5. Someone please stop the insanity! I did do a lot of research though. The K-5 should fit my needs for quite some time.
06-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

that's not so bad, just wait until you start buying glass =D i think i've gone through.......4 different standard zooms now?