Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #1

Non-warranty repair - K100D

Yesterday afternoon, my wife was mugged by a local hoodlum. She's fine, aside from needing a couple stitches, but our K100D, not so much. That she's ok is what really matters, but, well, the camera is an issue, too.

The camera went flying when her purse strap broke. The kit lens is a lost cause - it took much of the impact, and the focus and zoom rings now stick together. The last elements may no longer be quite parallel with the film plane - I'm not sure. The force on the lens caused two of the screws holding the lens mount to become a bit loose - I suspect a tiny bit of epoxy on them would give them enough to hold on to. The plastic below the flash is cracked, but it doesn't seem to be a real issue.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is with the shutter button. It is no longer possible to depress it halfway - it can only be depressed all the way, and requires a bit more force to do that, such that I lose a couple stops with indoor photography.

I don't expect my wife to ever use this as her primary camera body, but I'd like to be able to continue to use this as my own camera. There isn't any way to fix this easily, is there? Is a repair manual available out there?

Thanks,
Christopher

11-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have an answer on your problem ,just wanted to say I'm glad your wife is O.K.. I would really be P.O.'d if it happened to me, I guess thats why people are moving here to harford co. in droves (way too many) although we have our share of crackheads and junkies too. I guess all of us are getting mugged by o'malley and those bums in annapolis now.
11-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First things first, I'm glad that your wife is ok (I dont' normally consider needing a few stitches as being fine, but I understand it beats several other alternatives )

As for your camera, my best guess would be to call Pentax and see how much they'd want to repair it. If you have insurance, maybe the repairs would be covered ?
11-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As you and everyone have stated - the good thing is that wife is OK.

As for the camera, house contents insurance might cover replacement. Fixing it, hmmmmmm.

11-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I guess thats why people are moving here to harford co. in droves (way too many) although we have our share of crackheads and junkies too.
Hartford County is nice, but I think if I were going to move out to the 'burbs, Washinton County would be my choice - it's the most perfectly picturesque area ever, I swear. If only we could afford to on the salary that I make as a librarian. Perhaps it's time to start thinking about moving back to the midwest.
11-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear the wife is okay. The camera will probably run around $170 to fix. This is based on the only Pentax DS we ever sent in out of warranty. The lens is better to be replaced. Cost more for tech to fix than the machine to spit out another one. I hope they caught the mugger. Could also happen here in the midwest. In my case the mugger would now have a K10D as a borg cranial implant. Hope the wife gets better. Don't over look the psychological affects.
thanks
barondla
11-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

It is truly a shame that this has to happen in any country. I too am glad to hear your wife is safe. Living in Lancaster Pa. is getting scary. I don't know what has happened to people these days but I long to return to the past where you could leave the doors unlocked and walk the streets in safety. As for the camera I would say getting a hold of Pentax or a good repair shop would be in order. I don't know how much it will cost you but I would say the camera is worth fixing. As for the lens I would again agree with everyone else that replacement is cheaper then trying to have it fixed.
Good luck my friend and best wishes to your wife.

11-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm glad that your wife is ok as well Christopher, although it's a shame about the stitches.

Too bad that he didn't get clubbed with the camera
Then it's worth the repair effort.

I'd contact Pentax as well, they're usually pretty good and might even be better considering what happened.

The fishing boards I'm started a acronym for people like the mugger.

TDM
Thieving - Druggy - Misfits
And it suites them, since most of them steal to support their drug habit.
And they're misfits to society.