Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there any good instruction books yet for the k10?

I am a bit lost
If anyone knows any good books yet let me know

BTW, how do I delete this post?
randy

Last edited by slip; 12-15-2006 at 06:43 PM.
12-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No aperture ring-guess they forgot it...

Since the Pz series aperture and shutter speed (do you know how tempting it is to tell a whopper story here???) by the little wheels under thumb and forefinger of the right hand--the so-called 'hyper' wheels and a functionality now referenced as e-wheels on the K10. The readout in the viewfinder and on the top LCD show the values.

Tempting to say not fair editing; you had a good/valid question. It's not obvious why Pentax has two wheels. even less obvious to have a lens with no aperture ring. And I have told colleagues with other brands some whopper stories about that second wheel: super zoom, auto correct, invisibility vision, auto make-up and hair style and so forth.

The K10 manual is on-line. What (photo) subject do you want the books to cover?

Last edited by jfdavis58; 12-15-2006 at 07:03 PM. Reason: OP changed his mind/question
12-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The same way as on every modern camera: you turn the the little wheel on the camera body. I don't have the K10D but to my understanding you have two wheels controlling aperture and shutter time respectively, and sometimes the ISO value as well depending on what shooting mode the camera is set to.
Basically think like this: If you set the camera to Aperture priority you use the bodie's front wheel to control the aperture and the camera sets the shutter time. If you set the camera to Shutter time priority the wheel is for you to control the shutter time and the camera sets the aperture. When in Program mode the camera readsd the light and give you a starting value of both the parameters, the wheel will change both (in opposite directions sort of speaking). For all the other details around ISO adjustments on the fly and subtle differences between the available shooting modes I'm sure the manual will explain just about everything.

For old people (like me) all this is baffling, we are far from the old days with hand held meter and knobs and rings to turn.

After typing all this I hope you just aren't pulling my leg...

regards,
12-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Since the Pz series aperture and shutter speed (do you know how tempting it is to tell a whopper story here???) by the little wheels under thumb and forefinger of the right hand--the so-called 'hyper' wheels and a functionality now referenced as e-wheels on the K10. The readout in the viewfinder and on the top LCD show the values.

Tempting to say not fair editing; you had a good/valid question. It's not obvious why Pentax has two wheels. even less obvious to have a lens with no aperture ring. And I have told colleagues with other brands some whopper stories about that second wheel: super zoom, auto correct, invisibility vision, auto make-up and hair style and so forth.

The K10 manual is on-line. What (photo) subject do you want the books to cover?
In the custom section, there is a setting where you can change what each wheel does in combonation with the other.... some icons, but not much help trying to figure out what the changes do.
each priority mode you can change the different functions of each wheel.... a bit confusing for someone who is just getting off the film band wagon

cheers

randy

12-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tuff Manual

Went real slow there, myself. This user:i-glisin has a good handle on re-configuring wheels for manual lens situations. Searching through his posts should turn-up the material.
12-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aperture Wheel

Rear wheel adjusts the aperture . . . front wheel the shutter speed. See pages 18/19 and exposure mode section that starts on oage 144. Hope this helps.
12-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #7

In Manual, you can set the green button to set the shutter speed. Set Use Aperture Ring to Allowed.

Thus, in Manual, you learn how to use center-weighted metering and use the green button to set the shutter speed, and the ring on the lens sets the aperture.

Thus you have aperture priority. Sort of.