Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #1

Using a Canon550ex on my K100D

I admittedly I don't know anything about flashes, but I figure it's time I get one and start learning. I've been offered a used Canon 550EX speedlight for under $100, which seems like a good deal to my uninformed brain. Basically, just wanted to check w/ y'all here to see if any of you knew of any potential compatibility / functionality problems with using this flash on my Pentax K100D.

Like I said, I am completely new to flash photography. I'd get one of the penatx flashes if I had the cash, but I don't. On the surface this seems like a good deal.

11-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it'll work. For a bit more money ($110) you can get a digital concepts flash which is p-ttl or for less than $100 you can get the vivitar 285hv, which is very powerful but it's not a p-ttl flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by rjdesq Quote
I admittedly I don't know anything about flashes, but I figure it's time I get one and start learning. I've been offered a used Canon 550EX speedlight for under $100, which seems like a good deal to my uninformed brain. Basically, just wanted to check w/ y'all here to see if any of you knew of any potential compatibility / functionality problems with using this flash on my Pentax K100D.

Like I said, I am completely new to flash photography. I'd get one of the penatx flashes if I had the cash, but I don't. On the surface this seems like a good deal.
11-16-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It will probably only work in manual mode,which means none of the advanced features of the flash will work. I could not tell whether the flash has it's own on board sensor or not, so probably no auto thyristor mode either.

I think you would be better off with a p-ttl flash, or something like the Vivitar 285hv or the Sunpack 383. Both are under US$100 at B & H.
11-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I'm looking at those models now. roscot - Is the Sunpak 383 p-ttl? My understanding is that it was not. I still may go with that one even if it's not, based on the price. If nothing else, it maight be good to learn with and then have an extra light source if I ever stepped up to a P-TTL model.

11-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjdesq Quote
Thanks for the advice, I'm looking at those models now. roscot - Is the Sunpak 383 p-ttl? My understanding is that it was not. I still may go with that one even if it's not, based on the price. If nothing else, it maight be good to learn with and then have an extra light source if I ever stepped up to a P-TTL model.
Never heard of a 550EX but if it costs just less than $100, I must get it without a second thought for my Canon 5D. The EX flash supports E-TTL II flash metering which is quite accurate. And, the 550 should be a powerful flash.

For your case, my suggestion is just to get a 360FGZ, which is feature rich, low cost and reliable as Pentax's own dedicated flash unit. Forget other 3rd party flash guns which might have incompatibility issues, (more) inaccuracy and may damage your camera (Pentax is not lying, there is always chance for that!).