Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I could have handled a bit more pleasantly wasted time.

In my US Army days, I lived in barracks, rather than spend money on off-post rooms. That money went to buying camera gear instead. I knew (and cared for) nobody off-post; my free time was spent in darkroom rather than in dark bars. My LT was a non-standard chap, wrote a bio of his childhood buddy Vaugn Bode (underground cartoonist who auto-asphyxiated himself), lived alone in BOQ. We had interesting chats on how such monastic environments foster creativity as sublimation for sex.

Yeah, intense darkroom work is rewarding. But I'd rather have got laid.

ObTopic: Do FF cameras get you laid? Which is more seductive: Canon, Nikon, Sony? Would Pentax FF be a babe magnet?

Leica

it's the chick magnet just ask all the rich old dentists and doctors over on rangefinder forum

06-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I could have handled a bit more pleasantly wasted time.

In my US Army days, I lived in barracks, rather than spend money on off-post rooms. That money went to buying camera gear instead. I knew (and cared for) nobody off-post; my free time was spent in darkroom rather than in dark bars. My LT was a non-standard chap, wrote a bio of his childhood buddy Vaugn Bode (underground cartoonist who auto-asphyxiated himself), lived alone in BOQ. We had interesting chats on how such monastic environments foster creativity as sublimation for sex.

Yeah, intense darkroom work is rewarding. But I'd rather have got laid.

ObTopic: Do FF cameras get you laid? Which is more seductive: Canon, Nikon, Sony? Would Pentax FF be a babe magnet?
Cameras don't get you laid unless you are already a "babe magnet" without 'em. That's because millions of frat boys buy Rebels and say "I'm a photographer - take off your clothes, please!". This is acceptable if they already think you're cute - in which case you don't really need the camera; if they don't think you're attractive, most will immediately peg you a "creeper".

Of course, actually *working* as a photographer is a different thing. Models are frequently attracted to men who are being paid by someone else to take their picture, and bystanders and hangers-on are often smitten with the fellow at the center of all the fuss. And I know a couple of wedding photographers that get quite a bit of "action", so to speak, but that's mostly tied to the fact that they can tell bridesmaids that they do some 'fashion' work during the week, and do weddings on the weekends for cash.

I wanted to be a cross between Helmut Newton and J. Stephen Hicks when I was a youth of eighteen. I thought I might find models at local strip clubs - because NOBODY ever thought of THAT before. LOL. I finally did, but I hadda become a bouncer at the strip club in order to gain the trust of the girls before they'd accept that I really wanted to take their picture, not just see 'em naked-er, or get 'em in the sack.
06-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Leica

it's the chick magnet just ask all the rich old dentists and doctors over on rangefinder forum
Oh, maybe, but it's only that to a specific subset of women who are savvy enough to know that an S2 costs $27k, and a guy with that kinda grip probably has more to spend on them.
06-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I finally did, but I hadda become a bouncer at the strip club in order to gain the trust of the girls before they'd accept that I really wanted to take their picture, not just see 'em naked-er, or get 'em in the sack.
because you couldn't see them naked by stopping in for a beer lol

i dated a few dancers in my youth, there's a lot of seriously crazy women in that job, but some truly great ones as well

06-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Oh, maybe, but it's only that to a specific subset of women who are savvy enough to know that an S2 costs $27k, and a guy with that kinda grip probably has more to spend on them.
the s2 won't work it has to be an M9 (titanium edition preferably) it's tradition
06-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #111
Veteran Member

because you couldn't see them naked by stopping in for a beer lol

i dated a few dancers in my youth, there's a lot of seriously crazy women in that job, but some truly great ones as well
In the midwest, the Crazy ratio is pretty high. But yeah. The mindset escapes me.

Here's the weirdest observation I've ever encountered about women, men, and photography. I was shooting a "lingerie" catalog (adult clothing and toys) for a startup local distributor. The models would come into the studio, go behind a screen and change into the first set (that showed mostly everything, mind you). Then the AD (who was also the CEO of the startup) would throw them the next set and they would change ON SET. Then, after the last set of lingerie, they'd go BACK behind the screen to change into their street clothes again... LOL!

My wife says it's because, while I saw 'em in their altogether and in underwear, I didn't see 'em in THEIR underwear. *shrug*.
06-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #112
Veteran Member

the s2 won't work it has to be an M9 (titanium edition preferably) it's tradition
No, what works is being a rich Dentist or Doctor.

06-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #113
Veteran Member

No, what works is being a rich Dentist or Doctor.
there is that

it's also what gives them the ability to take some of the most expensive pedestrian pictures i've aver seen (in many cases the best shots i see over there are produced by lowly feds and fixed lens RF's, not all mind you. - unlike here where there are a very high number of good shots - regardless of which body or even lens is being used)

EDIT: many of the good shots i see over there are produced by members from here
06-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #114
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
anyone thinking that a Pentax FF will be the size of a K-5 is in la-la land.

Instead, Pentax went with the 645D, which is probably not much larger than a Pentax SR-capable FF DSLR would be. In some ways, a better solution for Pentax FF fans is to advocate a lower price point for the 645D. If they could get a 645D kit system down to US$6,500 they might make a splash.
Wake me Up before you Go-Go......

O my ... I have been living in la-la-land

Well a cheaper 645D would make it more attractive, in Europe it's 9.999 euro for body only and that is way to expensive.

I'm still in favor of APS-H sensor camera. Coult that fit into a K-5 like body? Just a little bigger and bigger viewfinder (loose the flash to make room). If a sensor is 30x20mm then it can hold some more pixels with bigger surfase, coming just a step closer (and close enough) to FF.
06-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Chicks. Cameras. Darkrooms. Angels. Leica.

It's all good except the guy who said the word dentist.
06-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Chicks. Cameras. Darkrooms. Angels. Leica.

It's all good except the guy who said the word dentist.
sorry but it's heavily tied to Leica
06-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #117

What about wide angle lenses? its easier to build wide and ultrawide lenses on FF and on mirrorless aps-c. That's why I think aps-c on dslr is technically a bad idea. Image quality is just ok but reportage photographers that needs at least a ultrawide lens will go on FF or mirrorless, and the amateurs always follows what they see in the hands of professionals..
Pentax wake up!!!
06-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by la_nonna Quote
What about wide angle lenses? its easier to build wide and ultrawide lenses on FF and on mirrorless aps-c. That's why I think aps-c on dslr is technically a bad idea. Image quality is just ok but reportage photographers that needs at least a ultrawide lens will go on FF or mirrorless, and the amateurs always follows what they see in the hands of professionals..
Pentax wake up!!!
Technically correct, but I think it's not necessarily supportable to assert that "reportage photographers need UWA", which is no more true than "reportage photographers need long telephotos". The 35mm was the "go to" news photog lens for years; wide but not so wide it distorts. There are always tradeoffs.
06-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #119

Technically correct, but I think it's not necessarily supportable to assert that "reportage photographers need UWA", which is no more true than "reportage photographers need long telephotos". The 35mm was the "go to" news photog lens for years; wide but not so wide it distorts. There are always tradeoffs.
Yes, 35mm is the must have, but we need also ultrawide. And we need also telephoto but not supertele: that's for sports and nature.
1) normal
2)wide
3)tele
4)ultrawide
on ultrawide FF has a clear advantage
06-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by la_nonna Quote
Yes, 35mm is the must have, but we need also ultrawide. And we need also telephoto but not supertele: that's for sports and nature.
1) normal
2)wide
3)tele
4)ultrawide
on ultrawide FF has a clear advantage
Get the 8mm from Samyang! Done, and done! Or the 10-20 Sigma. 15mm equivalent on FF is UWA, yes?