Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sponge Worthy Quote
That said, I will not be surprised if Sony eclipses Pentax in DSLR market share with its new models, purely based on marketing...something Pentax appears to be incapable of....
There is an ad for the K10D in this month's United Airlines in-flight magazine. How random is that? It features a nerdy-looking 8-year old on a stage or something, and the bottom line of the blurb is "we'd rather be the nerdy kid than the popular kid in class". Not sure they convinced me to buy one of their cameras with that...and I already own one!

11-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Most amateurs (non-pros) "DO NOT use Pentax DSLRs" either. So, according to your logic, the Pentax isn't for amateurs as well.

stewart

Quite smug, are you...

If thats how you choose to disingenuously parse what I wrote...then sure.

Last edited by Sponge Worthy; 11-16-2007 at 08:47 PM.
11-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #18

Just an opinion

I will not argue with the fact that Cannon and Nikon make good cameras, they to. They make cameras that outdo the K10D. But I don't think any other makes a camera in the K100/K10 price range that can beat Pentax. Maybe tie with them, although most reviews will compare the K10D as competitive with much higher priced Cannons and Nikons.

Also, as to market share, didn't I read somewhere that Pentax was the number 1 seller in Japan?
11-16-2007, 09:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fredw Quote
Also, as to market share, didn't I read somewhere that Pentax was the number 1 seller in Japan?
They're big in Belgium.

11-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would never purchase a Canon. A Nikon, yes, but never a Canon. Why? Their controls stink. Everything on every model seems to be fourteen layers deep in the menus. This has been true since the A-1, which was (and is) a very competent camera, but it took two switches to go into aperture priority (or shutter priority), while Pentax designers seem to think that all you should have to do is select the aperture or shutter speed you want.

Nikon's upper level cameras have better controls than Canon, by far. Their D80 and D200 have more of the most used functions in them menus than on the body.

What good is the Canon D1 Mk III's vaunted (and true) speed of AF and rapid fire if you cannot set the major useful controls with a button, lever and e-dial?
11-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
I simply don't dicuss brands with people. It's a lot like religion....(snipped)

No, it's sort of pointless. I'm happy with my K10D and, for me, that's really all that matters.
I agree whole-heartedly. YOU (me... everyone here) have to be happy with your camera of choice and not base that contentment upon a magazine review but rather upon your own hands-on experience with the camera. I spent months handling Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus cameras and in the end, I chose Pentax. My wife factored in on this decision-making since she wanted a dslr as well. And her choice was for the Pentax. Granted, it made sense for both of us to buy into the same system but we had determined beforehand to go with the camera that handled the best. Pentax was (and IS) that camera. I will not second guess my choice based upon magazine articles and reviewers. Why not? Simply because I am happy with my k10d and with the images it allows me to make. And THAT is all that is important to me.
11-17-2007, 01:26 AM   #22
PDL
Pentaxian

Interesting that the MS tool he states is so cool "RAW Viewer" is no longer being updated by MS as of the release of Vista (last year). Vista does not need it, but it does need the various Codex's from the camera manufacturers to use it.

I would really like to see who is providing this guy with his hardware - I bet he has not had to pay for a camera for years. Yet another reason to ignore the magazine.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
11-17-2007, 05:07 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
They're big in Belgium.
I'm not quite sure whether that is good or bad!

11-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I would really like to see who is providing this guy with his hardware - I bet he has not had to pay for a camera for years. Yet another reason to ignore the magazine...
I often wonder whether reviewers really are independant. I bought a camera mag a couple of days ago and its pretty much a walking ad for Canon, as though they sponsored its publication.
As a newcomer I studied all of the available facts I could before going over to the camera shop and asking to play with everything they had in stock. With no axe to grind and no bias or favouritism it was clear to me that the K10D was by far the best value camera they had.
But then I'm only a beginner and not on the payroll of a manufacturer. Yet.
11-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Just Facts..

I think the article just talks about facts. IMHO, there is no bias at all but maybe just fair opinions based on the facts.

The only thing I don't totally agree with is that although Olympus 4/3 system was once quite innovative, I bet it will go along the road of the old OM system as well as the died Olympus film AF system owing to the small sensor form factor which is now seen to be in the opposite direction for the future trend. So, I bet the 4/3 will die in the end in a few years, when 135 Full Frame will again take the role for the mainstream high quality DSLR for advanced amateurs or above.

Well, in view of the above mentioned trend, which is quite visible now, Pentax should plan to go Full Frame soonest other the Pentax system will disappear too, I can bet again!

p.s. when one sees there is something biased about one's own brand, actually one maybe already being biased somehow for his/her brand! :-)
11-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I think the article just talks about facts. IMHO, there is no bias at all but maybe just fair opinions based on the facts.
The only real "known" fact is, we have no idea whether or not there is bias entering the article... period.
11-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I remember reading this very same photo.net article when I first started researching for a DSLR back in 2006. What made me laugh out loud was the line The number two spot is occupied by Nikon, which is also a reasonable choice. Reasonable choice!? Since I was a child I remember watching wildlife documentaries on TV where the photographers always had a Nikon; would National Geographic photographers settle for a "reasonable choice" of camera, or the best camera they could get?

In short: yes, I think this article is highly biased.
11-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The article's author, Philip Greenspun, is a Canon user. And I won't be totally surprised if he is sponsored by Canon. He has written many articles and reviews on Canon gears, bodies and lenses.

So guess which system he would recommend?
Sure, Canon!

And it is quite typical of Canon and Nikon advocate to mention equipment rental like $4,000+ lenses etc. I, myself, never considered renting lenses. But if there comes a situation where I need a ultra fast long lens, I could rent the camera body too, right?
11-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
By the time I have the need to be renting lenses, I'll be a hghly paid pro flying around the world taking pics of highly strung models on 10k a day.
I won't hold my breath
11-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I remember reading this very same photo.net article when I first started researching for a DSLR back in 2006. What made me laugh out loud was the line The number two spot is occupied by Nikon, which is also a reasonable choice. Reasonable choice!? Since I was a child I remember watching wildlife documentaries on TV where the photographers always had a Nikon; would National Geographic photographers settle for a "reasonable choice" of camera, or the best camera they could get?

In short: yes, I think this article is highly biased.
You've already mentioned the reason. It WAS Nikon who WAS the market leader, WHEN you WERE a child! :-)

When I WAS a child, Pentax was once the market leader, when C and N's sales on those film SLRs added up to the number of sales of Pentax SLRs. So what? Just remember those were the days!