Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 08:06 PM   #31
Veteran Member

the article mentioned was written a few years ago, it makes reference to "the brand new Digital Rebel" which would be about concurrent with the Pentax DS. The author makes both objective statements, regarding lens model line up depth, and subjective statements regarding obvious model choice for serious photographers.

Overall, it was an article written about 3 years ago by the website owner: he's entitled to say and publish on his website as he sees fit. The degree of brand bias he shows is no different than that shown by numerous comments here.

11-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
the article mentioned was written a few years ago, it makes reference to "the brand new Digital Rebel" which would be about concurrent with the Pentax DS. The author makes both objective statements, regarding lens model line up depth, and subjective statements regarding obvious model choice for serious photographers.

Overall, it was an article written about 3 years ago by the website owner: he's entitled to say and publish on his website as he sees fit. The degree of brand bias he shows is no different than that shown by numerous comments here.
Sad that the situation haven't been changed in any significant sense. Canon is still the market leader in DSLR system and Nikon follows. And then Sony comes in the third place but already much lag behind already. Oly and Pentax is the last minor players here whom will probably die in the near future according to the present weak position and trend.

Oly once did have an edge in their ultrasonic sensor cleaning method and the liveview. But now both Canon and Nikon have all that in one or more of their latest DSLRs. So, those differentiators of Oly have disappeared, just leaving their 2X small sensor stands alone - which is surely a differentiator but just an unfavourable one. Similarly, Pentax's lack of Full Frame lenses and FF DSLR create an unfavourable situation for them, hope that they shall at least announce plan of FF DSLR and rebuild FF lens lineup not later than PMA next year - otherwise, they will be very difficult to compete anymore.
11-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Sad that the situation haven't been changed in any significant sense. Canon is still the market leader in DSLR system and Nikon follows. And then Sony comes in the third place but already much lag behind already. Oly and Pentax is the last minor players here whom will probably die in the near future according to the present weak position and trend.

Oly once did have an edge in their ultrasonic sensor cleaning method and the liveview. But now both Canon and Nikon have all that in one or more of their latest DSLRs. So, those differentiators of Oly have disappeared, just leaving their 2X small sensor stands alone - which is surely a differentiator but just an unfavourable one. Similarly, Pentax's lack of Full Frame lenses and FF DSLR create an unfavourable situation for them, hope that they shall at least announce plan of FF DSLR and rebuild FF lens lineup not later than PMA next year - otherwise, they will be very difficult to compete anymore.
Honestly RiceHigh what Crack are you smoking?

Sony is not ahead of Pentax, Minolta + Sony is and how many pro shooters use Sony? None!? Maybe two?!

Oly will be the first to go because support from retailers is shrinking and their product has reached the top of it's game period.

Pentax is gaining reputation among all retailers and the support is much higher than Sony period.

Pentax has outsold Olympus and Sony together among retailers period.

How do I know this... I work for a retailer who is connected to the pro network so at least here in the US this figures are true period.

Pentax has the most exciting product on the market still, even after the Canon 40D, how do I know? Because I've sold 20 K10D's and 5 40D's and it's that trend at every store in the US. More stores are pulling Canon off the shelf as we speak because they are not favorable among retailers just like Nikon. Heck there are stores that sell more Pentax to ALL other brands they carry, like our store.

Pentax will blow Nikon and Canon out of the water this March and I'm confident of this and they don't need FF to do that. All they need to do is pump out another camera with specs and features above the 40D (which they will) and we shall see another record year for Pentax.

When their FF camera does come out it will be hundreds less than the 5D replacement and don't worry about the lenses RiceHigh because they already have them.
11-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #34
Inactive Account

OK, first I'll admit I read most of page one here then skipped the rest. Why, because I'm a relative newbie to this market, but I think I've heard it all.

I read all the damned reviews out there before deciding what to buy.

I listened to the endless bickering on many sites before deciding what to buy.

I downloaded every freeking manual before deciding what to buy.

You know what sold me? Holding one in my hand.

In my price range, Canon felt cheap, Nikon felt cheap, and Pentax felt like muscle car. It fit my hand better, it resists the weather better, and it's not a "follow the crowd" camera.

I think too many self proclaimed Pros overanalyze things.

Everything else aside, I bought my K10D because I Like it dammit!

Tom

11-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #35

I have to agree with you on the sales side of things, Pentax is comming on really strong.
I live in a part of the world where wildlife photography is very popular.
The camara stores can't keep the K10D in stock. They finally gave me a demo yesterday.
In both stores, the top tech guys are now using this camera. Thats what they say anyway.
I myself have not seen my results yet. I was not given a USB cable with the loaner camera.

But I will let you all know soon.

Mike
11-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Pentax felt like muscle car.
That's a great comparison!
11-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Quote
That's a great comparison!
Thanks! Funny, but that really was the first thing I though of when I held one.
11-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought my wife her first DSLR, a Pentax istD because of the reason in the original post: She has a lot of lenses from her K1000 and Ricoh manual SLRs. Later I bought a K100D for myself for the same reason, I have a few K1000 lenses plus can borrow hers. I have no regrets, I use my Pentax often. I've lost my love of full manual, but my wife put on the Pentax macro I bought her for the K1000 and almost never took it off. Now she bought a K100D and her only automatic lenses (mainly for birds) so she NEVER removes the manual macro from the istD!

My astrophotography is another story. Yes, I have manual lenses to choose from and "K" T-adaptors for my telescopes. But astro support for Pentax is almost non-existant. Canon dominates the market, they even made an Astro only camera 20Da and now the 40D has many features astronomers love. Mirror lock up so you can take 1000 shots rapid fire without wearing the mechanism and live display to focus on stars to mention a few. Still, I'm happy with my modified K110D and use it for astro often. If I had it to do over, perhaps instead of buying a K110D for astro and removing the filter myself I'd get a professionally modified D40. I'd still use the Pentax K100D for daytime photography.

11-19-2007, 06:07 AM   #39
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Pentax will blow Nikon and Canon out of the water this March
Speaking of crack smoking... I am sorry codiac but this sounds like cheerleading to me.

@ Donald. Go and read the comparison paragraph in the Canon D40 review that it is recent.