Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K100D Super vs. K20D: MY NON scientific comments on how they compare

Hi,

Before I start, let's be clear this is just my OPINION. You don't have to agree with me, your opinion may be different etc.
I have used a K100D Super for over 4 years now. That was my first DSLR and I love it. It has performed flawlessly, beyond my expectations.
After decades of "just a hobby", about 2 years ago I started to get more seriously into photography. I learned that the most important equipment upgrade was to the (big and fat) part behind the camera. Long story made short, I'm now a "semi-pro" which by my definition means I make some money out of photography, taking pictures not for myself but for paying customers, but I still need my day job
I don't expect to make a living out of photography. I tried it for 3 months and it is a LOT of work. But that's another story.
Last year I started to search for a backup body or an upgrade. In February I bought a K20D. Within minutes, it felt like an old friend. Instant chemistry between us. I feared the K100DS would be relegated but I'm happy to report that it is not the case.
When it comes to features, dedicated controls and overall technical performance, the K20D is a lovely machine. For me it has the perfect size, weight, controls etc.
However, there is one paramater: ONE where I believe my K100DS is still unbeaten: Image Quality. That happens to be a very important parameter. Not that the K20D is not good. It is! Just that to me the K100DS is just a hair better.
I have done 100% crop on the K100DS with good results. In the K20, not so. So the cropping ability advantage of the higher resolution kind of washes out a bit.
I have also found I spend more time in PP with the K20 images than with the K100DS.
My lens collection is humble. No Limiteds or DA* yet. I hope to eventually.... That may be part of it as well.
Bottom line, I carry both. I look like Rambo with my K20/DA 55-300 and K100DS/DA 18-55 hanging on my neck at an air show
At the moment, my most lethal body-lens combo is my K100DS with my trusty A 50 f1.7 Metal gloves recommended or the sharpness may cut you
Conclusion: I enjoy both! I love the K20 and how it feels. But for the ultimate in IQ in controlled conditions, I still find myself going back to my old K100DS: ~30,000 clicks and counting.
What do you think? Can this be related to the fact that I'm still in the K100DS mindset? lens selection? Anyway, I'm going out to shoot something with either one. Anything I can find

Thanks!

06-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My journey with Pentax was very similar to yours, and I too spent a period of time where I felt the K20D IQ was not on the same plane as the K100 K200 sensors. However, over time, I learned that the RAW files were indeed capable of the same IQ, though it did take some trial and error to figure-out how to post process them to match.

Eventually, we upgraded our K100 with a K200D(which had similar characteristics), and in time we replaced our K20's with K-5's. Both of which offer similar output curves to the K20D also.

For what it's worth, there is a small Photoshop plugin called "Perfectly Clear" that makes adjusting RAW files a one click affair. Prior to that, I tweaked my own ACR profiles to get the job done.

The good news is, that with enough exposure, adjusting and optimizing RAW files to match becomes very easy. And at some point second nature. Though I will admit, bodies like the 100 Super, K10 and K200 did set the precedence on what good output is! - And for that I am grateful.
06-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As John pointed out a lot of us former (and current) K100Ds users just feel that the 6MP sensor was something special. The images, straight out of the camera, fo some reason had something to them. I now shoot with a K-5 and love the camera but my K100Ds and that sensor will hold a special place in my memory.