Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
A flanged type adapter will fix the problem for you: M42 Lens to PK Adapter for Pentax K2000 K20D K-5 KR K-7 | eBay

Get a metallic looking one rather than a black one for the camera contacts.

Just ordered this flanged M42 to K adapter (provided in quoted link above). I hope it works well with my Helios 44-2 and K-X Thanks.

06-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Hope it works well, and do let us know how you get on. You may find you don't have enough focus travel for infinity focus, in which case I'll be very interested to find out about how you go about adjusting this (no doubt a kindly forum member will tell us how).

Assuming you end up with satisfactory focusing, the flanged-type adapter is by far the nicest (and cheapest) solution...
06-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Just ordered this flanged M42 to K adapter (provided in quoted link above). I hope it works well with my Helios 44-2 and K-X Thanks.
I hope it is ok. Please let us know!
06-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

You'll lose infinity focus (you'll be able to focus up to 3-5m) but you'll gain closer focusing capability. Which is not a big issue with the Helios IMO, as I don't usually use it for focusing at a distance. And you'll see no play with this adapter. Even if you don't like losing the infinity focus, it's not a bad buy. I have one - now I stuck it onto a mirror lens that could focus past infinity and it's perfect

06-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #20
Inactive Account

http://retrotek.biz/blog/archives/140

Is a photo tutorial on how to adjust infinity focus for the Helios-44 should that prove necessary!
06-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
Inactive Account

http://retrotek.biz/blog/archives/140

Is a photo tutorial on how to adjust infinity focus for the Helios-44 should that prove necessary!

Do not be afraid! Lenses can smell fear! Actually it is the tiny screws and balls that smell fear & try to run and hide. You can thwart their escape by working on fabric like a plain weave dishtowel so they can't roll away. Really.
06-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Do not be afraid! Lenses can smell fear! Actually it is the tiny screws and balls that smell fear & try to run and hide. You can thwart their escape by working on fabric like a plain weave dishtowel so they can't roll away. Really.
Also, work in a box with sides too high for the little escape artists to leap over. These guys are springier than fleas.
06-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
You'll lose infinity focus (you'll be able to focus up to 3-5m) but you'll gain closer focusing capability. Which is not a big issue with the Helios IMO, as I don't usually use it for focusing at a distance. And you'll see no play with this adapter. Even if you don't like losing the infinity focus, it's not a bad buy. I have one - now I stuck it onto a mirror lens that could focus past infinity and it's perfect
Couldn't I get the bottom of this adapter sanded down a bit at like a machine shop? Maybe the woudn't charge me too much.

07-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Couldn't I get the bottom of this adapter sanded down a bit at like a machine shop? Maybe the woudn't charge me too much.
There are reasons to sand-down some adapters, but not this one. If a Helios or other M42 lens is adjusted for infinity focus, you would have to grind away THE ENTIRE FLANGE to retain infinity focus! It would make more sense just to use an Official Pentax or Bower-clone thin-flange adapter.

When to grind adapters: There is a simple non-destructive way to adapt Exakta-mount lenses to PK. Remove (and save!) the index screw from the lens base. Use contact cement to glue a cheap thin M39-M42 adapter ring around the lens bayonet mount. Grind about 0.6mm from a Bower-clone M42-PK adapter and thread that over the glued ring. Voila, infinity focus! Completely reversible!

How to grind the adapter: Tape a piece of 100-grit or rougher sandpaper to a hard very flat surface, like a marble tile. Put the adapter flange-down on the sandpaper. Use a comfortable-size rubber or soft wood block to hold the adapter. Grind away.
07-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Let's not worry yet. It may be fine as is.