Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #1

Thinking about trading my K10D for a K100D

I'm thinking about trading my K10D for a K100D. I'm seeing the latter offered for prices in the US$250-$275 range so the difference is attractive.

My reasoning is simple -- I thought I could live without fast glass but have learned that I prefer not to. Oh sure, it's available but when it shows up there's a feeding frenzy and it ends up selling for prices I don't want to pay.

In any case, I really like the basic qualities of the two models in question and intend to use the K100D as the platform for some MF Pentax and Tamron lenses that I like a lot. In my experience, SR works best at focal lengths <100mm and I can do a lot in that range.

I've never used a K100D other than to handle one at the counter of a local camera store. Am I giving up anything critical by trading away the K10D?

TIA!/Scottax1

11-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by scottax1 Quote
I'm thinking about trading my K10D for a K100D. I'm seeing the latter offered for prices in the US$250-$275 range so the difference is attractive.

My reasoning is simple -- I thought I could live without fast glass but have learned that I prefer not to. Oh sure, it's available but when it shows up there's a feeding frenzy and it ends up selling for prices I don't want to pay.

In any case, I really like the basic qualities of the two models in question and intend to use the K100D as the platform for some MF Pentax and Tamron lenses that I like a lot. In my experience, SR works best at focal lengths <100mm and I can do a lot in that range.

I've never used a K100D other than to handle one at the counter of a local camera store. Am I giving up anything critical by trading away the K10D?

TIA!/Scottax1
What are the financial implications...obviously you're going to sell for the K10D for a loss, is the net savings REALLY going to justify it? Not to mention the hassle of selling the K10D.

Seriously how much are we talking about $200-300? Seems like a silly move...
11-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scottax1 Quote

TIA!/Scottax1
I think it is easier to use the K10D. I come from film. I don't even have a digital camera other than the K10D that arrived yesterday, except for a 640x480 cell phone - and it doesn't count. I took about 3 photos with it, and it lived down to my expectations.

All the controls on the K10D seem to be in pretty well the right place, although I would have preferred the front e-dial and the shutter release reversed in position. Coming from the MZ-S, I keep turning the front e-dial when I want to turn the camera on. I'll get used to it.

I did not buy the K10D for the 10 Mp, but for the controls. The weather proofing was a plus as well. I emphatically didn't buy the K10D because it was small and light - it feels really good in my hands with the grip and spare battery on the bottom.

So, what you will give up is:
  1. Weatherproof body
  2. Second e-dial
  3. Most useful controls outside the menus
  4. USER mode plus everything except scenes
  5. AF point selection on a dial on the back
  6. AF button does not share the OK button
You will gain
  1. Scene modes
  2. Lighter body
11-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From a financial standpoint, it is a foolish decision. I don't mean to be offensive but it simply does not make any sense. If you find yourself in financial straits and unable to purchase the "glass" that you believe will produce better images for you, then start a savings' account specifically for that eventuality. But selling your k10d whose advantages have been documented above for a gain of a few hundred dollars is simply foolish and I believe you would regret it.

11-16-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I own and use the K100D, and although I've tried the K10D I don't really need the Weatherproof body or Second e-dial. Or any of the other features offered.

All in all they're both great cameras, and if you know how to use it you can consistantly get great pictures from it
11-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I own and use the K100D, and although I've tried the K10D I don't really need the Weatherproof body or Second e-dial. Or any of the other features offered.

All in all they're both great cameras, and if you know how to use it you can consistantly get great pictures from it
there is nothing wrong with havng a K100. what financially doesn't compute is downgrading if you have already purchased a K10. by the time you sell the K10 and see what you get for it on the second hand market, and buy the K100 and pay a few extras that you didn't expect like shipping or handling you aren't going to get a pile of $$$, and if you end up buying the K100 instead of the K100 super, you've bought an obsolete model that won't support SDM.

While this isn't the end of the world and if I had an K100 I wouldn't go jump off a bridge, I sure wouldn't trade my K10 for 1. I have an istD which does about everything a K100 does (and works with my TTL flashes as well, but it is really on the way out, as I like the improved resolution of the K10 so much that the istD is sitting unused.
11-17-2007, 12:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As has been pointed out, this is silly...If you need the money, sell the camera..But to sell it to downgrade for 50 bucks is nutz...if that..

11-17-2007, 01:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once sold a Pentax LX to get some cash for a MZ-5N and have regretted it ever since. Nothing wrong with the 5N just that the LX was a really top camera. Even though I don't shoot much film these days I still look at second hand prices for a LX body. My message is don't downgrade!
11-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't do it. I maybe would get a 100D for a second body but I would never downgrade. You don't know what the future holds, maybe you don't think you'll ever need the weather sealing but then a once in a lifetime trip shows up where you might really need it. You've got it, keep it.
11-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #10
Not Registered

Wow, the original post sounds like a "I am thinking in jumping into the same ship"....spooky....

Seriously, I think that if you want to trade it and make good use of the money it shouldnt be a bad movement. But if money is not an issue then I dont see the point.
11-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
I once sold a Pentax LX to get some cash for a MZ-5N and have regretted it ever since. Nothing wrong with the 5N just that the LX was a really top camera. Even though I don't shoot much film these days I still look at second hand prices for a LX body. My message is don't downgrade!
Funny you mention this because I have been thinking about purchasing a film camera (not to replace anything, but to enhance)..The reason for this is because I believe it will teach me some discipline in choosing my shots more closely and teach me to really play attention to my surrounding's...

I have noticed that the best photographers ''seem'' to have come out of the film era...Does this makes sense?

Sorry for derailing this thread. Perhaps a mod can split it and start a new one from here...Of course I would by a Pentax since I have many lenses...
11-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
Not Registered

[QUOTE=jgredline;120401]

I have noticed that the best photographers ''seem'' to have come out of the film era...Does this makes sense?

QUOTE]

They had no other choice since they started before the digital era. At any case there are somethings that film cameras handle better than the digital ones. I would advice you to use the K1000, or a Spotmatic or a ME just to have the feeling of what it is an humungous viewfiender. I wouldnt advice you to go for a MZ-S cos it is expensive and you might want to have first a taste of film processing, etc. You can also consider the PZ-1/1-p since they are the best bang for the buck that one can find on film cameras.

Hope it helps and good luck
11-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Well, anyone who has been into photography more than 4 or 5 years started in the film era, so I don't think it is that surprising. I don't think there is anything about film that fundamentally makes you a better photographer (other than hours and hours and hours in a darkroom -- but is that any different from hours and hours and hours in Lightroom?). It's just a matter of putting in the years of shooting.
11-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Oops, forgot to answer the OP. I wouldn't do it. Not worth it. Down the road maybe pick one up as a second body, but that's about it.
11-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i use a k100d super, and its awesome for the money..k10d or the k100d, either way, its still goen to be a superb entry level DSLR. i will do you a deal tho.. i will trade my k100d for ure k10d??