Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Used K100D Super report

I'm happy to learn that my Albinar-ADG 28-80mm/3.9 works just dandy in Av mode with the A setting on the aperture ring. (Happy happy joy joy....)

Now to review (yet again!) those helpful articles about using manual lenses on digital bodies, then begin experimenting with a Super Albinar MC 80-205mm/4.5, a Pentax-M 135mm/3.5, and a Pentax-M 50mm/2. More anon....

06-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #2

Original Poster
Stating for the record....

Because it may seem a no-brainer that A lenses work in Av/manual focus mode, I should add that the K100D was purchased used with a non-functioning auto focus. I have no idea what other camera functions, if any, are impacted by the loss of auto focus. I intend (prefer) to use manual focus with just about every lens I have, or acquire in the future.

So that makes this (for me, anyway, digital/electronic camera noob that I am) a voyage of discovery.
06-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Huh! waddyaknow...?

Just because autofocus is inoperable, doesn't mean auto exposure is inoperable ("duh!", right?).

It doesn't seem to matter what M lens I put on the K100Ds, or what mode I twist the dial around to, the camera is somehow globally set for Av mode. When I press the shutter halfway, the auto exposure does its job; pressed all the way, the shutter grabs the picture. Nice!!

So based on my experiences thus far, I don't seem to have to bother with toggling the DOF or AE-L buttons. VERY Nice!!

That said, I haven't yet seen any electronic focusing aids in the viewfinder, or heard any beeps. Either the "Manual Focus" setting disables them, or they're part of the inoperable autofocus system. Anybody care to chime in with their thoughts?
06-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PxK1Gee Quote
Just because autofocus is inoperable, doesn't mean auto exposure is inoperable ("duh!", right?).

It doesn't seem to matter what M lens I put on the K100Ds, or what mode I twist the dial around to, the camera is somehow globally set for Av mode. When I press the shutter halfway, the auto exposure does its job; pressed all the way, the shutter grabs the picture. Nice!!

So based on my experiences thus far, I don't seem to have to bother with toggling the DOF or AE-L buttons. VERY Nice!!

That said, I haven't yet seen any electronic focusing aids in the viewfinder, or heard any beeps. Either the "Manual Focus" setting disables them, or they're part of the inoperable autofocus system. Anybody care to chime in with their thoughts?
With an M lens, you can only use aperture-priority AE wide-open. If you want to shoot at smaller apertures there are other steps that you need to take and shoot in M mode (stop-down metering)

09-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah, finally figured that one out; wide-open aperture resulted in a lot of washed out images, no DOF to speak of, and loss of detail.

Live and learn. Thanks for the reminder.
09-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just came in from a morning of shooting my K100D with an M50/1.7 - lots of fun & got some good shots. Yes, your lenses with the 'A' setting on the aperture ring can be used in Av mode - so nice to be able to control aperture with the control wheel Your M lenses require an extra step or two. First select your aperture on the lens's aperture ring while in M mode. Then after composing & focusing your shot, hit the AE-L button (on the K100 series cameras). The lens will stop down & allow the camera to calculate exposure. Then take the shot. Life without autofocus isn't bad in Pentax-land with the great selection of quality older manual lenses available

Last edited by paulh; 09-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.
09-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes....life is very good in Pentax-land, even without AF. No problem a-tall with extra steps; I'm so used to setting the exposure with the K1000, I'd feel lost if I didn't have the AE button to hit before taking the shot. <grin>