Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10D Bracketing with remote

Okay, no probs setting up a 3 or 5 shot bracket handheld or should i say pressing down and holding the shutter button but cant seem to get it to fire the same sequences using the remote???..
Red light blinks away, press the remote button and one shot fires away but even holding down on the remotes button doesnt set of the other two/four shots??..
Am i missing something or can it be only done holding down the shutter button??..
Cheers and thanking youin advance for advice...

11-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

Using bracketing - remote - or self timer are mutually exclsuive. As you discovered they are accessible from the same Fn function and cannot be used in combination.

Cheers,
Rusty
11-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have found that you have to press the remote once for each shot. So if your bracket sequence is 5 shots total, you must press the button five times.
11-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Unless someone has figured out a trick I haven't discovered yet, the continuous three or five image burst normally associated with exposure bracketing is not available with the wireless remote, Papou. The camera will actually bracket the exposures, but you'll have to physically press the button on the wireless remote three or five times. Another option is a wired remote since bracketing will behave as expected with that.

stewart

11-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cheers and really appreciated.. Thought i might have been doing something wrong.. So it seems i shall have to either just hold ye ole buttom in or just fire the remote for each succesive shot if i want the stabillty of the tripod without possible handshake through the Camera...
Papou...
11-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi Papou

I have recently considered using my K10D to experiment with the HDR (High Dynamic Range) technique, which relies upon bracketing to extend the dynamic range of the sensor. I subsequently discovered that unfortunately:

QuoteQuote:
The camera will actually bracket the exposures, but you'll have to physically press the button on the wireless remote three or five times.
In my opinion this is a genuinely stupid and avoidable oversight, which is crying out for an automated solution.
If the K10D is capable of bracketing a five-shot exposure, then surely it's not exactly rocket-science to incorporate an
'automated shutter release' facility within Remote Assistant software, whilst also enabling HDR photography in the camera body itself via a software update for the K10D ?
Anyone listening at Pentoya ????

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 11-18-2007 at 09:39 AM.
11-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

The bracketing will work with a wired release and holding down the shutter release button. I have a home made release and it works for doing the bracketing.

11-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi property#1

But it SHOULD be a function of the camera itself IMHO and a unique selling point. Yet another 'missed opportunity' gone begging !

Best regards
Richard
11-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
(snip) In my opinion this is a genuinely stupid and avoidable oversight, which is crying out for an automated solution. If the K10D is capable of bracketing a five-shot exposure, then surely it's not exactly rocket-science to incorporate an 'automated shutter release' facility within Remote Assistant software, whilst also enabling HDR photography in the camera body itself via a software update for the K10D ? Anyone listening at Pentoya ????

Actually, since I use the wireless remote most often in the studio and my flash units in the power-saving mode take a second or two to recycle between exposures, I actually prefer pressing the button three or five times myself to trigger the individual exposures, Richard. Others using the wireless remote indoors would likely also be using artificial lighting as well, and perhaps that lighting environment is exactly what Pentax considered when when designing this feature that way. After all, since infrared remotes don't work that great in bright outdoor lighting conditions, it's probably better to use a wired remote outside the studio or other enclosed areas anyway, and bracketing does behave normally with a wired remote.

No comment about the Remote Assistant software other than to say I agree somewhat. As for HDR since so few are engaged in this at the moment (very little demand), I doubt it to be incorporated into the camera at this time. Enough said about either since both are somewhat off topic.

stewart
11-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

for those ppl who want it to continue shooting for bracketing with remote, just set your camera to continuous shooting mode, then when u r bracketing just hold the remote button and it will fire away ( just remember to count the sound tho :P )
11-20-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
for those ppl who want it to continue shooting for bracketing with remote, just set your camera to continuous shooting mode, then when u r bracketing just hold the remote button and it will fire away ( just remember to count the sound tho :P )
Continuous drive and wireless remote are mutually-exclusive modes on the K10D.