Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #1

Shake reduction on K100D

When I use my older Takumar lenses on my K100D, I cannot find any way to turn on shake reduction. It is my understanding that when I put on a lens on that the K100D does not recognize the focal length, it should prompt me for the focal length. Am I confused and this is a feature of the K10D and not the K100D? I’ve gone through every menu…What am I missing? SR turns on fine when I’m using the DA lens.

David

11-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #2

First, You need have the camera set to Manual focus. Now, With the camera powered off, turn SR on. Now turn on the camera. The LCD should have a screen asking you to enter the focal length of the lens. Select the right focal length, and you should be good to go.
Remember, the shake reduction is in the camera body, not the lens, like Canon and Nikon.

Good luck.
11-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
I had forgotten about the MF switch. I tried it with no luck. I goes straight to the onfo screen and shows shake reduction off. The menu also doesn't allow me to select it.
11-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't have any manual focus Pentax lenses - so don't have any direct experience.

However looking through my K100D manual on Shake Reduction - Pages 47-49 - I found this on page 49 -

(Download Manual for K100D)

11-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
You are fanfastic. That is the information that I wasn't able to find. Just for reference, it doesn't seem to matter where the AF/MF switch is set. I knew that I had read about it, but I couldn't find it again in the manual and that "Fl with S lens used" setting didn't make since when I went through the menus. It does now that I know what it means. Aren't there K mount lenses which would need to be set the same way or did all of the K mount lenses have automatic acquisition of the Fl?

Thanks again. This forum is great.

David
11-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fletcherkane Quote
First, You need have the camera set to Manual focus. .........The LCD should have a screen asking you to enter the focal length of the lens. Select the right focal length, and you should be good to go.

Good luck.
This is good advice, but I thought I'd add something since I was fiddling around with my K100d and some "A" lenses today. I forgot to switch the AF/MF switch to MF when adding a Pentax SMC-A 28mm lens, and the camera still asked for the focal length after I turned the camera back on. I seem to forget to switch to MF a lot and don't notice anything amiss until I try to focus, then it dawns on me.......
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidH Quote
Aren't there K mount lenses which would need to be set the same way or did all of the K mount lenses have automatic acquisition of the Fl?

David
Only a moment ago I posted on another thread that I leave the cryptic, "FL with S lens used" set on my K100D because I have a Vivitar 2X adaptor that does not pass through any electrical signals. Thus, even my modern "K" lens need manual focal length set for SR when using the multipler. I leave the option set all the time, the only disconcerting thing is it prompts for FL with no lens attached.

11-19-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You don't have to set the af/mf switch to mf. But if the switch is set to af, the shutter button will not fully depress until focus is obtained. I almost always have the af/mf switch in the af position.
11-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
You don't have to set the af/mf switch to mf. But if the switch is set to af, the shutter button will not fully depress until focus is obtained. I almost always have the af/mf switch in the af position.
You can get around that, I don't recall the setting but you can allow the shutter to release without focus confirmation. Mind you, you may not want to set it thus! I've got it set that way and manage to take some lousy photos...

Julie