Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
White K-x breaks the ice

Hey all.

Yesterday, my wife & I were strolling around the botanical gardens & I had my newly acquired white K-x body & Tamron SP 60-300 with me, taking some macro shots of flowers & stuff. An older lady sitting on a bench called out "Cool camera! Love that white color!" We struck up a conversation, and as it turns out, she used to teach photography. She asked me what kind of camera it was, and was surprised when I told her it was a Pentax. She said she didn't know Pentax made a DSLR. She also told me she had a K1000 in the closet and that she'd been looking at a DSLR for her daughter, but the Nikons & Canons she'd looked at were way above her budget.

She seemed genuinely thrilled to learn that a used Pentax body could be had for a couple of hundred bucks & her daughter could use her old PK lenses with it. She had me make a list of which ones to be on the lookout for, and excitedly told me she'd just figured out her daughter's Christmas gift.

Just kind of a neat little experience I thought I'd share with y'all.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

06-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is rather neat. Maybe you've reeled in another Pentax person. You needed some business cards with you advertising this website!! (Adam, are you listening? A business card template for this forum is required!!)

It also shows that Pentax marketing still isn't getting out there.

I do wonder if this manufacturing obsession with black DSLRs (why are they nearly always black? Worst colour for gathering heat in the summer) does tend to intimidate people whereas a camera in a 'friendly' colour tends to lessen the impact. Granted it would be a bit more difficult to manufacture cameras in many colours but perhaps a coloured rubberized skin could be made to fit the various models to replace a factory rubber grip.
06-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Great story. Thanks for sharing.
06-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
It also shows that Pentax marketing still isn't getting out there.
That was my thoughts as well... I mean, here's a woman who was into photography, and a photography teacher, and even she didn't know Pentax made DSLRs... Geesh...

I'm pretty sure her daughter's a future Pentaxian... Heck, the lady I talked to might even pick one up for herself. She was very enthused about it.

I must confess I initially wanted a black (or olive) K-x, (I'm just the kinda guy who usually likes to go more or less unnoticed.) but the white has grown on me. I don't think I could bring myself to buy a loud colored DSLR, though.

Cheers,

06-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I do wonder if this manufacturing obsession with black DSLRs (why are they nearly always black? Worst colour for gathering heat in the summer) does tend to intimidate people whereas a camera in a 'friendly' colour tends to lessen the impact.
Black pigment has many advantages for plastic. It's cheap (it's just carbon), hides some color mistakes that the raw plastic might have, stable (non fading) in UV light, tends to act as a lubricant for injection molding, helps to prolong the plastic life when exposed to UV light, and it doesn't interfere with recycling the plastic like paint can. That is why so many electronic gadgets come with black plastic housings.
06-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for that, I didn't know that about black pigment. Certainly explains a lot. Actually, most electronics seem to be basically black plastic with paint on.

I presume the real reason is that it's the most inexpensive pigment (as you mentioned, it is cheap).

It would still be nice to have other colour options though, how about a camera that can change it's colour based on temperature or where you're holding it.
06-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Black pigment has many advantages for plastic.
I think black might also hide scratches & small dings better than a colored body. But that's just a theory.

how about a camera that can change it's colour based on temperature or where you're holding it
A mood camera! Like far out, man!!!

06-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice story - thanks for sharing. Would like to know what lenses she had and what you recommended to her
06-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I've had the same thing happen to me.

At the end of May, I was at the Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival, which was being held at Sandy Point State Park in Maryland. I was walking around the vendors area snapping pictures with my white K-x, and one of the vendors stopped me and said "wow, where did you get that WHITE camera? What is it??"

She was very intrigued, so of course I walked over and started talking to her. She seemed amazed that a dSLR came in any other color other than black and was even more surprised when I explained just how many colors these things come in.

A white K-x - always a great ice-breaker and conversation starter!
06-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story - thx for sharing!

Fwiw I was at the PDN/Photoplus show in NYC and was stopped more than once by people curious about the red K-x hanging around my neck. It surprised me because this was a show for photographers and people were still surprised.

And now Canon and Olympus are releasing color cameras.
06-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Very nice story - thanks for sharing. Would like to know what lenses she had and what you recommended to her
She didn't say which lenses she had with her K1000... Only that she had several.

As far as what I recommended, she said she was on a tight budget, and her daughter was just starting to get interested in photography, so from cheapest to not as cheap, I recommended the *ist D & all of it's permutations, K100D, K110, & K-x.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
And now Canon and Olympus are releasing color cameras.
I do think the colored Panasonics are kinda handsome...

They're a bit more subdued looking than some of the K-x colors.

Cheers,
06-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I do think the colored Panasonics are kinda handsome...

They're a bit more subdued looking than some of the K-x colors.
I hadn't really looked at the Panasonics but they are quite distinguished aren't they. My first three P & S cameras were a Lumix FZ5,7 & 8 and I loved all three before I switched to the Pentax DSLRs.
06-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've mentioned this before on here I think : my local camera mall here in Shanghai has a couple of Pentax only stores, one of which is where I buy most of my gear. I asked them about the Kx / Kr models in different colours and how well they sold. The red models are their #1 seller, followed by a tie between White & Black.
06-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

When I bought my k-r it was a toss up between the red and the white, but I wish they made the olive or yellow for the k-r in the US.
06-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my friend has a red K-x and she is soo happy about it, she loves red colour
I got black coz it was at good price, but the white...it has the magic, with that silver stripe