Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #1

In camera PP and RAW

Do all the in camera post process options like sharpness, saturation, contrast, noise reduction, chromatic abberations etc etc only apply to jpg's, or does the camera apply them to my RAW files as well.

IF it applies it to the raw file, that kind of defeats the purpose of a RAW format, and if it does not, then I might as well turn it all off (since I shoot raw).

I need to know which of the settings I have control of in camera, actually make an impact on my RAW images.

07-01-2011, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Those settings only apply to JPG. RAW is - well - RAW.
07-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. That is good to know! And I take it this applies for ALL the settings? I have been shooting with a lot of strange settings I don't need then

If I'm not mistaken, some of those settings can be applied in the pentax raw program as well. So that if I want a "genuine" pentax jpg, I could just apply the preset on the computer, and end up with an identical images as the camera would have produced?
07-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Raw is raw.EV compensation and white balance are pretty sure part of the raw file

07-01-2011, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The various camera settings, such as sharpness, contrast, white balance, etc., are not "cooked" into the RAW file, as they are in a JPEG, but the settings are attached to the RAW file. When you view the image on the LCD, those settings are applied to the displayed image.

Also, many computer programs will pick up those settings and use them for the initial display of the image. However, the original data is still present, so it is easy to "undo" the setting and use whatever you like. With a JPEG, the camera actually modifies the data, so that the PP program can not simply retrieve the original.
07-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

noblepa is exactly right. The JPG settings carry over as defaults in most RAW development programs. So when I load images into PentaxPhotoLab3, those are the base settings. I usually tweak at least the WB, often contrast and sensitivity, sometimes other settings, especially if I'm doing B&W conversions. I may save one or two dozen JPGs from one RAW file (which remains untouched). Very very very rarely do I get a picture where I got the JPG setting exactly 'right' for my taste. If I shot JPG only, I could do various tweaks (or more) with the image editor, but I wouldn't have the sensor's unprocessed data to work with. Developed RAW looks better.
07-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The various camera settings, such as sharpness, contrast, white balance, etc., are not "cooked" into the RAW file, as they are in a JPEG, but the settings are attached to the RAW file. When you view the image on the LCD, those settings are applied to the displayed image.
This answer is clear, yet I'm still left with some confusion. Others have mentioned that for maximum write speed ALL in-camera extras should be turned off. Does this apply when shooting RAW only? And does anyone know if it's just the simple fact of attaching these settings to the RAW file that adds to the write time?
07-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
This answer is clear, yet I'm still left with some confusion. Others have mentioned that for maximum write speed ALL in-camera extras should be turned off. Does this apply when shooting RAW only? And does anyone know if it's just the simple fact of attaching these settings to the RAW file that adds to the write time?
Most all settings are excluded in RAW however there are some exceptions and NR is one of them. Though I don't know if the CA and lens adjustments are similar when it comes to this(they might be).

Either way, I turn everything off(except lens calibration) in exchange for RAW development based on the advantages it brings over the camera equivalent.

07-02-2011, 04:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hmm are you sure about the NR JohnBee? I did a test with NR on and off from iso 1600 to 12800, RAW+Jpg. I could not see any noticeable difference in the NR of or on for the RAW files, but there was a difference on the jpg.
07-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Even when shooting RAW, the camera has to generate a JPEG preview to embed in the RAW image, and it will take your JPEG settings into account in doing so. So any settings that slow things down will presumably continue to do so even when shooting RAW.
07-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Even when shooting RAW, the camera has to generate a JPEG preview to embed in the RAW image, and it will take your JPEG settings into account in doing so. So any settings that slow things down will presumably continue to do so even when shooting RAW.
Thanks Marc. That makes sense.