Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hyperactive fluctuation of price of Eye-Fi X2 Pro on Amazon

The best Eye-Fi card, that we as RAW shooters need if considering this technology, is the X2 Pro. It's retail price is around $100. I find it interesting that a couple nights ago, on Amazon, it was at $91 or so then a few minutes after that it was at $59. Now it is at around $75. I got lucky and bought it at $59 the other night and should have it in a few days.

So if you are interested in this wi-fi SD card, best to monitor the price on it--maybe it will drop down to below $60 again.

07-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The biggest thing that concerns me about these cards is the read/write speed. The price is a little on the high side given that.
07-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #3

Yah I have the Eye-fi X2 Pro card and I'm pretty disappointed with it. I recently took some pics of my niece for her senior prom. I bracketed exposure by one stop up and down. Shot in raw format on my K7 and a good portion of the pics were corrupt. Not all of them and there didn't seem to be any pattern. Just some were ok and some were corrupt. I never had that problem with any other card Ive used in the camera. I can only guess that the card couldn't keep up with my bracketing shots.
07-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'll see how it goes. (I have a K-X.) If I have any problems with it, I have 30 days to return it to Amazon for a full refund.

07-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i went hunting at the store for the store"mobile" version for my H90 but the best they had was the "explore", transfer speed was slower than i expected so it sits now in my Lx5 transferring to my tablet which is marginally faster. I'm not sure that i'll invest anymore into these cards.
07-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, so I received this Eye-Fi Pro X2 wi-fi 8gb SD card from Amazon yesterday. It was worked flawlessly for me transferring RAW files. Sending the first image is slower because it has to make the connection, but successive images come over pretty fast--just takes a few seconds to transfer each image. I have had zero corruption. I haven't tried bracketed exposures yet; I'll give that a go.

It copies the image off the card into a specified directory on your hard drive. You can then modify Aperture or Lightroom with available scripts (or whatever) so it monitors that directory and automatically imports any new images it finds.

This is pretty handy.. wireless tethering, with respect to just getting the image over to the computer to see it full resolution (instead of my low res k-x screen).

I am going to try to get it to work with iPhone next.
07-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Okay, so I received this Eye-Fi Pro X2 wi-fi 8gb SD card from Amazon yesterday. It was worked flawlessly for me transferring RAW files. Sending the first image is slower because it has to make the connection, but successive images come over pretty fast--just takes a few seconds to transfer each image. I have had zero corruption. I haven't tried bracketed exposures yet; I'll give that a go.

It copies the image off the card into a specified directory on your hard drive. You can then modify Aperture or Lightroom with available scripts (or whatever) so it monitors that directory and automatically imports any new images it finds.

This is pretty handy.. wireless tethering, with respect to just getting the image over to the computer to see it full resolution (instead of my low res k-x screen).

I am going to try to get it to work with iPhone next.
The only problem i had was getting it to transfer pics to my laptop thru an "ad-hoc" connection (direct wireless instead of over a network). After using Connectify to fix that its been smooth sailing just like yours have been.

They have an app for Android too. I probably won't use it during a job but it'll be fun to play around with.

My only real gripe is that the card REALLY drains the battery. Nature of the beast I guess since it has to keep the wi-fi connection going

07-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Took 6 sets of bracketed exposure captures. None of the 18 pictures were corrupted. This card has worked perfectly for me so far. I really love it. No more having to take the card out of the camera to import.

I set the camera to turn off after 3 mins of no use instead of the default 1 minute, so the wifi will still have power to finish copying the files over.