Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
MF is great and all, but it is such a miniscule market that whether or not they rule the MF domain is almost irrelevant.
The FF market is a tiny share also, but those sexy big sensors draw attention to brands. Part of the CaNikon marketing model has been the suggestion, "Pros use our gear! Buy our gear and you can be a pro too!" Ricoh, Fujica and Samsung have made noises about digital MF. Priced right, it can be a CaNikon FF-killer, and a foothold in the mass-dSLR market.

If Ricoh-Pentax can show a progression path from Q to K to MF, all the better. Especially if the cost of MF can be brought down. The 645D reduces the entry fee from US$30k+ to US$10k. Suppose a GXR with 645 module can be sold for US$3k? That would be a game-changer IMHO.

Last edited by RioRico; 07-06-2011 at 11:35 AM.
07-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well GXR is a nice system, but to expensive for the product you are getting. If you want multiple systems then there are dslr's that do the trick or systemcamera's that can do it at a smaller size. I don't think that making a K-mount module would be in need for purchasing the hole Pentax company, just paying for a permittance would be enough.

The GXR can be the mirrorless for K-mount. It can also run a Q-mount module, so there is a future for this system. I just don't know anyone who uses it.
I think the reason few people use the system because buying a new sensor every time you add a new lens to your system is just plain wasteful! Modules with interchangeable mounts make more sense, but will the public understand the concept?

At least with different mounts you could hope to attract Canikon users to the product, if they can get the licenses for those mounts. Depends if Canikon are planning their own compact systems, or if they need a 'shortcut'...
07-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
MF is great and all, but it is such a miniscule market that whether or not they rule the MF domain is almost irrelevant.
Rolls Royce, err I mean Hasellblad just got relegated to irrelevance.
10-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #49

Well I just noticed this for the first time!

Several of us seem to have been Ricoh film SLR users. I always felt that Ricoh was sort of part of the Pentax family, and now it's official. Hopefully the new company will survive and maybe get the brand back into the big stores e.g. Walmart and Staples.