Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I don't know if you were joking, but a k-mount GXR is a contradiction in terms. The k-mount is, by definition, an interchangeable lens system. The GXR is, by definition, an interchangeable lens/sensor module system. There is no way that they would ever make a GXR module that would accept k-mount lenses.

They claim that the reason for the GXR being the way it is, is that the sensor and lens can be a matched set and give better results than an interchangeable lens system can. I don't know if this is true or not, but putting a k-mount on it would mean it was no longer a GXR.
Well they are going to make a module for leica M lenses.

07-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Ricoh bought Pentax for GXR reasons (new rumour :-))

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Think module with aps-c sensor that would allow use of da ltd lens. Go look at the macro module for the gxr. It is no more a contradiction than the nx system. This would address the lake of a mirrorless aps-c system for those that have been expressing an interest in one and it would allow me to replace my e-p1 P&S with a system that would allow me to use my DA LTD lenses with af and not just mf. So no, in this particular case, I am not joking and yes it is possible.

Edit: Take a look at the aps-c module with an aps-c sensor and integrated macro 33/2.5 macro lens.

With a K-module, you would have the sensor from the K-5 and the ability to use the DA 35 ltd macro, DA 21 ltd, DA 40 ltd, DA 70 ltd ect.

Product Review: Ricoh GXR With Macro Lens/APS Module from Adorama Learning Center
I think we've all been puzzling over why Ricoh would want to buy Pentax; these are hard times, right, so they must have a specific reason.

NEW RUMOUR: Ricoh bought Pentax to help them make a giant killer out of the GXR system.

Question 1: How would Pentax help?
Pentax could help Ricoh in 3 ways:
a. Pentax has always had a good reputation for compact ergonomics and intuitive menus.

b. As Blue has ably pointed out, Pentax has a bevy of prime lenses for the aps sensor (which is now the heart of each GXR module), although some will work iwth FF as well. A GXR module adapter could credibly be built with AF/MF that would allow use of Pentax prime lenses and perhaps zoom lenses as well. If this adapter could be achieved, Ricoh's GXR system would be a strong contender in the mirrorless class of digital cameras, with many potential customers among the Pentax community (about 4% of SLR sales last year)

c. Let's say that for whatever reason, GXR is a total bust. Ricoh would still be in the game using the existing kmount/mirror system as a backup plan.

I think that compact camera sales are less than 1% of Ricoh's sales. GXR, with its aps modules, are a strong indication that Ricoh had more ambition than the compact camera market in its long range plan. Here's the Web page describing the GXR system, very innovative, AA filters dependent on the lens, waterproof/dustproof modules, APS sensors,

GXR / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global

What is cool for maintenance purposes is that if you have problems with the body shell, just buy a new one, not much to it besides the buttons, the battery and the LCD. If you have problems with a specific lens/sensor, send it in for repairs, you can continue to use your other ones.
07-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #33
Banned

Well GXR is a nice system, but to expensive for the product you are getting. If you want multiple systems then there are dslr's that do the trick or systemcamera's that can do it at a smaller size. I don't think that making a K-mount module would be in need for purchasing the hole Pentax company, just paying for a permittance would be enough.

The GXR can be the mirrorless for K-mount. It can also run a Q-mount module, so there is a future for this system. I just don't know anyone who uses it.
07-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Lets be honest does Ricoh instantly spring to your mind with re: dslr/consumer electronics without one actually having to google it??

You don't see Ricoh camera's filling the shelves - so much for their distribution expertise - not much different from current Pentax state

I believe this is just another rung down the ladder for Pentax Camera's - hopefully I'm wrong for you faithful.

07-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
You don't see Ricoh camera's filling the shelves - so much for their distribution expertise - not much different from current Pentax state
I looked into this and for the 5 biggest internetshops only one has some limited stock for a few items. So it is not running anywhere at the time.
07-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well GXR is a nice system, but to expensive for the product you are getting. If you want multiple systems then there are dslr's that do the trick or systemcamera's that can do it at a smaller size. I don't think that making a K-mount module would be in need for purchasing the hole Pentax company, just paying for a permittance would be enough.

The GXR can be the mirrorless for K-mount. It can also run a Q-mount module, so there is a future for this system. I just don't know anyone who uses it.
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Lets be honest does Ricoh instantly spring to your mind with re: dslr/consumer electronics without one actually having to google it??

I believe this is just another rung down the ladder for Pentax Camera's - hopefully I'm wrong for you faithful.
Well i think we'd all be happier if Canon or Nikon purchased Pentax and displayed Pentax product alongside their own. But that isn't going to happen

My point is that Ricoh has a successful world class copier manufacturing and distribution network around the world - And that didn't exist before they developed it

Ricoh at least wants to be in the camera retail market which apparently was a desire that Hoya didn't have.

But i forget, this is the season of the sky falling.
07-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #37

That's a good idea, a successor to the K200D

07-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think after this buyout.. Ricoh is going to make everyone call the K-mount.. the Ricoh mount as opposed to the Pentax mount...

I read somewhere in the agreement both Hoya and Ricoh are committed to improving the value of the Pentax brand...

I think Ricoh has been working on this since their own dslr fell off the edge of the flat world. They've been plotting and planning... ever since they adopted the k-mount for their cameras, they've secretly coveted the whole enchilada.

They are now sitting in their war room, with evil grins on their faces... "finally we are a respectable camera company".
07-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Ricoh was a respectable camera company decades before you ever heard of them.
07-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I looked into this and for the 5 biggest internetshops only one has some limited stock for a few items. So it is not running anywhere at the time.
BH, Adorama, Amazon, all have Ricoh gear. For me it is like getting Pentax gear in Florida.
07-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I have a wait and see attitude. It may be selfish of me, but I just want them to keep pumping out awesome K-Mount lenses.
From what I have read it seems like mirrorless is what is going to be the wave of the immediate future. But that seems a little contradictory from what Pentax is all about, a serious enthusiast brand, not a step up from point-and-shoot. And that is what the GXR and Q systems are, half a step up from P&S. I think Pentax/Ricoh are in serious danger of alienating their loyal fan base.
07-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Does Ricoh have Medium Format Camera DSLR? I don't know about Ricoh's Camera DSLR.
07-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
Does Ricoh have Medium Format Camera DSLR? I don't know about Ricoh's Camera DSLR.
At the curent moment, they only have the GXR which looks like a mirrorless system.
07-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
Does Ricoh have Medium Format Camera DSLR?
They do now.

The 645D technology is one of Ricoh's stated reasons for buying Pentax. Where they take it is an open question. Maybe an actual 56x42mm sensor, not the 44x33mm now aboard the 645D. Maybe an MF sensor on a GXR module -- MF MILC! I don't think Ricoh had any MF history. Well, they've bought the expertise and history. At one time, Pentax ruled the 135 SLR world; and later, the MF SLR world. Ricoh maybe has the resources for world conquest, eh?
07-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #45
Veteran Member

MF is great and all, but it is such a miniscule market that whether or not they rule the MF domain is almost irrelevant.