Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ok, Now That Ricoh Ownes Pentax !!!

HOW ABOUT TETHERING :- )

And while I'm at it, how about an articulating screen on your next high end DSLR.

Also ...... a 400mm to 500mm F4 - 5.6 Lens would be nice !!!!

The King is dead, long live the King : - )

wll

07-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #2

Is this official that Ricoh has taken Pentax??
07-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

"The acquisition is scheduled to be executed on October 1, 2011."

Last edited by .a.t.; 07-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.
07-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
"The acquisition is scheduled to be executed on October 1, 2011."
OK, that's your purchasing deadline. Get all your Ltd's before then. Afterwards, it just interchangeable lens-shutter-sensor modules. And sticking pins.

07-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
OK, that's your purchasing deadline. Get all your Ltd's before then. Afterwards, it just interchangeable lens-shutter-sensor modules. And sticking pins.
Yeah, Ricoh was getting too many complaints - people couldn't get Ricoh lenses off Pentax cameras, so they went and bought the company. Now your Pentax DSLR with a RIcoh lens is totally official.
07-01-2011, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Yeah, Ricoh was getting too many complaints - people couldn't get Ricoh lenses off Pentax cameras, so they went and bought the company. Now your Pentax DSLR with a RIcoh lens is totally official.
Does this mean I have to put the Ricoh pin back on my lens? Now where did I put that little thing?
07-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Does this mean I have to put the Ricoh pin back on my lens? Now where did I put that little thing?
PK-R mount lens prices just doubled in value!
Suddenly all listings for older Vivitar and Sears lenses have been removed from The Marketplace. It is only a matter of time before Craigslist and pawnshops catch up.

07-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

One thing that Hoya/Pentax did really poorly was their communication, mostly the lack of, with their customers. And responsiveness to requests on this forum, yeah, they have to be reading some of this stuff.

Despite all that they came out with an amazing camera, the K5. I would be delighted if they just maintained the existing model for the next cycle, and gave it a letter suffix like K5s when they fix some of the weak areas, like

a. Fix some of the flash weaknesses like the wedding photographers want, e.g. why 1/180 limitation instead of what Nikon is using, overexposure problems on bounce although mine seems to underexpose on bounce :-), come out with new flash equipment to replace the old stuff, the 360 is so ancient it doesn't rotate, put auto controls on the new flashes in case some customers want to see the eyes open . (i'm not a wedding photographer, just tired of hearing the complaints )

b. use smaller autofocus sensors, the existing wide ones aren't very selective in the wide area they focus on.

c. Come out with new models of SDM for the DA 17-50 and the 50-135.

Thats my idea, don't come out with brand new camera bodies with a whole new set of problems, just fix some of the cracks in the system and a lot of folks like me will be delighted - i think .
07-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

With Ricoh in control, maybe we will see a radical new approach in Pentax DSLRs, like this prototype process from AMP:

07-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
One thing that Hoya/Pentax did really poorly was their communication, mostly the lack of, with their customers. And responsiveness to requests on this forum, yeah, they have to be reading some of this stuff.

Despite all that they came out with an amazing camera, the K5. I would be delighted if they just maintained the existing model for the next cycle, and gave it a letter suffix like K5s when they fix some of the weak areas, like

a. Fix some of the flash weaknesses like the wedding photographers want, e.g. why 1/180 limitation instead of what Nikon is using, overexposure problems on bounce although mine seems to underexpose on bounce :-), come out with new flash equipment to replace the old stuff, the 360 is so ancient it doesn't rotate, put auto controls on the new flashes in case some customers want to see the eyes open . (i'm not a wedding photographer, just tired of hearing the complaints )

b. use smaller autofocus sensors, the existing wide ones aren't very selective in the wide area they focus on.

c. Come out with new models of SDM for the DA 17-50 and the 50-135.

Thats my idea, don't come out with brand new camera bodies with a whole new set of problems, just fix some of the cracks in the system and a lot of folks like me will be delighted - i think .
Too bad Ricoh has been missing-in-action in the slr world since the late 80s. Exactly what is it they will show Pentax? How to make a medium format dSLR or a dSLR? Or how to take recognizable slr brand and make it go extinct.

Hopefully, they will help with pr and marketing and stay out of the optical designs. Really though, what current products comes to mind for most people when the here Ricoh name without having to google for 2 hours.
07-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Really though, what current products comes to mind for most people when the here Ricoh name without having to google for 2 hours.
I think... a copier. But I don't remember seeing any lately. Didin't Ricoh buy Pentax because their office-machine business business is slumping? I'll have to stop into an OfficeMax tomorrow and look for Ricoh hardware. They sure won't have Ricoh (nor Pentax) cameras, just the usual suspects.
07-02-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
With Ricoh in control, maybe we will see a radical new approach in Pentax DSLRs, like this prototype process from AMP:

Very interesting indeed, looks a little bit artificial at times but the concept is great.

I'm much more interested in something like this for TV and movies than 3D
07-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm much more positive about Ricoh than Hoya ownership

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Too bad Ricoh has been missing-in-action in the slr world since the late 80s. Exactly what is it they will show Pentax?

Hopefully, they will help with pr and marketing and stay out of the optical designs. .
Financial Highlights / Investor Relations | About Ricoh | Ricoh Global

Ricoh has run into the same global recession that the rest of the world has. But they've hung in there, paid a dividend to investors every year, and 2010 showed a 2.9% return on investment which was better than 2009 when they showed a 0.6% return on investment.

About Ricoh Americas Corporation

One big benefit to Ricoh is their sales network. I searched for Direct Sales (business services - ok) and found 6 sites within Washington State, one just 3 miles from me. I realize that business sales are not consumer sales, but still, if Ricoh chose to display their dslrs in their business sales offices, it might do a lot for Pentax dslr sales.

Ricoh is truly a global company in its networks, sales and service. They have about a 1/2 billion yen in sales to USA, 1/2 billion to Europe, 8 plus billion in Japan, and 1.2 billion yen sales in many other countries combined.

So what Ricoh offers Pentax is a global network. They are out there selling printers and business solutions around the world and have survived the recession. Why are they buying Pentax now? I think its because you find bargains at the bottom of the recession. Hoya paid 1 billion for Pentax and sold the non-medical camera portion of Pentax to Ricoh for 124 million. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Second thing that Ricoh offers Pentax, is that because Ricoh already manufactures compact cameras, and manufactures a lot of printers, there is a synergy between the electronic/programming technology that Ricoh works with and Pentax needs for its cameras. That synergy and depth was not there in the Hoya relationship. Also note that Pentax is still within the Japanese industry "family" so there is a loyalty there to Pentax.

I've looked at the compact cameras on Ricoh's US website, and the GRX with its replaceable sensor/lens technology indicates commendable innovation.

Thats my positive thinking case for Ricoh-Pentax and after my morning's research, i feel good about sticking with Pentax. Besides, i really really like my K5
07-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Do you think maybe Ricoh will install as head of Pentax USA someone who doesn't wax poetic about his Leica?
07-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Financial Highlights / Investor Relations | About Ricoh | Ricoh Global

Ricoh has run into the same global recession that the rest of the world has. But they've hung in there, paid a dividend to investors every year, and 2010 showed a 2.9% return on investment which was better than 2009 when they showed a 0.6% return on investment.

About Ricoh Americas Corporation

One big benefit to Ricoh is their sales network. I searched for Direct Sales (business services - ok) and found 6 sites within Washington State, one just 3 miles from me. I realize that business sales are not consumer sales, but still, if Ricoh chose to display their dslrs in their business sales offices, it might do a lot for Pentax dslr sales.

Ricoh is truly a global company in its networks, sales and service. They have about a 1/2 billion yen in sales to USA, 1/2 billion to Europe, 8 plus billion in Japan, and 1.2 billion yen sales in many other countries combined.

So what Ricoh offers Pentax is a global network. They are out there selling printers and business solutions around the world and have survived the recession. Why are they buying Pentax now? I think its because you find bargains at the bottom of the recession. Hoya paid 1 billion for Pentax and sold the non-medical camera portion of Pentax to Ricoh for 124 million. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Second thing that Ricoh offers Pentax, is that because Ricoh already manufactures compact cameras, and manufactures a lot of printers, there is a synergy between the electronic/programming technology that Ricoh works with and Pentax needs for its cameras. That synergy and depth was not there in the Hoya relationship. Also note that Pentax is still within the Japanese industry "family" so there is a loyalty there to Pentax.

I've looked at the compact cameras on Ricoh's US website, and the GRX with its replaceable sensor/lens technology indicates commendable innovation.

Thats my positive thinking case for Ricoh-Pentax and after my morning's research, i feel good about sticking with Pentax. Besides, i really really like my K5
What I said had nothing to do with whether or not folks like their K-5. As far as sticking with Pentax, look at my avatar, I still have that thing and use it although film is dwindling in my freezer. I am not going to switch dSLR mounts to stick with the "NewCo" is my point.