Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

broken viewfinder/eye piece glass

I picked up my K10D to snap a picture at our picnic yesterday and found out that the veiwfinder/eye piece glass is shattered. I can still take pictures. Any suggestions on if and where I can order a replacement piece? Is it to hard to repair on my own? Thanks

07-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The eyepiece assembly can be purchased from Pentax and should not be expensive. The whole camera top has to come off . It's not difficult but I will let you search for the procedure.
07-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the help
07-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Here is a link to the K10D service manual. It tells all you need to know to remove the bottom cover, back cover then top cover. You don't have to solider any wires. Use super glue to put the rubber grip back in place. Use a high quality number 0 small (for taking apart electronics) philips to remove the screws.

Do not blow any air into it while apart. Take it apart in a very clean well lit place where you can take your time. The manual has enough pics for reference so you don't have to take any. Do note there are two types of small screws. Some go into the polycarbonate and are course thread, some go into the stainless steel frame and are fine thread do keep note of this.

Overall its an easy job and the parts are much cheaper than you can believe. At least parts were cheap at Pentax USA according to many posts and some parts I have bought (rear LCD cover and pre-shaped two way tape).

Downloads

07-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I picked up my K10D to snap a picture at our picnic yesterday and found out that the veiwfinder/eye piece glass is shattered
Uhhh? There is a step missing here.
HOW did the viewfinder lens get shattered?
If someone knocked it off the picnic table there may be a lot more wrong with it than the viewfinder issue.
It would seem to me that to shatter the viewfinder would require quite a jolt.
07-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Uhhh? There is a step missing here.
HOW did the viewfinder lens get shattered?
If someone knocked it off the picnic table there may be a lot more wrong with it than the viewfinder issue.
It would seem to me that to shatter the viewfinder would require quite a jolt.
Well I will assume the OP has tested their camera and its working fine. Just use the camera and find out I hope is what they did.

The K10D was designed to take a hit. Now its all in the hands of the camera Gods as to the damage. If this is the only obvious damage after testing there is little cost to do the job.
07-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
wish I had an answer as to how it happened. Left it on the bench in the hall, next day broken viewfinder. Everything else seems to work just fine. Called pentax and they said I can't buythe piece there is no way it's jsut that outside part. I'm waiting for the part department to call me back and see what they say.

07-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by docspidey Quote
wish I had an answer as to how it happened. Left it on the bench in the hall, next day broken viewfinder. Everything else seems to work just fine. Called pentax and they said I can't buythe piece there is no way it's just that outside part. I'm waiting for the part department to call me back and see what they say.
Well take it apart and find out. There is no way they know what broke. That is if you have nothing to lose and if I understand you correct.

I don't see why a repair person would need to replace more than just that piece. Do you have the manual and can see what it is I am talking about?
07-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #9

i'm in the same boat at the moment, except it's with a K20D, and i do know exactly how it happened.

i did email pentax but never got a reply. i really don't feel like sending the camera away though, and will probably just buy a new one (probably a K-7 body) in the next couple weeks, unless i can find the parts for it.

for me, the glass is shattered, and the rubber and plastic around it are wrecked.

is pentax the only place to purchase the replacement parts, if that is even possible?
07-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been wondering about this too. MY K-x viewfinder is trashed, I screwed it up trying to buff out scratches gotten by cleaning after use in dusty environments. Stupid to use a plastic viewfinder.

Called Pentax, they said they couldn't (no, wouldn't) tell me how to open it up and replace it myself, parts dept never called me back to tell me if I could order one, all I got was "Send it in". I'd rather do it myself. I've rebuilt guns and fishing reels my entire life, binoculars and optical instruments for the Navy, computers, guitars and amps, car engines, lawnmowers, just about everything I've ever wanted to fix I've been able to do it. I have the patience and tools to deal with small parts and intricate assemblies, I just need the part and some info on how to disassemble and reassemble. Pentax was no help at all.

I'm not even sure if I can get a viewfinder, for now I'm using it still but can barely see at all, I have to rely more on the autofocus confirmation beep, which fortunately is pretty accurate, than the actual view.

I'd really like to find a source for a viewfinder and some info on how to take this thing apart, and I'd like even more to see Pentax start using glass viewfinders again. My old 35mm KX and ME Supers all are still scratch free after 30 years in the exact same environments. All have glass viewfinders. 6 months and the K-x was scratched beyond usability. Plastic is an open invitation to scratched viewfinders.

I guess right now it's a moot point, I can't put $5 in the gas tank much less send my camera in for repairs...it will have to wait a while.
07-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

FWIW the K10D and K20D use glass viewfinders.
07-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Didn't know that, I've never used either, this K-x is my first DSLR. I even thought about swapping it with a glass one out of a broken ME Super but they are made totally different, no way it would interchange. I can understand trying to cut manufacturing costs, but switching to plastic viewfinders was a very bad idea. I wouldn't mind paying $5-10 more for a quality camera...
07-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a part diagram of the K10D here.

According to this post, the part should be around $12.

Reaching Pentax parts might be a problem, since I could not find a phone number.
07-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I would suggest sending it to Eric for a professional repair with a guarantee.
07-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I had to replace my K-x viewfinder last week due to some scratches. The process is pretty easy and you can find replacement viewfinder on ebay (I got mine for about 20 dollars shipped). All I used was clean tweezer. There are guides you can follow to remove the clip: Focusing Screen Installation Guides - KatzEye Optics.

It took about 2 mins to replace, but be sure to do it quickly to avoid any dust to get in. And a side note, if you did get a tiny dust particles in there, just leave it. trying to clean it again will usually cause more dust to enter the body.