Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Question about printing and image quality.

I took my K10d out for the first time yesterday. I took many pictures some turning out good but my question is where to print. I printed them at Walgreens. To me the image quality of the print is not even in the same league of 35mm print. I'm thinking walgreens is not the right place to print in the first place? My files were converted to tiffs and jpegs at 240 dpi. I shot raw dng. Just looking for any tips on printing? I want my prints to look a lot better than my 5 megapixel point and shoot. I will post some photos in a bit.

11-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, Walmart could be the problem but lets see a few shots before we cast judgement on them. I am sure we can help figure this out.
11-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome triplej, nice to see another Missourian in here !! Not sure about printing either, and I have never taken any of my images anywhere to have them printed. Wish i could help !! Although, you might look into Creve Coeur Camera. I know they offer printing services, and if I remember correctly, there is one in your neck of the woods.
11-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm trying to upload some photos and my I keep getting a script error when I click on insert imgae icon?

thanks for the welcome guys. Yep, I think I'm going to go to wolf camera later and try some prints. I can post photos on other forums?

Last edited by triplej96; 11-18-2007 at 12:46 PM.
11-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Came across the same problem yesterday. Use the attach function instead (paperclip button)
11-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Both not working for me?
11-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Was working earlier - i used it.
Just tried it now (without bothering to upload a file), seems to be working.
You should get a popup window, from where you can browse for your image.

11-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
My popup window has some sort of script error strange. I think I found the printing problem out. Walgreens puts a glossy finish on all of the digital prints not a matte finish(I like the matte look).
11-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Some help choosing

I found this the other day. This may help you choose where to print.
Digital Photo Printing Review 2007
11-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The printer is everything, but just as important is the quality of the paper...
I have a true Epson photo printer that uses 6 different ink cartridges....I print photos all the time and there are certain things that are a must...240dpi res min is one...Also make sure your monitor is properly calibrated so you know what your printing...
11-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
[IMG][/IMG]

Seems to be working on this computer .
11-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
I found this the other day. This may help you choose where to print.
Digital Photo Printing Review 2007
Hmmm. I'm a little skeptical of those reviews because a) they didn't really send in enough different pictures to make a really thorough comparison (and over time to see if results vary) and b) the top three sites listed are all actually Snapfish -- in 2nd place, Snapfish itself, and then the other two sites (York Photo and Clark Photo) are clearly members of the Snapfish affiliate program (which means, different-colored front-ends but Snapfish actually does the printing).

This second point is really easy to discover, first because the sites all share the same basic design, but second because if you right-click on an image on one of the sites (any of the graphics used in the page layout) and look where it's coming from, you'll see that it loads from static.snapfish.com. They're not really trying to hide it -- which is fine from the site's point of view, but shows that the reviewers didn't use their powers of observation where it counts.

It's also worth noting that all of the photos from these three places had the same yellow color cast, although apparently the reviewers found that a good thing.

I'm not saying Snapfish is necessarily bad, nor anything bad about these two affiliates. Just, y'know, maybe some further research is warranted.