Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does anybody know?

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know if Ricoh/Pentax will continue to buy its cmos sensors from Sony which Hoya/Pentax managed to get more dynamic range from (K-x, K-r, K-5) as opposed to Samsung which they seemed to obtain less dynamic range from (K-7) or does whatever deal that Hoya made was aquired by Ricoh in the acquisition of Pentax?

07-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is known is that Ricoh actually cares about the development of Pentax's imaging division (which Hoya didn't), so we should see positive developments going forward, whatever they may be.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In other words: Ricoh hasn't revealed their supplier network yet. Since Ricoh's purchase statement emphasizes improvements in imaging systems, we can expect the best, eh? Exactly *which* best, we must wait to learn.
07-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jusfun21 Quote
Hello everyone,
Does anyone know if Ricoh/Pentax will continue to buy its cmos sensors from Sony which Hoya/Pentax managed to get more dynamic range from (K-x, K-r, K-5) as opposed to Samsung which they seemed to obtain less dynamic range from (K-7) or does whatever deal that Hoya made was aquired by Ricoh in the acquisition of Pentax?
Does anyone know how Fujifilm's new sensor in the X100 stacks up against the K-5's Sony sensor in terms of DR, high ISO etc? X100 users rave about it, but it is only 12 MP.

Rob

07-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Does anyone know how Fujifilm's new sensor in the X100 stacks up against the K-5's Sony sensor in terms of DR, high ISO etc? X100 users rave about it, but it is only 12 MP.

Rob
Better than the D90 but not quite as good as the D7000 or K-5.
From DXO Labs
It remains to be seen if the X100’s sensor performance can help it overcome other negative points in categories such as: video function, fixed v. interchangeable lenses, and overall speed.
On a side note let us not forget that no matter how good the X100 might be, the latest generation of Sony 16 Mpx sensors that powers models such as the K5, the Alpha 580, and the D7000 is still far better; especially where dynamic range is concerned. On the other hand, these models are still far more expensive.
07-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote

Rob
I don't know, but given Fuji's financial status, it wouldn't surprise me to see them to try to market sensors. Fuji and Sony both haven't been in the best financial shape.
07-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ricoh has used Sony sensors in some cameras, so I think it's likely to continue. I don't have time to find the references right now, you'll have to Google.

07-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think it is safe to say that Ricoh will use the best sensor that is financially practical. I have no idea what Ricoh currently uses. They have never produce a product that was interesting enough to investigate. If Samsung produces a sensor that is better than what Sony is offering and priced competitively then I hope Pentax will use the Samsung sensor.

The Sony sensors at the heart of the K-5 and K-r are the big reasons these cameras are a success.

Personally I was hoping that Fuji and Pentax would merge. Fuji has no DSLR and has a lot of really good technology that could benefit Pentax. Fuji's mirror-less technology is very attractive and they are already a M4/3 member.