Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Synchronizing clocks in multiple bodies?

I recently used both my K10D and K20D to photograph an outdoor dog show two different lenses to cover multiple situations without having to change lenses. In post I discovered that the clock in the K20D was about 3 seconds ahead of the one in the K10D, meaning I had to fiddle a bit to get the aggregated images in correct order each time I switched from one camera to the other. A lesson learned! Then I got to wondering if there was any clever way to synchronize the clocks in multiple bodies... the only way I came up with is to set both bodies manually to the same time and hit the "Okay" button on both at the same time. This works if I'm trying to sync two bodies, but I run out of hands and fingers with three or more! Any suggestions?

Somewhat along the same line, does the new GPS module have the ability to set the camera time to GPS UTC? Then all I'd have to do is upgrade everything to K-5s!

07-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In theory Pentax could offer the ability to set the camera body's time off of a PC via the USB connection. That would just be another Tethering feature that would be nice to have. Note that you have the ability to sync your PC's clock with any number of atomic clocks available via the Internet.

07-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Note that you have the ability to sync your PC's clock with any number of atomic clocks available via the Internet.
When you have your PC or other device set to the exact atomic clock time set each camera separately exactly one minute apart.
e.g. Set camera 1 at 1:01; get ready and set camera 2 as 1:02 exactly as the time turns to 1:02, etc.
Actually they can be set at any time as long as you hit the OK button exactly as the time turns.
07-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Actually they can be set at any time as long as you hit the OK button exactly as the time turns.
Y'know, we live in a time when probably most people buying and using digital cameras also possess digital computers. Camera makers realize this, to the extent that a software disc is usually included in the package with every digital camera. Some camera makers may even skip the cost of a printed manual, and provide only the documentation that is on that disc. The camera is thus yet another computer peripheral device. And since updates are downloaded from internet sources, and images are often uploaded to net servers, the camera is yet another network device.

So why not treat the camera as a peripheral, and let it synchronize with whatever computer and/or network it's connected to? WHY NOT??? It's not like a lot of extra hard or soft warez are needed. Here is the procedure: Plug USB cable into camera and computer; select menu option SYNC TIME; push OK button; camera's embedded computer pings a time server and loads UTC data; camera translates that to display for the time zone selected by camera user. Easy-peasy.

Is this function included in ANY digital camera?

This is personal for me. On some journeys we carry a half-dozen digital cameras. Synchronizing them all is a pain. Re-synchronizing them whenever we cross time zones is even more of a pain. You might ask, "But Rico, why not just leave them all on UTC? Sync them manually once a month or something?" Why not, indeed. Throw off my year-month-day folder system, it would. Cut pictures away from local time, it would. Yet another PITA, it is. No no no. Let each camera re-sync its clock whenever it's connected to a computer. Provide a simple function to set time zone. Hmmm, does the new Pentax GPS module provide such clock updating?

Last edited by RioRico; 07-07-2011 at 04:54 AM.
07-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do any of the ones with builtin GPS sync from the GPS by default?
I'd be curious if thats an option with the new O-GPS1 ... you'd think so to ensure capture time matched the GPS time... no good for the K10/K20's tho obviously...
07-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Do any of the ones with builtin GPS sync from the GPS by default?
I'd be curious if thats an option with the new O-GPS1 ... you'd think so to ensure capture time matched the GPS time... no good for the K10/K20's tho obviously...
How about EyeFi? Can a camera's clock be synced via a wireless memory card? (Sorry, I know zilch about EyeFi other that its existence.)