Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
AA 2700mAh battery question

Hi Everyone,

Maybe this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything about it.

Are there any adverse effects when using 2700mAh AA recahargeable batteries versus 2000mAh rechargeables?

I have a K-5 with a genuine Pentax grip and I want to load up the grip with AA's. I am not sure that using the 2700mAh would hurt the electronics, but it would be interesting to know what other people have experienced.

07-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In no way will higher capacity batteries adversely affect your dslr. mAh is only the amount of charge the battery can hold, so you'll get approximately a third more shots off with the higher 2700s. The only downside is that usually higher capacity batteries sacrifice either the number of times you can recharge it or the discharge current it can sustain. Fortunately, all modern rechargeable batteries will easily sustain the current needed for dslrs. Just check up on the life cycle.
07-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Extra mAh (milli amp hours) won't damage anything. It will increase the number of photos you can take per charge.

P.S. Too much V (voltage) could cause damage but all AA batteries fall within a narrow range. If anything, some rechargeables provide too little voltage and can cause a device to shut off prematurely because it thinks the batteries are drained.
07-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use 2700mAh. There shouldn't be any reason why it would hurt your camera; voltage is voltage. All you would get is longer life, and... longer recharge time lol..

07-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Extra mah will not hurt the camera. However keep in mind that even thoough the battery saus 2700 mah it may not necessarily be 2700mah after recharging. Keep this in mind.
07-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What about 1.5v versus 1.2v?

Thanks for the replies.

So now I have noticed that some rechargeable NiMH AA's are 1.2v (eneloops, Powerex, etc.) and some are 1.5v (Duracell). I know that generic alkalines are usually 1.5v. I think that the specs for the NiMH Duracells are 2650 mAh and 1.5v. Given that no harm to the camera, should I just go for those?

Does anyone have an AA brand that they found out to be better than others in terms of voltage output to keep the camera from thinking that the batteries are dead?

Edit: You know what? Forget it. After doing more research I can see the there are many opinions on both sides of the spectrum for batteries. No need to waste anyone's time.

Last edited by lammie200; 07-06-2011 at 04:18 PM.
07-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only rechargeables that I know of that WILL harm your dSLR are the Nickel Zinc Rechargeable Batteries - AA 1.6 volt labeled NiZN. I believe that there is a warning against them in the Pentax camera manuals.

07-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The number (milliamp hours) is just a measure of how much power the battery can store. It's, theoretically, how many hours the battery can put out 1/1000 of an amp. Your camera will draw what it needs as it needs it.

The only downside of using 2700mAh batteries is that currently there are no longs storage batteries like Sanyo Enloops with that rating. With Enloops or equivalent you can store the batteries for longer and not have them self-discharge as fast. So, if you can use your batteries within a week or two then the higher rating will give you a longer lasting battery. If not, then the Enloops at 2000 mAh are better.
07-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Does anyone have an AA brand that they found out to be better than others in terms of voltage output to keep the camera from thinking that the batteries are dead?
I realize you wrote "Forget it" but I can't

I have an electronic Accordion that is very sensitive about the voltage level of the power supply. A set of 10 Sanyo Eneloop AA cells (1.2V, 2000 mAh) lasts about 3 evenings. A set of 10 Energizer AA cells (1.2V, 2500 mAh) lasts but 1 (1.5 if I'm lucky) evening.

I haven't been able to find any brand that lasts as long as Sanyo Eneloop.
07-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Thanks for the replies.

So now I have noticed that some rechargeable NiMH AA's are 1.2v (eneloops, Powerex, etc.) and some are 1.5v (Duracell). I know that generic alkalines are usually 1.5v. I think that the specs for the NiMH Duracells are 2650 mAh and 1.5v. Given that no harm to the camera, should I just go for those?

Edit: You know what? Forget it. After doing more research I can see the there are many opinions on both sides of the spectrum for batteries. No need to waste anyone's time.
There are no 1.5V NiMH batteries. Voltage is chemistry-limited to 1.4V fully charged. Not sure why Duracell says NiMH is 1.5V.