Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
View processed photos on camera display?

Not sure whether this has been here before. I remember reading a discussion about this topic, but I am not sure it was here on pentaxforums. I think it was not as the word "Canon" was involved.
Searching for the topic gives me pretty random results.

Anyways, I am looking for a way to view processed photos on my K7's display. When just copying the JPGs onto an SD card, the camera ignores them, regardless of the filename. I suppose I have to edit the file's header, but I am not sure what exactly and how.
Any ideas or experiences?

07-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've a K20D not a K7 but I just tried this: I shoot RAW only and develop in PentaxPhotoLab3. I just copied two developed JPGs onto the SD card and stuck it back in the camera. I shot one in landscape (horizontal), the other in portrait (vertical) orientation. I converted both to B&W. The camera read them both; but it but flashed the portrait (vertical) shot normally for a second, then rendered it as garbage. The landscape (horizontal) shot shows just fine.

Hmm, how about other-size shots? I just copied two JPGs from a 5mpx Sony P&S, both in 4:3 landscape mode. The original is named like DSC10000.JPG, the processed copy is named like DSC10000a.JPG (I append letters to filenames to indicate edit versions). The camera shows the original 2592x1944px image just fine, but doesn't show the renamed processed copy. So the K20D definitely wants to see files named like ABCDEFGH.JPG, the old CP/M 8+3 standard.

Try 8+3 filenames, eh? And only use landscape (horizontal) shots.
07-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I just checked with a JPG from a Canon camera named like IMG_1234.jpg and it did indeed display on my K7. No success with processed files, though. If I mimic the K7's filenaming, IMPG1234.jpg, I get an "This image cannot be displayed" error and otherwise it is completely ignored by the camera.
I guess this is Lightroom's fault which I suspect to mess around with the header.
But it is good to know that other images than the camera's own ones can be displayed at all.