Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Noise reduction question

While shooting RAW on the Pentax K5, does setting the high ISO noise reduction and the slow shutter speed noise reduction (in Rec. Mode 3 documented on page 98-99 in the camera manual) really reduce noise? Or are those settings relevant only while shooting JPEGs?

07-07-2011, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
it's relevant in RAW too.

i've rise the NR compared to the default setting, and it really make a good difference (with the K-x)
07-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Does the noise reduction performed by the camera superior to post processing using software like Lightroom 3.3?
07-07-2011, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are two different types of NR here. High ISO NR is the kind that is similar to what LR might do. It would not be applied to RAW. Becaise it is kind of a one-size-all setting, there is no way it will be as good for every image as LR can be, but of course, LR is only as good as your ability to work the controls.

Slow shutter speed NR os a totally different thing. It works by taking a second picture with shutter closed (but for the same length of time), right after the real picture, to see where the noise will be. This noise is then subtractd out from the original image. This applies to RAW as well.

07-08-2011, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
if i push the iso up to 1600-3200 the body does an excellent job, almost as good as LR with specific software. Beyond, whatever happened, i have to use a software to get more details in the specific parts i want.
If you decide to shoot RAW+ (RAW+Jpeg) it's very usefull. I get good Jpeg at 1600 and good enought 90% of the time at 3200.

But remember that with every software you can first withdraw any NR applied by the body (by playing with the sliders)
07-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys. All helpful responses.