Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

k10 sensor failure?

My K10 is up to 48,000+ pictures and it has started to dramatically under expose images. Pictures taken using the correct speed, f-stop and sensitivity are completely black. I have tested this against other DSLR's and it seems to be the sensor on my, beloved, K10.

Any ideas?

I can post up some images of this; would raw or jpeg be better?

07-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! That's a lot of shutter actuations. I'd say it would be a good excuse to move up to the K5. But if you are trying to get a little more life out of your K10D, increase the EV to overexpose one or two stops or maybe need more. If image quality is still acceptable, go with it a little longer.
07-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Don't think that the sensor would deteriorate with more shutter count, I do find that in general Pentax tend to expose-to-the-left (underexpose) to avoid clipping highlights with matrix metering. If you use central-weight or spot metering you would not have such issue. However, I do find that ETTL is a very good thing as more details can be recovered in PP.
07-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
I don't think your fully getting how bad the underexposure is, here are two images that highlight the issue.

This is an outside bar on the gulf coast(Tacky Jacks at Orange Beach, AL). It was late afternoon, the bar is lit mostly with reflected light from the east. There are buildings in the background that are in direct sunlight. This was taken using the metered settings; f2 1/500 iso100. Exif data is intact.

This is the same scene. Taken at F1.4 1/30 iso100.

Having said that this morning I took some shots and it is working again. This has happened to me before after I took an extended period of time lapsed images. This most recent event was preceded by some fireworks shots. Towards the end of taking the pics I could tell the sensor was getting less sensitive.

07-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #5

Did the camera light meter indicate 1/500 f/2 @ iso100?
You said this happens after long time laps exposures. The sensor will over heat but I would expect that it would cool down enough to continue use in a few minutes. Sense the camera eventually returned to normal, my guess it that it can no longer recover from over heating within a reasonable time.
07-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
Did the camera light meter indicate 1/500 f/2 @ iso100?
You said this happens after long time laps exposures. The sensor will over heat but I would expect that it would cool down enough to continue use in a few minutes. Sense the camera eventually returned to normal, my guess it that it can no longer recover from over heating within a reasonable time.
Yes, the camera meter indicated those settings. The long exposure images were taken several days before this. So temperature from that would not have been a factor.