Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: Where would you invest in?
Expand current APS-C lensline to complete the line. 8466.14%
Expand APS-C cameraline with new high end camera. 3527.56%
New top of the line APS-H (30x20mm) camera with some lenses. 129.45%
New top of the line Full Frame camera with some lenses. 4031.50%
Pentax is good on it's way with Q-mount, K-mount and 645-mount (evolution). 2015.75%
Expand GXR with a Full Frame K-mount. 1511.81%
New SLT with K-mount to replace mirrorslap. 129.45%
Expand GXR with a Q-mount module and lots of new lenses for Q. 43.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #31
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Possibly I misinterpreted some of the enthusiasm I thought I read here and elsewhere for the GXR? It seemed like some were suggesting it might be an alternative to high-end interchangeable lens systems.
Les, the poll is interesting. A ton of full frame interest and more pro level cameras.

The area that the poll doesn't explore much in hindsight, is exactly what do we recommend that Ricoh/Pentax do about the compact mirrorless camera niche. I'm not willing to give up my K5 anytime soon, but it would be fun to have a mirrorless, aps camera with a full K mount adapter on it that i could use prime lenses on.

If i could buy a SINGLE K-mount module (with aps sensor) with the GXR shell, that i could use my DA21, DA35, M100mm, A135 lenses with, for about $600-700; i would buy it tomorrow. Obviously, this K mount adapter would not be a sealed module adapter, so one would only need one adapter. I think several Pentax owners would be interested in such a setup as a second camera to their main one.

Plus, Ricoh would not have to stop with adapters for the Leica mount (which apparently is already planned) and the K mount, they could offer adapters for other mounts as well, if the license fees and size of market warranted it.

I'm not interested in the Pentax Q mount, but i was wrong before about the appeal of the multi colored Kx bodies, so i've been trying to keep my mouth shut


Last edited by philbaum; 07-10-2011 at 11:15 AM.
07-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I think I must have missed that option. Does it exist, or is it a wish list kind of thing? I only read about lens/sensor modules. It might be interesting indeed to have a sensor plus adapter that would accept all K-mount lenses.
Les,
This is the Leica M lens Ricoh mount press announcement dating from Feb 2011:

Recent Press Releases / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global

The K mount unit is a wish list item at the moment. But why would Ricoh not build one for their own House Brand (i.e. Pentax) if they can build one for Leica?
07-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #33
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,868
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Les,
This is the Leica M lens Ricoh mount press announcement dating from Feb 2011:

Recent Press Releases / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global

The K mount unit is a wish list item at the moment. But why would Ricoh not build one for their own House Brand (i.e. Pentax) if they can build one for Leica?
Very cool, thanks Phil.

Last edited by les3547; 07-10-2011 at 01:44 PM.
07-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #34
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,642
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The area that the poll doesn't explore much in hindsight, is exactly what do we recommend that Ricoh/Pentax do about the compact mirrorless camera niche. I'm not willing to give up my K5 anytime soon, but it would be fun to have a mirrorless, aps camera with a full K mount adapter on it that i could use prime lenses on.

If i could buy a SINGLE K-mount module (with aps sensor) with the GXR shell, that i could use my DA21, DA35, M100mm, A135 lenses with, for about $600-700; i would buy it tomorrow. Obviously, this K mount adapter would not be a sealed module adapter, so one would only need one adapter. I think several Pentax owners would be interested in such a setup as a second camera to their main one.
Well making a K-mount module with APS-C sensor for GXR would be a mirroless option. I wouldn't buy it since I have APS-C in my current K-5. So this gives me nothing new. I guess it would be attractive to some people and an addonn for GXR.

A Full Frame sensor module with K-mount would be very different and a new option. I think this would only come to market when Ricoh descide not to make a Full Frame camera for real as a DSLR anytime soon. Then we could use this module for some years, and that would be a great thing.

Not cheap, GXR camera (probably a new one, needs faster processing I guess), Full Frame K-mount module, all three FA primes (31, 43 and 77mm) and you would have some nice set to go with. At a big price if you don't own any of it at the time.

07-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #35
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 416
Building a ff camera with the best sensor on the market would be good for business.
Jake
07-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Building a ff camera with the best sensor on the market would be good for business.
The trick is to find the highest quality FF sensor (that isn't monopolized by CaNikon) at an affordable price, and building it into a body that surpasses CaNikon offerings at an affordable price. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
07-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #37
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The trick is to find the highest quality FF sensor (that isn't monopolized by CaNikon) at an affordable price, and building it into a body that surpasses CaNikon offerings at an affordable price. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
I think the body won't be a problem; both the K5 and 645D sport a class-competing if not leading design. As long as Ricoh keeps the same engineers around I doubt there would be any issue. The sensor is certainly tricky, the first company that comes to mind is Sony, but I wonder if Samsung has any FF sensor offerings?

Even after the camera is designed, in order for it to sell well, Pentax will need to develop the pro-level support of CaNikon. Ricoh could prove a valuable partner on that front.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, frame, gxr, high-end, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon Q system using 1/2.3" sensor too = Pentax Q system? ogl Pentax News and Rumors 31 07-14-2011 07:47 PM
Which would be a better choice for the K-r: DA 35 2.4 or A 50 1.7? Taobat Pentax K-r 18 05-25-2011 10:25 PM
Misc The Choice KarenH Post Your Photos! 19 11-15-2010 02:08 PM
MF choice icywarm Pentax Medium Format 5 05-24-2010 08:00 AM
final choice: system, camera, lens coloseu Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-17-2009 09:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top