Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Where would you invest in?
Expand current APS-C lensline to complete the line. 8466.14%
Expand APS-C cameraline with new high end camera. 3527.56%
New top of the line APS-H (30x20mm) camera with some lenses. 129.45%
New top of the line Full Frame camera with some lenses. 4031.50%
Pentax is good on it's way with Q-mount, K-mount and 645-mount (evolution). 2015.75%
Expand GXR with a Full Frame K-mount. 1511.81%
New SLT with K-mount to replace mirrorslap. 129.45%
Expand GXR with a Q-mount module and lots of new lenses for Q. 43.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh's system choice!

We all want different things, but even when Ricoh is willing to invest a small fortune into it's cameradivision (where Pentax is part off) to increase it's current combined marketshare and double it over the coming years then there will be still some choices to make.

To say something about the differences:
A GXR Full Frame module is offcourse in nothing to compare with a high-end Full frame camera. The GXR has a very modest camera electronic lay-out and is very small giving limited functions to such a camera. Still it will give the option to make pictures (stills only maybe) with a full frame sensor. At a very different pricetag offcourse.

The difference between evolution and a new top off the line APS-C camera is that such a new high-end camera would be positioned above K-5 and would be the PRO-camera for Pentax leaving nothing between that camera and 645D.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-09-2011 at 07:05 AM.
07-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My choices are APS-H and new lenses for APS-C.

I know Full Frame is what a lot of people would want, but I think that an APS-H camera would bring many options together. More of our current lenses can be used and more older lenses will perform good on that bigger sensor. With big pixels, a little more then 16 megapixel is good, the image quality would be tremendoes. Think of the current K-5 pixels that are 4,75 micron big and go to 6 micron pixels. That means 60 % larger pixels giving noise free images up to iso 3200! Who knows even more dynamic range at base iso, or keeping up IQ to higher iso-settings. And that all in a much smaller package then a full frame camera would be, since the sensormodule with SR-system would be much smaller.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-09-2011 at 06:45 AM.
07-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
Forum Member

1)Full frame, direct competitor/equivilant with 5DMkII, is what I hope from Pentax, no point going high end competiting with 1Ds when there is 645D.

2)mirrorless or with mirror with body ME, MX alike in K-Mount. APS-C or whatever sensor.

If they come out these 2 camera. I WILL BUY THEM BOTH (together with my coming soon K-5 and old K-x and ME SE)
07-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think everyone's concern now is our lenses and whether the K mount will be supported in the future. The Pentax lineup isn't too bad. A few new lenses to fill the gaps. It remains to be seen what will happen with the Q setup as they really aren't available yet. I like the direction Pentax has taken. They have steadily improved and upgraded. Full frame is an issue with some, it isn't for me. I kind of like the direction they have take with smaller bodies (K7,K5) and the aps-c sensor. Just keep upgrading and improving and hopefully, some better marketing in the US and they should be fine. I'll add that I was seriously considering upgrading to the K5 in the near future but am going to hold off a while to wait and see what develops.

07-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
My choices are APS-H and new lenses for APS-C.

I know Full Frame is what a lot of people would want, but I think that an APS-H camera would bring many options together. More of our current lenses can be used and more older lenses will perform good on that bigger sensor. With big pixels, a little more then 16 megapixel is good, the image quality would be tremendoes. Think of the current K-5 pixels that are 4,75 micron big and go to 6 micron pixels. That means 60 % larger pixels giving noise free images up to iso 3200! Who knows even more dynamic range at base iso, or keeping up IQ to higher iso-settings. And that all in a much smaller package then a full frame camera would be, since the sensormodule with SR-system would be much smaller.
I hadn't considered APS-H as an option, but I think you're on to something. That could be considerably cheaper for Ricoh and it's customers to invest in (given many DA lenses would be APS-H ready). I agree that it'd be nice to see the number of MP stay close to the K5 with a massive sensitivity improvement. Ricoh could push the product as a low-light / high DR pro camera, which I could see generating a lot of interest (and sales).

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 07-09-2011 at 08:05 AM.
07-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I hadn't considered APS-H as an option, but I think you're on to something. That would be considerably cheaper for Ricoh and it's customers to invest in. I agree that it'd be nice to see the number of MP stay close to the K5 with a massive sensitivity improvement. Ricoh could push the product as a low-light / high DR pro camera, which I could see generating a lot of interest (and sales).

A bigger sensor doesn't have to be 24x36 just because 135 film was as long as we can get a bigger sensor. Maybe use something a little bigger than H so Canoneers won't start claiming Pentax is following what they did 10 years ago.

Last edited by Blue; 07-09-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo
07-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It doesn't a bigger sensor doesn't have to be 24x36 just because 135 film was as long as we can get a bigger sensor. Maybe use something a little bigger than H so Canoneers won't start claiming Pentax is following what they did 10 years ago.
Sure, good point.

Of course all of this is moot without a sensor manufacturer (other than Canon) actually developing such a sensor.
07-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If it isn't broke - don't fix it, goes the cliche.

With all this talk of mirrorless cameras, the situation is that the K5 level of APS offers a lot. the mirrorless camera mfr will have to offer a convincing alternative before the herd will abandon APS.

The Fuji x100 is a neat compact camera when a photographer from a co-op gallery showed me his the other day. But no replaceable lenses.

So i voted for the Ricoh's novel GXR and maintaining the K5 lineup. A mix of new and old - may the best camera win

It will be interesting to see what Nikon does with its new models. The Nikon D400 will probably be designed to be the K5 killer, but the price is likely to be high. D700 replacement higher cost yet, and the D3 higher yet. One needs sufficient volume sales to pay the development cost for any of these models - i really wonder if there will be sufficient consumer demand to maintain some of these models. The D700 seems to have sold well judging by posts and the 2 photo club members i know who have 1. Don't know of anyone with the D3.

Last edited by philbaum; 07-09-2011 at 08:34 AM.
07-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
If it isn't broke - don't fix it, goes the cliche.

With all this talk of mirrorless cameras, the situation is that the K5 level of APS offers a lot. the mirrorless camera mfr will have to offer a convincing alternative before the herd will abandon APS.

The Fuji x100 is a neat compact camera when a photographer from a co-op gallery showed me his the other day. But no replaceable lenses.

So i voted for the Ricoh's novel GXR and maintaining the K5 lineup. A mix of new and old - may the best camera win

It will be interesting to see what Nikon does with its new models. The Nikon D400 will probably be designed to be the K5 killer, but the price is likely to be high. D700 replacement higher cost yet, and the D3 higher yet. One needs sufficient volume sales to pay the development cost for any of these models - i really wonder if there will be sufficient consumer demand to maintain some of these models. The D700 seems to have sold well judging by posts and the 2 photo club members i know who have 1. Don't know of anyone with the D3.
Which APS? Don't forget while Pentax has kept the aps-c format since the *istD, the sensors have changed many times so slipping a aps-h sized sensor in there isn't fixing what "ain't" broke.
07-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The more I think about it, the more I want an OLD SLR style body. Something like the slr version of the X100 or the leica M series. Built like a tank, hopefully with a FF sensor. Now THAT would be something truly different (completely differentiate from canikon) and worthwhile.

but since that wasn't an option I chose 1 and 4
07-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
The more I think about it, the more I want an OLD SLR style body. Something like the slr version of the X100 or the leica M series. Built like a tank, hopefully with a FF sensor.
Well since we can expect only one Full Frame camera, and that will be the top of the line in K-mount, there is no statement in the poll about how it should look like.

Unless you want a camera with Full Frame sensor that doesn't run K-mount and current lensline?
07-09-2011, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well since we can expect only one Full Frame camera, and that will be the top of the line in K-mount, there is no statement in the poll about how it should look like.

Unless you want a camera with Full Frame sensor that doesn't run K-mount and current lensline?
right, but I think we all have a preconceived notion of how it will supposedly look (assuming it even will exist)...... like a smaller 5dmkII or D700. I think Pentax needs to be *more* different. A 5d lookalike/performalike is not something that will be truly beneficial to pentax. They need something that performs similarly but is yet still entirely different. I know certainly a lot of pentaxians on here would be unhappy with this decision wanting a more traditional camera but so it goes. The traditional choice has always been Nikon and Canon anyways.... why strive to meet and/or beat what they have out? We cant take them head on.... thus you create something similar enough to be familiar but different enough for there to be... well a difference. Something recognizable. Something PENTAX

edit: Of course keep the K mount. Lets not be drastic
07-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
right, but I think we all have a preconceived notion of how it will supposedly look (assuming it even will exist)...... like a smaller 5dmkII or D700. I think Pentax needs to be *more* different. A 5d lookalike/performalike is not something that will be truly beneficial to pentax. They need something that performs similarly but is yet still entirely different. I know certainly a lot of pentaxians on here would be unhappy with this decision wanting a more traditional camera but so it goes. The traditional choice has always been Nikon and Canon anyways.... why strive to meet and/or beat what they have out? We cant take them head on.... thus you create something similar enough to be familiar but different enough for there to be... well a difference. Something recognizable. Something PENTAX

edit: Of course keep the K mount. Lets not be drastic
Well to give your idea some thoughts. What if this new Full frame camera is something like you discribe. Then having a currently K-mount with large flans-distance is more of a pain then a blessing. So what if this new camera is a mirrorless camera with a new mount (that with an adapter can run and support all current K-mount lenses -> that is only a glassless tube with support for screwdrive, SDM and all contacts). So in this way you can cut off 2 cm of the camerafront and put some new smaller lenses on it. Having a big pool off old lenses to support the system. Clearly this is not a sportscamera then.

For new top of the line APS-C and APS-H camera there would be a more in line with current camera's design be done I think.
07-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
Forum Member

A long macro-lens would be nice: 150mm or more

Cheers - Klaus
07-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Klaus Quote
A long macro-lens would be nice: 150mm or more

Cheers - Klaus
A D FA 200/4 WR macro based on the FA* 200/4 macro would work just fine, kind of like they did by updating the D FA 100 to the D FA 100 WR.