Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Automatic Sensor Cleaning in k100d Super and k10d

Is the automatic Sensor Cleaning in k100d Super and k10d a gimmick or useful?

See: Review: Dust removal systems / sensor cleaning - Pixinfo.com

Does this feature really work?

11-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It works for some people, but not for others

In my personal opinion it probably depends upon what type of dust your dealing with.
It's made up of different particles pretty much anywhere you go.
11-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #3

Well, as people say, Pentax's system is much less effective then Olympuse's one. Due to slow shaking of the matrix, only rather heave dist pieces can be removed
11-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
Is the automatic Sensor Cleaning in k100d Super and k10d a gimmick or useful?

See: Review: Dust removal systems / sensor cleaning - Pixinfo.com

Does this feature really work?
Bluntly, I consider the PixInfo methodology to be absolutely dismal.

The testing should match reality and few of us would EVER let that much dust enter our camera and also what was the dust used to artificially increase the density - not mentioned as far as I can see.

Why am I so negative about this testing?

It is simple really. I have a K10D which is on its second round of picture numbers and up to abput 13500 exposures so far. I have 5 lenses which I change as and when needed with only reasonable care (don't leave the camera open pointing up and keep rear caps on lenses till actual change) and the only thing I seriously watch out for is that I won't be bumped and drop a lens.

I regularly blow out the mirror box and the rear of lenses if I am changing a lens at home but otherwise I just take care as outlined.

I had some dirt early in my usage but that was easily removed with a blower setup and I had to very lightly brush (ultra cleaned synthetic artists brush) the sensor to remove 2 adherent specks. Since then I have not had to clean the sensor in any way other than the occasional air blasting and using the dust shaker ALL the time.

So long as you are not getting sticky diesel engine soot or some industrial dusts I believe, from my experience, that the system is quite effective so long as particles are not given significant time to adhere to the sensor. As I try to remember to switch off when changing lenses (see manual for justification ) any dust that gets in at the change is shaken immediately and I believe this is part of MY success with the system.

Rod

Last edited by RodConn; 11-20-2007 at 11:28 PM.