Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

My new Pentax K10D

As I have posted in another thread, I just won a Pentax K-10D in Ebay UK for 270 GBP! The camera is like new - only 700 images! I am so excited to use it!
As I understand there is a learning curve with the Pentax K10D and in order to get the best results one should change the default settings.
I would be happy to have any advices and recommendations as to -
1.ACR Lightroom camera presets for K10D.
2.Advices about Jpeg settings.
Thanks!

07-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the camera. I just bought one myself about a month ago and love it. I am sorry, but I don't use presets in Lightroom... and I shoot RAW.

I also shoot mostly in Manual mode, and I have found that with most of my lenses (albeit, most of my glass is 20 years old) I boost the EV to +1.0. Out of the box, the camera did a little lack luster shooting, but that most likely is me.

I love Lightroom for this camera as it allows me to tether it to my laptop.
07-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love my K10D and haven't really seen any reason to upgrade as it meets most of my needs. It is a fine camera.

I shoot JPEG only and mostly in manual or aperture-priority. I have all the sliders for contrast, sharpness, etc. right in the middle. I don't see a reason to adjust those- my photos don't lack contrast and they are sharp. The only image adjustment I've made is changing the colors to vivid instead of normal in the menu.

Other minor settings I've changed include allowing the use of aperture rings on lenses and 1/3 ev adjustments instead of 1/2. There's a few other smaller things I've adjusted, but mostly they're for my shooting preference, for example battery grip settings, but other than that you should enjoy your new camera. Go to Pentax's website and download the manual and familiarize yourself with it while you're waiting for shipment.
07-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll have a lot of fun with the K10D. I absolutely love mine and still keep it as my back-up body. I don't use lightroom either so I can't offer you any advice towards presets for that but the best advice I give for jpeg settings is to shoot in RAW. I shoot RAW 100% of the time and it saves you a lot of guess work later on.

Enjoy your new camera and have fun taking pictures!

07-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You may want to read Robert Donovan's blog for how he set LR to perform some changes on import. The settings he's used get a little closer to the vivid curve in-camera so that you can tweak individual pictures more consistently. I like them a lot.

Here's the article link: Pentax K10D Lightroom custom develop settings « robertsdonovan.com
07-12-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Congratulations on your K10D! They're getting older, but are still great cameras. A member of my camera club who sells used gear asked me to bring my K10D to our meeting last night. He had picked up a Tokina auto-focus lens in a Pentax mount and wanted to see if it worked. (He called me because I'm about the only person left in our club who still shoots Pentax.) I left my camera on a side table during the meeting and when I went over to pick it up afterwards, my friend (a die-hard Nikon guy) said, "That is a GREAT feeling camera!" I said, "It's a chunk, isn't it? Feels like a serious camera." The guy said, "Yes, it does." It seemed to be a real eye-opener for him. I had a similar experience several years earlier with a professional photographer. He simply picked up my camera to move it off the table where we were and was immediately struck by the solid feel. He couldn't believe it was a Pentax.
07-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've got the K10d and love it!!! I shoot Raw (DNG) + Highest JPEG and almost always use the JPEG image with a bit of PP using Faststone.org for the internet. If I plan to print, I will always use the Raw file...

Out of camera JPEG images are, for me, always very acceptable but you need exposure and more important, white balance close. I tend to expose "left of center", meaning, a bit under exposed so as to avoid blown highlights. I rarely shoot above ISO 100 but have used ISO 1250 with acceptable results. When using higher ISO's (above 320+) I will try to over expose just a little.

Also, the sensor on the K10d is rated higher than the K20d and K7, in fact overall sensor score on the K10d is only beaten by the K5, K-r and K-x dSLR's. Checked at: DxOMark - DxOMark by DxO Labs

I love the size and bulk of the K10d, pairs well with all my Manual lenses, now to decide if I want a grip or not...

You made a good choice, congrats!
07-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Gratz in your new baby!! I think (and many agree) that the k10D is one of the all time best low iso performers from Pentax even though it is a few years old.

I set my jpgs to +1.0 but like other said, better to shoot raw.

I just picked up a k-x for high iso stuff and will keep the k10 for anything in good light!!

07-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy your new camera.

I've been enjoying mine for four years now.

Tom G