Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Jpeg settings for k200d

Anyone out there shooting great shots in jpeg with their 200d? What setting are you using? I shoot RAW now but am wanting to try jpeg again. Shots I've taken in the past have usually come out flat. Thank you.

07-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The question in my mind is why jpeg? I personally see absolutely no advantages to jpeg capture. I can create jpeg versions in seconds when I need them, but with a jpeg, in tricky lighting, I want the ability to work on the image. Even white balance corrections are more difficult on a jpeg, let alone over/under exposure.
07-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If there was one best set of JPEG settings, those would be the defaults, with no possibility of changing them. It's completely subjective. Sounds like from your description of the defaults as "flat" you'd probably liek either the contrast or saturation or both turned up, or maybe bright or even vibrant mode. Mst likely, though, you'll find you prefer different settings in different situations. There's no substitute for experimenting on your own to find out what *you* like.
07-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you Marc for addressing my question. It sounds like as much work up front in JPEG as there is PP in RAW. So I should just stick to RAW.

To answer your question CR. I have a friend who has a Nikon D90 who just shoots JPEG and her pictures come out great most of the time compared to my JPEGS shot with default settings. I was just curious to see if it was possible to tweak the settings to get images close to hers. She btw just shoots auto everything.

07-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iClick Quote
Thank you Marc for addressing my question. It sounds like as much work up front in JPEG as there is PP in RAW. So I should just stick to RAW.

To answer your question CR. I have a friend who has a Nikon D90 who just shoots JPEG and her pictures come out great most of the time compared to my JPEGS shot with default settings. I was just curious to see if it was possible to tweak the settings to get images close to hers. She btw just shoots auto everything.
The difference between the two JPEG renderings is the in camera processing. You should be able to set your camera to do the same as the D90 with a bit of tweaking. Probably add saturation and contrast. Pentax defaults are generally to my personal taste of reality, but many prefer the high constrast, saturated look.
07-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iClick Quote
. . . in jpeg with their 200d
You haven't mentioned if you're familiar with the custom settings in the FN mode and how you use WB. I find an occasional review of the K200 manual useful for definitions of the possible settings.

The pre-sets on the knob offer an easy, and a standard and repeatable, point of departure for comparing results but it's useful to know what the pre-set adjustments are to understand what custom controls are applied. I've found I can learn a lot about the characteristics of the custom controls by attempting to match a given pre-set mode.

H2