Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Experience on kx with Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying eyepiece

I got my O-ME53 last week and put it on my kx for the trip in NJ. I wear glasses and my friend does not, both of us are the kx user. We find out the O-ME53 could do its job as spec said, but there is an issue. We can not see the whole frame in the viewfinder. We only see the center object in the center clearly, but not the background and things around the center object. Well....It is good for macro(using live view and zoom in are the best way), but not for daily/regular shooting.

07-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It is also quite good for manual focus lenses. And it is also handy for keeping one's nose away from the back of the camera

But yeah, it's the nature of the O-ME53 that it only enlarges the central portion of the focus screen. That does make framing more awkward.
07-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most people find they get used to the lack of full viewfinder coverage eventually. I know I did. I started out swapping it out with the standard eyepiece depending on situation, but after a while I stopped seeing a need to ever take it off.
07-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

If you want something to aid manual focusing I suggest you go another route - search "LCD Viewfinder" on ebay - cheaper and much, much better. The only problem is that this is a specialty item that should be used only when necessary and removed immediately after use (the sun WILL damage the lcd screen if you leave your camera with this on).

I have the O-ME53 on my K7 all the time. The slightly smaller field of view really does not bother me at all. The lower portion of the viewfinder display is a bit tougher to see but this is a non-issue for me. The only problem is that this thing can fall off easily after a light impact so it can and will sometimes get lost. Attaching it back is no problem though (no damage so far, despite disconnecting numerous times). In short - good product, but I would invest in a viewfinder first if manual focussing is your thing.

07-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Most people find they get used to the lack of full viewfinder coverage eventually.
+1 on this...
Hard to explain but you just kind of 'know' where/how to frame the shot you want fairly quickly...
I really struggled with the K-x (I'm a glasses wearer) until I fitted the O-ME53...

Played with a K5 in local camera shop recently and didn't have the same issue at all... One year to go at uni before I get a proper job (again) and can justify an upgrade