Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sensor is dirty or what?

I am a kx user and bought it half year ago. Some dots/shallow on the up-right side of my photos recently with different lenses shooting. Does anyone know why/what causes this issue and how to fix it? Do I need to send it back to Pentax service with my warranty?

I tried the dust removal function in my kx and dust scan, it does not show any dust on the white picture. I have no idea why it happens only in half year of my ownership.

Thank You.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
07-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like typical dust on the sensor. No biggie. I had the same issue with my K100D. A few blasts with a rocket blower & it's fine now. You'll need to go into the menu & activate the "sensor cleaning" mode. It just opens up the shutter to expose the sensor. Shut the camera off when you're done to re-close the shutter and return to normal operation. You'll want to hold the body with the lens mount facing down so any dust you dislodge falls out.

If you don't have a rocket blower yet, you need one. I recommend the big one from Giottos. One of the best photo-related purchases I've ever made.

If that fails, there are sensor "squeegee" kits to clean stubborn crud from the sensor, but I'd consider that a last resort.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
07-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenneth3aracing Quote
I am a kx user and bought it half year ago. Some dots/shallow on the up-right side of my photos recently with different lenses shooting. Does anyone know why/what causes this issue and how to fix it? Do I need to send it back to Pentax service with my warranty?

I tried the dust removal function in my kx and dust scan, it does not show any dust on the white picture. I have no idea why it happens only in half year of my ownership.

Thank You.
It happens because you are not changing your lenses and using your camera in a class A clean environment that is devoid of air contaminants, like dust. It's a fact of DSLR life. Pentax may clean it under warranty or may not, I don't know. The good news is, it isn't difficult to do it yourself.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

07-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Kenneth, getting dust on your sensor is a part of living in the real world. If you are interested in photography and using different lenses then learn to expect dust on your sensor and learn how to deal with it.

Here is my own method - proved and successful in my hands!

1) Go to your camera menu and raise the mirror.
2) Use a blower.
3) Still Dust? - use an "Visible Dust" sensor brush (see visibledust.com).
4) 99.9% of the time problem is solved.
5) Still Dust? - use "Visible Dust" swab and cleaning fluid.
6) Close the mirror (switch off camera).

No I am not a salesman for this Company - Yes there are other methods that work equally as well - but this is the way I personally am happy to deal with dust on the sensor.

It also permits me to change lenses in less than optimum wind/dust conditions without qualms.

Last edited by stevewig; 07-12-2011 at 07:30 AM.
07-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

it looks like dust.

if the dust removal unit doesn't work, try a blower.

if the blower fails to remove the dirt, try the pentax lollipop.

if the lollipop doesn't work, try sensor-film.

it took two applications of sensor-fim before i was able to budge some really stubborn dirt stains from my sensor!
07-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Let me try the blower first, hope it's easy to remove the dust.
Thanks all suggestions.
07-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My K10D is 4 years old and I change lenses a lot. I have a blower and it works but every time I change lenses I seem to get some more crud. The spot healing tool is my friend......

07-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
spot healing tool is my friend......
Aye he's a big drinking buddy of mine too.
07-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Ah oui ... More than likely, it's dust ... I just picked up a grain on my K-7, but that's to be expected because I change A LOT with my various lens ...

Haven't attacked it for a clean, but I went by my local camera shop and they confirmed that it's a "poussière" (don't ask me how to pronounce this on a public forum) ... They didn't have a blower to sell me, so thank goodness for Internet orders. They recommended to first use a blower (not compressed air), and if it's still there afterwards, use those orange Pentax sticky cubes (Pentax "Imagesensor Cleaning Kit"). They said it's what they use all the time in their shop.

Allez, bonne chance et bon courage, Jean

PS - Minor correction - after posting, I went to the main store in the city center, and "oui", they had a blower which I snapped up ... used it, but my dust seems to be stubborn ... next step may be an orange Pentax "lollipop" ... à suivre

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 07-19-2011 at 08:30 AM.
07-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
Yes... I just received my blower from ebay. let's try in this week.
07-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Forum Member

I had similar problems with my K-x after a year....tried a rocket blower, local camera shot tried to clean it with bottled air....but when I shot at a blue sky at F22 or so...I still saw many spots like you are seeing.

I bought this
Amazon.com: Digital Survival KIT - Sensor Swab Type 2 (w/Eclipse): Camera & Photo
and though I was nervous as hell cleaning the sensor this way, after 2 cleanings I got rid of all the little black smudges....
07-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

When I change lenses, I always try to:

1) Do it in an area with as little dust and airborne crud as possible.
2) Do it in an area with no wind to blow stuff into the camera.
3) Hold the body with the lens opening facing down, so stuff doesn't fall into the body. (I think this is an important factor.)
4) Every once in awhile, give the sensor a puff with the blower while holding the body with the mount facing down, just to get rid of any dust that might be lurking.

I change lenses a lot too and to make matters worse, I have a little dog that sheds A LOT. I've been pretty lucky so far at avoiding a lot of crud on my sensor, though.
07-20-2011, 05:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
When I change lenses, I always try to:

1) Do it in an area with as little dust and airborne crud as possible.
2) Do it in an area with no wind to blow stuff into the camera.
3) Hold the body with the lens opening facing down, so stuff doesn't fall into the body. (I think this is an important factor.)
4) Every once in awhile, give the sensor a puff with the blower while holding the body with the mount facing down, just to get rid of any dust that might be lurking.

I change lenses a lot too and to make matters worse, I have a little dog that sheds A LOT. I've been pretty lucky so far at avoiding a lot of crud on my sensor, though.
Exactly what I do.

I don't understand why some people get so much cr*p on their sensors. Surely the sensor is behind the closed shutter when lens changing ?

I change lenses often and sensor dust has never been a problem. Then again, whenever possible I give the back of the lens I'm putting on a quick blast of a blower and I habitually turn the camera on with the lens pointing down to give the u/s clean a better chance.
09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Does anyone else here own and regularly use a Kx plus another Pentax body?

I have a Kx, K20d, K10d and K100d. The Kx needs a sensor cleaning more than all the other bodies put together, and it often involves liquid cleaners. I have never needed more than a rocket blower for the other bodies. Has anyone else here had this kind of experience?
09-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I suffered from dust issues as well. No amount of air would get that dust off for some reason.

I didn't want to spend more money on those specialty brush, so I used LensPen's brush (I thoroughly cleaned the brush with water, used compressed air to rid of any possible dust on the brush, and gently swiped the sensor with it once it dried completely.

Dust is gone!

I don't often clean my sensor with a dangerous method. But when I do, I do it dangerously.
Attached Images