Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax by Ricoh Corp E.T.A.

From what I've been reading Hoya sold to Ricoh

I myself feel they will give the Pentax dept a boost in R&R etc etc

My Question is when do you think we will see a Pentax by Ricoh Corp on the shelves?

07-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh have said they will continue to use the Pentax name. Ricoh wants to get into the interchangable lens business. They will continue to make cameras. By logic, there will be a Pentax camera made under Ricoh.
07-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

And the sale become effective 1 October 2011. Expect the supply chain to delay shipment of cameras with new stickers and boxes. So, maybe by Hallowe'en.
07-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And the sale become effective 1 October 2011. Expect the supply chain to delay shipment of cameras with new stickers and boxes. So, maybe by Hallowe'en.
I think I should rephrase my question.

Pentax made by Ricoh Corp. not just rebadged hoya units, or even other words a new model.

07-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobva Quote
I think I should rephrase my question.

Pentax made by Ricoh Corp. not just rebadged hoya units, or even other words a new model.
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Ricoh have said they will continue to use the Pentax name. Ricoh wants to get into the interchangable lens business. They will continue to make cameras. By logic, there will be a Pentax camera made under Ricoh.
ahem...
07-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on the approximate 18 month release cycle that Pentax seems to have used recently and the fact that the k-r and k-5 were announced in September of 2010 and that we could assume that the follow up models are already well along in development with a possible announcement in perhaps March 2012 then the first Ricoh camera design might possibly be announced in September 2014.

However, that statement is pure speculation and probably not worth the time it took to type. It was (I think) an impressive run-on sentence though!

To be more realistic I doubt anyone at Pentax or Ricoh actually knows the answer to that question yet. Things are likely to be a little confused as the new owners settle in and take stock of what they bought. Then hold strategy meetings with staff to integrate Ricoh's goals with Pentax's staff. Assuming an orderly transition they might have an internal road map in hand by the end of the year. But we will never see it unless it is leaked.
07-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Based on the approximate 18 month release cycle that Pentax seems to have used recently and the fact that the k-r and k-5 were announced in September of 2010 and that we could assume that the follow up models are already well along in development with a possible announcement in perhaps March 2012 then the first Ricoh camera design might possibly be announced in September 2014.

However, that statement is pure speculation and probably not worth the time it took to type. It was (I think) an impressive run-on sentence though!

To be more realistic I doubt anyone at Pentax or Ricoh actually knows the answer to that question yet. Things are likely to be a little confused as the new owners settle in and take stock of what they bought. Then hold strategy meetings with staff to integrate Ricoh's goals with Pentax's staff. Assuming an orderly transition they might have an internal road map in hand by the end of the year. But we will never see it unless it is leaked.
Thats funny a friend in 98499 said about the same thing.

Last edited by bobva; 07-13-2011 at 10:26 AM.
07-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Maybe they will gamble and pre-order some boxes.

07-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Even if the so-called 18-month clock is used by Ricoh, I think they would want to reset it and draw blood quickly and effectively rather than later like Fuji did with the X100 and Sigma is doing with the SD1.
07-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Even if the so-called 18-month clock is used by Ricoh, I think they would want to reset it and draw blood quickly and effectively rather than later like Fuji did with the X100 and Sigma is doing with the SD1.
Bingo! I could be terribly wrong, but I doubt Ricoh will sit on their new asset for a Moore's Law life-cycle. The times they are a-changing fast fast fast, and Ricoh-Pentax needs to react fast fast fast. Some possible scenarios, in no special order of probability:

* Announcement of a *full* KAF lens line, possibly resurrected FA's, likely FA*'s
* Maybe a mix of more budget FA's -- FA50/1.4 down to US$250, anyone?
* Maybe re-establish a Kx production line, for a bargain-priced dSLR cash-cow.
* Rebrand GXR (with lensors and mountors) as Pentax-Ricoh, with Q-AF, M-MF, and K-AF mountors, and a pile of 'official' adapters (NI, EOS, FD, LTM, etc). Adapters may be MF only, to avoid cannibalizing sales of Pentax KAF lenses.

Those are fast and easy and will attract attention. I have other hopes that likely won't happen soon:

* GXR2 to accommodate MFD mountor -- but would this cannibalize 645D sales?
* Nice cheap P&S with AF Q mount and MF C-CS-D cine-lens adapters.
* Maybe a Pentax Q-mount camcorder line. Maybe not. Are camcorders dead?

Whatever the details, expect Ricoh-Pentax to make a BIG splash in early October.
07-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever the details, expect Ricoh-Pentax to make a BIG splash in early October.
Totally agree. The pace of business (not to mention life!) just keeps getting quicker. Turn-around times for technology related products is no exception; maybe even at the forefront of this trend. Even if we here are all not out purchasing the latest and greatest, we certainly expect new models and new products just to be able to talk about the next big thing.

And I wholeheartedly wish for Ricoh to offer some great deals - I've put my LBA on the back burner for too long! I mentioned in another thread a wish for Ricoh to initiate a few holiday deals to build brand loyalty. It doesn't even have to be new stuff. It could help them clear the pipelines in preparation for new stuff.
07-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

* Rebrand GXR (with lensors and mountors) as Pentax-Ricoh, with Q-AF, M-MF, and K-AF mountors, and a pile of 'official' adapters (NI, EOS, FD, LTM, etc). Adapters may be MF only, to avoid cannibalizing sales of Pentax KAF lenses.

RioRico,
This was only one of your possible options, but I sure hope you are wrong about Ricoh possibly issuing a K mount adapter with manual focus only to avoid cannibalizing Pentax dslr sales. Thats the kind of thinking that will condemn the GXR to an early grave. Very few buyers of compact cameras are going to buy the GXR just so they can buy and use limited pancake lenses in manual mode. Not when there are several compact makes out there that have aps sensors and AF lenses - just saying it don't make sense for newcomers from the PS sensor size cameras. Sure, a few enthusiasts might buy it for some favorite manual lenses, but they are a minority out of the total possible market.

Last edited by philbaum; 07-13-2011 at 04:45 PM.
07-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
RioRico,
This was only one of your possible options, but I sure hope you are wrong about Ricoh possibly issuing a K mount adapter with manual focus only to avoid cannibalizing Pentax dslr sales. Thats the kind of thinking that will condemn the GXR to an early grave.
You are quite right. I omitted something critical. It should read:

* Rebrand GXR (with lensors and mountors) as Pentax-Ricoh, with Q-AF, M-MF, and K-AF mountors, and a pile of 'official' adapters (NI, EOS, FD, LTM, etc). The NON-PENTAX adapters may be MF only, to avoid cannibalizing sales of Pentax K-AF lenses.

That is what I meant to write. I guess my typing didn't sync with my brain. That happens...